DLR D23 Discussion & News

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Can't tell if this post is a joke or not. I don't think the intention is everything on the poster gets a new entry.

Also the Yellow Submarine is from the ride at Disneyland. Disney was making a Yellow Submarine film with Robert Zemeckis 10 years ago but it was cancelled.

And yet, 90% of what's in the poster represents recently added or in-the-works media content or parks attraction.

I very highly doubt that's the case. Occam's Razor says that's for the relatively recent Peter Jackson Get Back documentary. There's a bunch of images that represent releases in the past year such as Mulan, which came out at about the same time.
I think the yellow sub on the poster could represent a couple different things from Disney. It could be representing Parks with Nemo to even representing NatGeo (now under the Disney umbrella) with Jacques Cousteau who was famous for his yellow sub which is not far off from that image.

However with that said, I would say its less likely to be the Beatles as it doesn't even look like the Yellow Submarine from the Beatles album/cartoon, not even close.

If I was to guess just based on the image itself, it would be Nemo from Disneyland.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think the yellow sub on the poster could represent a couple different things from Disney. It could be representing Parks with Nemo to even representing NatGeo (now under the Disney umbrella) with Jacques Cousteau who was famous for his yellow sub which is not far off from that image.

However with that said, I would say its less likely to be the Beatles as it doesn't even look like the Yellow Submarine from the Beatles album/cartoon, not even close.

If I was to guess just based on the image itself, it would be Nemo from Disneyland.
Well then, they got two Nautiluses on the poster!!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
OK, I'm stumped over this:

1662146189634.png

There's already a Captain America shield and a Pixar ball.

This is very much a Texas Ranger badge, and it matches the one that The Lone Ranger wore in the poorly received Disney movie. Surely they wouldn't be referencing a movie that bombed? Is there a D+ project in the works?

Maybe it's a stylized chest emblem of Sam Wilson's Captain America suit?

It's not anything like Woody's sheriff badge.

So?...

Disney Irish

Premium Member
OK, I'm stumped over this:

View attachment 664178

There's already a Captain America shield and a Pixar ball.

This is very much a Texas Ranger badge, and it matches the one that The Lone Ranger wore in the poorly received Disney movie. Surely they wouldn't be referencing a movie that bombed? Is there a D+ project in the works?

Maybe it's a stylized chest emblem of Sam Wilson's Captain America suit?

It's not anything like Woody's sheriff badge.

So?...
All Star Resorts?
New HotStar logo?

TP2000

This just tells me that you don’t watch television.

I'm a cord cutter, like most of America. I cancelled Cable TV two years ago and never missed it. I haven't watched a Network TV show (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, etc.) in over a decade now.

But I have HD antennas on all my TV's that gets them all, and many more, for free. In case they actually have a show I want to watch again, but I'm still waiting. Or if there's a national or local emergency.

I don't even watch the local TV news any more. The 20th century is over.

Does anybody?

No kidding. I don't exactly run in a young crowd, ahem, but even my generation doesn't watch TV any more. It's streaming services like Amazon and Netflix, curated YouTube content, and a few targeted news or sports Apps that are run on our TV's via WiFi now.

But tuning in to television shows from the old networks like ABC or CBS? It's been years now since I did that.

Who does watch TV any more? People who can't get high speed Internet, or can't afford high speed Internet?

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I'm a cord cutter, like most of America. I cancelled Cable TV two years ago and never missed it. I haven't watched a Network TV show (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, etc.) in over a decade now.
I can tell, given that a few people on that list come from ABC’s most popular television show ever, which has been running since 2005, nearly 20 years.

Streaming counts as forms of television.

TP2000

I'll give you a hand with this summary:

9 are actors/actresses that have worked at Disney in one form or another from TV to Movies.
2 are from WDI
2 are from Studios
1 is from primarily Parks/Legal, specifically was "key" in helping acquire the land where WDW is today.

Thank you, that's actually very helpful to see it laid out like that.

I still only positively know of three of them; Frozen snowman guy, Black Panther guy who passed away suddenly, and the lady who had her name butchered at the Oscars by John Travolta.

The other dozen people I've never heard of are obviously LEGENDS! 🤔

TP2000

I can tell, given that a few people on that list come from ABC’s most popular television show ever, which has been running since 2005, nearly 20 years.

Streaming counts as forms of television.

In the 20th Century the three networks, plus PBS and Fox, were a daily part of my life. I can still remember that Friends was on NBC on Thursday's. I think it was at 9pm, the same night as Seinfeld. I was an early adopter of The Tracy Ullman Show on Fox, and never missed In Living Color on Fox too back then.

But now? I can't remember the last time I watched a network prime time TV show. I don't know anyone who does, quite frankly. And I couldn't tell you what those shows are called, or who is in them.

At dinner parties and sociables, my crowd now just discusses the latest streaming content on Netflix, AppleTV+, etc.

TP2000

I just Googled. Currently the four big TV networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) are averaging a combined nightly viewership from 8pm to 10pm of only 20 Million people. In a nation of 330 Million. That has declined 10 Million people just since 2015, and it continues to drop even further.

NBC is rumored to be ready to abandon it's 10pm prime time slot entirely, and turn it over to local programming.

And if you go back to the 1990's, the combined nightly viewership for the four networks was above 60 Million per night, even though the USA population was only 265 Million in 1995. Depending on the night in the 1990's, an individual network could pull in over 20 Million viewers just to that one network in prime time.

Now? The networks can't even get that many all combined together.

If you tried to tell a 20th century American that network TV would die away in the 21st century, they would have thought you were nuts. 🤣

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I just Googled. Currently the four big TV networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) are averaging a combined nightly viewership from 8pm to 10pm of only 20 Million people. In a nation of 330 Million. That has declined 10 Million people just since 2015, and it continues to drop even further.

And if you go back to the 1990's, the combined nightly viewership for the four networks was above 60 Million per night, even though the USA population was only 265 Million in 1995. Depending on the night in the 1990's, an individual network could pull in over 20 Million viewers just to that one network in prime time.

Now? The networks can't even get that many all combined together.

If you tried to tell a 20th century American that network TV would die away in the 21st century, they would have thought you were nuts. 🤣

You may know this, or maybe have not realized it, but all of the networks stream their shows on some streamer. For example ABC being part of Disney streams on Hulu in the US.

So while traditional TV nightly viewership is going down, streaming viewership is going up. Which is why streaming is now a big part of every studio/networks portfolio.

TP2000

60 Million people watching network TV in 1995 was 22% of Americans then (US population 265 Million)

20 Million people watching network TV in 2022 is 6% of Americans now (US population 332 Million)

No wonder network TV shows never come up in dinner party conversation any longer.

That is not to take away from the work these "Legends" have done. I'm sure they're nice people, who have real talent, and have worked very hard in their careers. But it's getting harder to find TV personalities who are known by a large portion of Americans.

RobWDW1971

...and never missed In Living Color on Fox too back then.
Aaaah "In Living Color". A better time.

I only wish it was mandatory viewing for today's overly serious, humorless youth - their little heads would explode. Makes today's toothless "Saturday Night Live" look like "Sesame Street".

They would also be confused how there could possibly be a network TV show produced, written, and starring blacks in 1990 when they were all obviously enslaved during that awful period and waiting for today's enlightened, progressive Instagrammers to free them from their plight.

Vegas Disney Fan

But I have HD antennas on all my TV's that gets them all, and many more, for free. In case they actually have a show I want to watch again, but I'm still waiting. Or if there's a national or local emergency.

I don't even watch the local TV news any more. The 20th century is over.

No kidding.
I don't exactly run in a young crowd, ahem, but even my generation doesn't watch TV any more. It's streaming services like Amazon and Netflix, curated YouTube content, and a few targeted news or sports Apps that are run on our TV's via WiFi now.

But tuning in to television shows from the old networks like ABC or CBS? It's been years now since I did that.

Who does watch TV any more? People who can't get high speed Internet, or can't afford high speed Internet?

I used to have the 150+ channel cable package for sports but with ESPN+ now bundled with Disney+ I don’t even need cable for sports anymore. I still have the basic $20 cable package, something like 25 channels, but other than the NHL and NCAA football on the network channels I can’t remember the last time I actually watched a show on it. Probably something from the 70s or 80s playing on MeTV.

We have Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+, Amazon prime, and Netflix and most of our tv viewing is still YouTube.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
But it's getting harder to find TV personalities who are known by a large portion of Americans.
I don't know about that. Maybe in your small sample size within your social circle they are unknown. But if you poll a large cross section of the American population I'd be willing to bet that a large percentage still know a large portion of the stars on shows on network TV. For example I can confidently say I knew every single one of the actors/actresses on the Legends list, because I either watched or knew of their show or movie.

TP2000

Aaaah "In Living Color". A better time.

I only wish it was mandatory viewing for today's overly serious, humorless youth - their little heads would explode. Makes today's toothless "Saturday Night Live" look like "Sesame Street".

They would also be confused how there could possibly be a network TV show produced, written, and starring blacks in 1990 when they were all obviously enslaved during that awful period and waiting for today's enlightened, progressive Instagrammers to free them from their plight.

THANK YOU! Beautifully said. The kids today are all so humorless and dour. They can't laugh at themselves, much less laugh with others about themselves.

In Living Color was hysterical must-watch TV for me and my friends in the early 90's. We weren't the targeted demographic for the show's creators (as middle age gays, when it was aimed at the college crowd), but we loved it. It was on in every gay bar in America back then, just to see the latest moves the Fly Girls would come up with, and to pray to God that they would do a "Men On..." skit that week.

And if a "Men On..." skit showed up, the whole gay bar stopped dead in its tracks. I miss that America.

Last edited:

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I used to have the 150+ channel cable package for sports but with ESPN+ now bundled with Disney+ I don’t even need cable for sports anymore. I still have the basic $20 cable package, something like 25 channels, but other than the NHL and NCAA football on the network channels I can’t remember the last time I actually watched a show on it. Probably something from the 70s or 80s playing on MeTV.

We have Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+, Amazon prime, and Netflix and most of our tv viewing is still YouTube.
When I started living on my own again about a year ago I didn't subscribe to any cable or satellite tv. Moved strictly to streaming and my Plex server.

I FINALLY convinced my parents to cut the cord about 6 months ago (they were paying upwards of close to $300/month for cable) and they now have YouTube TV to continue watching their shows and my shared Plex server for other things.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
In Living Color was cancelled in 1994 due to Fox wanting Keenan Ivory Wayans to tone down jokes, to which Wayans refused. There were creative control issues and the show was cancelled. In 1994.

So who wasn’t laughing at themselves in the early 90s?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom