DLR D23 Discussion & News

waltography

There is only a finite amount of space in the convention halls to hold people and more people that want to attend the key panels than the halls hold, so you can't just "scale out". Plus they don't know the exact panels they will have a year prior to the event, so you can't have people signing up a year in advance.

So there is no good solution here. You either have people camping out, sometimes overnight, for panels just to get a seat or you do some type of digital queue. There is going to be complaints either way.
Agreed.

Let's peg the daily attendance this year to be ~20,000 given that the only data point I could find for total attendance at the Expo was 65,000 at 2013 and they were probably a little more conservative than usual this year with tickets because of the pandemic. Hall D23 has a capacity of 7,000, a tiny portion of that is reserved/preferred seating (let's say 200-300), and they may set aside another block for standby (let's say 700-800 to make the math nice). That leaves 6,000 spots for the RSP process. Already we've got at least 6,000 people who simply won't see a Hall D23 panel (assuming that the Legends group is a completely unique group from the Studio Showcase group, for example).

Given that, I think reasonably they only ever had 3,000 or so StagePasses to share (since you could choose to have a +1 with you for an event). Now scaling and accounting for that situation across every panel, giveaway, and signing and weighing them all equally during the draw, I'm not shocked some people got 3 for 3 panels while others got 1 signing and 1 giveaway.

To me, the problem isn't necessarily the system but that the D23 team didn't properly set expectations for how many reservations attendees could expect to get and didn't make it apparently clear how the assigning worked.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Agreed.

Let's peg the daily attendance this year to be ~20,000 given that the only data point I could find for total attendance at the Expo was 65,000 at 2013 and they were probably a little more conservative than usual this year with tickets because of the pandemic. Hall D23 has a capacity of 7,000, a tiny portion of that is reserved/preferred seating (let's say 200-300), and they may set aside another block for standby (let's say 700-800 to make the math nice). That leaves 6,000 spots for the RSP process. Already we've got at least 6,000 people who simply won't see a Hall D23 panel (assuming that the Legends group is a completely unique group from the Studio Showcase group, for example).

Given that, I think reasonably they only ever had 3,000 or so StagePasses to share (since you could choose to have a +1 with you for an event). Now scaling and accounting for that situation across every panel, giveaway, and signing and weighing them all equally during the draw, I'm not shocked some people got 3 for 3 panels while others got 1 signing and 1 giveaway.

To me, the problem isn't necessarily the system but that the D23 team didn't properly set expectations for how many reservations attendees could expect to get and didn't make it apparently clear how the assigning worked.
Well given that the total estimates for 2017 were 100k for the Expo, and 2019 was likely more. So I would say the estimates for daily this year would probably be closer to 30-35k even with a post-pandemic drop. As the fandom has only gotten bigger not smaller since 2013.

But agree with the rest.

MarvelCharacterNerd

This is my problem. Disney uses technology in such a bad way. The lines were too long for panels, so they do it as a digital line, except it's all random.

Now dedicated people don't even have the option of waiting in line if they wanted to. It's like the 7am lottery system they use for their newest rides.

What they SHOULD have done is have people sign up for the panels they want during registration a year ago and then scale out the panels accordingly to meet demand.
I actually had no issue with the lottery as I get that they only have so much capacity. My issue was - why ask what we want if you're just going to randomly assign stuff whether we want it or not?

And I see no way to remove said unwanted reservation from my account.

Disney: "You requested the XL spirit jersey. Here is your coffee mug. Now shut up and drink and have a magical day!"

1662254719705.png

LondonTom

Agreed.

For me the problem is people getting 3 for 3 Hall D23 Panels, while other people got absolutely nothing. If you have a digital system in place, in advance of the event, you should be spreading those sought-after panels as much as possible. (E.g. once you get your first stage pass for Hall D23, you shouldn't be in the lottery for the others).

I didn't do too badly, got the 50th MSEP Panel, talent central with the Global Ambassador Team and the artist . My partner got the video games panel, Muppets Christmas Carol Panel and another 50th MSEP panel (some friends we're going with, got a bunch of Hall D23 panels including the Marvel/Star Wars Panel and Legends, and doubled up on the princess concert so we will be going to that with them)

waltography

For me the problem is people getting 3 for 3 Hall D23 Panels, while other people got absolutely nothing. If you have a digital system in place, in advance of the event, you should be spreading those sought-after panels as much as possible. (E.g. once you get your first stage pass for Hall D23, you shouldn't be in the lottery for the others).

I didn't do too badly, got the 50th MSEP Panel, talent central with the Global Ambassador Team and the artist . My partner got the video games panel, Muppets Christmas Carol Panel and another 50th MSEP panel (some friends we're going with, got a bunch of Hall D23 panels including the Marvel/Star Wars Panel and Legends, and doubled up on the princess concert so we will be going to that with them)
Congrats on the good haul! Between my sibling and I we got the Disney/Pixar Studio Showcase, the Parks panel, and some smaller panels/giveaways.

I do agree to an extent, but I also think as someone who paid for a 3-day pass I expect at least the same shot for panels as people who paid for 1-day passes (especially since the rank system they had didn't take into account priority across days; my #1 priority for the entire weekend was the Parks panel but they wouldn't know that given I also ranked both Studio Showcases the first two days first as well).

In any case, whatever algorithm they had definitely disadvantaged single parties. You and your partner (like my sibling and I) had twice as many chances to get the panels you wanted with the added bonus of getting +1s.

TP2000

I’m sure there were plenty of folks that found In Living Color to be distasteful. There was no Twitter at the time to document those opinions.

I'm sure there were, but I honestly didn't know those people in 1991. They sound boring and dull.

Thirty years ago, In Living Color was hysterical must-see TV and an American pop culture phenomenon.

Last edited:

TP2000

Are there any rumors regarding potential DCA announcements?

Good question, but I don't know of a single thing. The only DCA rumor is just how dead the Marvel E Ticket is now; dead and buried, or merely still in the freezer in the morgue awaiting burial.

MULTIPLE MSEP 50th panels?!?!?!?
They might as well just come right out and say that they've thrown the PTN floats into the ocean and anchored them to the bottom.

Just honestly, I cannot.

No kidding! Disney execs want so desperately for the MSEP to live on in all it's downsized and value engineered cheapness. You just can't help but be embarrassed for them at this point. 😞

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I'm sure there were, but I honestly didn't know those people in 1991. They sound boring and dull.

It was hysterical must-see TV and an American pop culture phenomenon.
There are millions of people in this country. You wouldn’t have known them all.

My point is every generation likes to think they’re special and that the generations that come after have these broad faults that somehow their generation lacked. It’s not true. Somehow this generation is sensitive, but the ones before somehow aren’t? Nope. It’s false reality. It’s actually rinse and repeat. I read an article written in the 1960s where the author complained about the generation at that time and called them lazy, ignorant, sensitive, etc. Sound familiar? People would have clutched their invisible pearls had In Living Color been released earlier, except maybe the 80s. The show would have never been broadcasted, actually. Plenty of Sensitive Sallies during your time and before.

Anyways, time to move on and get back on topic.

RobWDW1971

There are millions of people in this country. You wouldn’t have known them all.

My point is every generation likes to think they’re special and that the generations that come after have these broad faults that somehow their generation lacked. It’s not true. Somehow this generation is sensitive, but the ones before somehow aren’t? Nope. It’s false reality. It’s actually rinse and repeat. I read an article written in the 1960s where the author complained about the generation at that time and called them lazy, ignorant, sensitive, etc. Sound familiar? People would have clutched their invisible pearls had In Living Color been released earlier, except maybe the 80s. The show would have never been broadcasted, actually. Plenty of Sensitive Sallies during your time and before.

Anyways, time to move on and get back on topic.

Well, if you do not believe that young adults in the disco era were different than the depressed, uptight, dour, social justice warriors of today you are simply mistaken (and you missed a hell of a party).

Every generation has their unique traits - some are just insufferable and annoying. ;)

Those of us that have lived in different eras (and THANK GOD we did) can speak from actual experience, not a Google search.

(And note, the generation in the 1960's were lazy and ignorant - they were called "hippies" and they also smelled bad and are not missed)

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Well, if you do not believe that young adults in the disco era were different than the depressed, uptight, dour, social justice warriors of today you are simply mistaken (and you missed a hell of a party).

Every generation has their unique traits - some are just insufferable and annoying. ;)

Those of us that have lived in different eras (and THANK GOD we did) can speak from actual experience, not a Google search.

(And note, the generation in the 1960's were lazy and ignorant - they were called "hippies" and they also smelled bad and are not missed)
What do you think will be announced for the DLR at the Expo next weekend?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
.....it’s really DCA that needs the love.I wonder if the Eastern Gateway is holding up things over there.

That would be my guess, as I would guess they don't want to commit to a Backlot redo until they can use the space from the Harbor side entrance. As other than the Avengers E-Ticket there probably isn't a solid plan for the rest yet.

mickEblu

That would be my guess, as I would guess they don't want to commit to a Backlot redo until they can use the space from the Harbor side entrance. As other than the Avengers E-Ticket there probably isn't a solid plan for the rest yet.

Right there’s also a chance that they may want to expand Marvel into the backlot/ Eastern Gateway (I hope not). In which case the Avengers E ticket doesn’t necessarily have to go in that plot next to Cars Land with that ugly box of a show building killing sight lines. They could use that area to finally bring us the CARS edition of the Sci Fi Dine In.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Right there’s also a chance that they may want to expand Marvel into the backlot/ Eastern Gateway (I hope not). In which case the Avengers E ticket doesn’t necessarily have to go in that plot next to Cars Land with that ugly box of a show building killing sight lines. They could use that area to finally bring us the CARS edition of the Sci Fi Dine In.
I don't know about Marvel in the Backlot, but I would guess that Avengers E-Ticket is still going in the lot behind GotG:MB. They've already built the basic entrance facade for it. Also I don't think they are all that worried about sightlines that much, plus I don't think it'll be that noticable from Carsland anyways.

So while it would be cool I don't think we'll ever get the Dine-in theater type experience, just my opinion of course. :)

mickEblu

I don't know about Marvel in the Backlot, but I would guess that Avengers E-Ticket is still going in the lot behind GotG:MB. They've already built the basic entrance facade for it. Also I don't think they are all that worried about sightlines that much, plus I don't think it'll be that noticable from Carsland anyways.

So while it would be cool I don't think we'll ever get the Dine-in theater type experience, just my opinion of course. :)

Oh ya I wouldn’t put money on anything I said in my last post. Just mentioned it being a possibility with a bit of wishful thinking

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom