Disney's Reaction to Harry Potter Details?

_Scar

Universal has a lot of "kid" rides. Tons of play areas, Pteranadon Flyers, Storm Force, Flying Unicorn, Caroseussel, One Fish Two Fish, Sky Trolley, Cat in the Hat, Nuthouse Coaster, Barney, Jimmy Neutron, ET, etc..... the problem is with the exception of ET, Cat, and MAYBE Neutron and the Trolley, all of those rides are aimed almost squarely at kids. Universal has an issue with appealing to a wide range of audiences - it's either aimed at teens & adults, or young children. We need more rides like Shrek, Disaster, ET, Cat in the Hat, and so such that appeal to the ENTIRE family. The best types of rides to accomplish that in my opinion? Detail-infused, heavy AA-populated dark rides similar to ET and Cat in the Hat. Gives the park a lot of charm and lots of capacity in the family department.

Height restrictions, height restrictions, height restrictions.

_Scar

Pteranodon Flyers -- 36 to 56 inches (no adult riders without children)

The Flying Unicorn -- 36 inches

E.T. Adventure - Must be at least 34"

Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast™ - Must be at least 40"

MEN IN BLACK™ Alien Attack™ - Must be at least 42"

Woody Woodpecker's Nuthouse Coaster® - Must be at least 36"

The Simpsons Ride™ – Must be at least 40"

The High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride!™ - Must be 34".

So, yea....

wolf359

After reading all 31 pages of this thread and so many similar "Disney can do no right, Universal can do no wrong" posts I'm left wondering why this hasn't led to Universal having more guests.

If Disney really is too stagnant, if they're catering too much to little girls, if they can't seem to make a single attraction that has 100% approval, and if their maintainance isn't being kept to acceptable levels why hasn't Universal seen any dramatic jumps in attendance as everyone becomes more and more disenchanted with Disney?

Conversely, I keep reading how Universal has better attractions, more cutting-edge technology, better maintainance, more creativity, and seems to be superior in any possible way, so what are they missing that would allow them to have some kind of breakthrough in their attendance?

The attendance figures show that in spite of how much Universal has done, none of it has translated into getting more people in the gates. Actually, just the opposite; Universal Studios has had consistently lower attendance since opening Islands of Adventure, and IoA itself has seen its attendance shrinking for the last few years to the point that Sea World and (gasp!) California Adventure have had more people come through the gates.

So, after looking at the figures, I guess I see Harry Potter land as being less and less of a "game-changing wake up call" and more of a last ditch stop gap measure. I'm sure they'll see some attendance growth at both parks, but my guess is it'll be more modest than what many are predicting. It's possible Universal will get back to their heyday numbers of around 7-8 million, but who knows?

Star Tours 2.0 is a step in the right direction, if only they would continue to do additions like this in the future instead of focusing on meet and greets.

PhantomX

After reading all 31 pages of this thread and so many similar "Disney can do no right, Universal can do no wrong" posts I'm left wondering why this hasn't led to Universal having more guests.

If Disney really is too stagnant, if they're catering too much to little girls, if they can't seem to make a single attraction that has 100% approval, and if their maintainance isn't being kept to acceptable levels why hasn't Universal seen any dramatic jumps in attendance as everyone becomes more and more disenchanted with Disney?

Because Walt Disney World is still skating by on the company's past legacy and Walt's good name. Compare the 00s to the 70s/80s/90s it was a major downgrade in quality and attractions. People are starting to realize it slowly now and the recession combined with Universal's aggressiveness is beginning to reveal WDW's weaknesses.

And no updating Star Tours with an episode 1 film (which should have been done a decade ago) and rethemeing toontown and adding Mermaid isnt going to cut it.

RSoxNo1

Even the Cat in the Hat ride isn't safe for kids. Unlike the Disney dark rides, there's no lap sitting infants.

Islands of Adventure is not a park for young children, it is a park that caters to teenagers and young adults.

Skip

Conversely, I keep reading how Universal has better attractions, more cutting-edge technology, better maintainance, more creativity, and seems to be superior in any possible way, so what are they missing that would allow them to have some kind of breakthrough in their attendance?

The attendance figures show that in spite of how much Universal has done, none of it has translated into getting more people in the gates. Actually, just the opposite; Universal Studios has had consistently lower attendance since opening Islands of Adventure, and IoA itself has seen its attendance shrinking for the last few years to the point that Sea World and (gasp!) California Adventure have had more people come through the gates.

So, after looking at the figures, I guess I see Harry Potter land as being less and less of a "game-changing wake up call" and more of a last ditch stop gap measure. I'm sure they'll see some attendance growth at both parks, but my guess is it'll be more modest than what many are predicting. It's possible Universal will get back to their heyday numbers of around 7-8 million, but who knows?

I honestly feel the reason Disney has more guests than Universal is because it is a more established, recognized brand with a lot of nostalgia and warm, happy feelings associated with it. It's also got a FAR superior marketing team. I am of the opinion that at the present moment, despite its faults, Universal Orlando is a better vacation destination than Walt Disney World (Disneyland Resort is another story). I feel if Universal had been around for as long as Disney (remember - WDW is approaching 40 years of existence. This year is Universal's 20th), and it actually had a competent marketing team, then we'd be in a very different position right now.

The point I'm trying to make here is there's a variety of factors as to why Disney has more guests than Universal, and which resort has more guests does not affect the resort's actual quality.

Skip

Even the Cat in the Hat ride isn't safe for kids. Unlike the Disney dark rides, there's no lap sitting infants.

Islands of Adventure is not a park for young children, it is a park that caters to teenagers and young adults.

Islands of Adventure is accommodating of young children (see - Storm Force, One Fish Two Fish, If I Ran the Zoo, Caroseussel, Trolley, debatably Poseidon, Sinbad Flying Unicorn, Pteranadon, Discovery Center, Camp Jurassic, The Olive) but definitely does not give them as much attention as they need. The main problem I think, as a previous poster noted, was the height restrictions - we need more rides (ala Mansion, Great Movie Ride, etc.) that have content that is enjoyable by the entire family but at the same time have no height restrictions.

As for Cat in the Hat... I'd imagine that's due to the spinning in certain portions of the ride. I feel there's only so much you can do for infants in a theme park (not saying they shouldn't accomodate, just my personal opinion).

wolf359

Because Walt Disney World is still skating by on the company's past legacy and Walt's good name. Compare the 00s to the 70s/80s/90s it was a major downgrade in quality and attractions. People are starting to realize it slowly now and the recession combined with Universal's aggressiveness is beginning to reveal WDW's weaknesses.

And no updating Star Tours with an episode 1 film (which should have been done a decade ago) and rethemeing toontown and adding Mermaid isnt going to cut it.

If all of that is true, how do you reconcile Disney's attendance gains in all four theme parks during the same period Universal has seen drops? :shrug:

And speaking specifically of Universal's "aggressiveness"... What else do they have planned? Beyond Harry Potter? With all of the hype and praise being thrown at Harry Potter, I haven't heard of anything new coming to the sister park, or is the Simpsons ride still new enough to get by on? I ask because I honestly don't know, because I don't keep up with Universal, so I'm curious what else they have planned. Is Harry Potter the first in a series of major additions to both parks that are going to keep pressure on Disney, or is Universal going to milk Harry Potter 'till the shine is long gone and everyone is wondering why they "still" have a Harry Potter area.

JT3000

And speaking specifically of Universal's "aggressiveness"... What else do they have planned? Beyond Harry Potter? With all of the hype and praise being thrown at Harry Potter, I haven't heard of anything new coming to the sister park, or is the Simpsons ride still new enough to get by on?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Rip_Ride_Rockit

This is the third year in a row that they've opened a major attraction.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Depending on what you are looking for in a vacation destination, Uni can offer a person so much more then WDW these days. That used to never be the case. For example if you are a young adult such as myself, I am 27. I like to be able to go out at night, I do not want to just sit in my hotel room after 10 pm. Disney has shuttered PI and they have nothing coming down the line to replace it. Meanwhile Uni has city walk, which is an awesome nightlife spot.

If I want to enjoy a more thrilling style of ride, then WDW has no hope. They have stopped developing thrill rides. I can only think of 3 that have opened across all the parks in the last 15 years. WDW should cater to all age groups, and lately they have not been trying to do that.

Now with the addition of WWoHP, Uni may be stealing a little of the one thing Disney still does amazingly. The ability to transport you, to feel the magic surrounding you. Thats what pulls me back to WDW year after year. Although Uni is stealing me away for a little more time as those years pass. And this year they will get me for even more time on my next trip.

I love WDW, I will probably never stop going, but as time passes Uni is getting closer to being a full split of my vacation dollars. I am still holding out hope that WDW turns the tide, but it does not look promising.

Dinoman96

And you have to admit, at least Universal is giving love to both of its theme parks. Studios got HRRR, and IOA is soon to get Potter. Compared that to WDW ignoring half of its theme parks. :dazzle:

kittybubbles

I'm posting on my DW's account. Count me in the group that doesn't think that UNI and Disney are really competing for the same audience.

I have not been to UNI in at least 10 years, I do prefer the type of Rides UNI has and I would love to revisit the parks some day, but it really is not for us right now.

As a family of 3 (DD is 4 and has just reached 40 inches in height). A trip to UNI would not be spent as family time in the way it is a WDW (we live around 2.5 hours south). I would love to spend less for an annual pass, pay less for a room (w/ more room) and all as I would at UNI.

But, one of us would need to stay w/ DD while the other went off and enjoyed the rides that UNI has to offer, meanwhile, DD would see rides that she would want to try just to be told that she is not tall enough. To me, it just seems we would spend a lot of time apart on a visit to IoA or USF and it would not really be family time spent together.

Another factor id the presence of alcohol. When we are at WDW during Food and Wine, if we are at Epcot on a FRI. or SAT. night and I start feeling like we are at a tailgate party for a Jimmy Buffet show, we can go to Magic Kingdom and forget about it. If UNI still sells cocktails in glasses that guest where around their necks, it might not be something I want to expose my daughter to and we might not be able to avoid it.

I also wonder about UNI's marketing. I know campaigns need to be planned in advanced, but down here, the were advertising Rip-Ride-Rocket as open long before it ever opened....I saw an ad last night for Harry Potter that stated it was 'opening this Spring'. I just wonder if things like this cause credibility issues for folks down here that might invest in a trip just to feel mis-lead.

magic2me

Universal has a lot of "kid" rides. Tons of play areas, Pteranadon Flyers, Storm Force, Flying Unicorn, Caroseussel, One Fish Two Fish, Sky Trolley, Cat in the Hat, Nuthouse Coaster, Barney, Jimmy Neutron, ET, etc..... the problem is with the exception of ET, Cat, and MAYBE Neutron and the Trolley, all of those rides are aimed almost squarely at kids. Universal has an issue with appealing to a wide range of audiences - it's either aimed at teens & adults, or young children. We need more rides like Shrek, Disaster, ET, Cat in the Hat, and so such that appeal to the ENTIRE family. The best types of rides to accomplish that in my opinion? Detail-infused, heavy AA-populated dark rides similar to ET and Cat in the Hat. Gives the park a lot of charm and lots of capacity in the family department.

ITA

I am an adult but I do not like coasters. Universal just ignores my demographic. Disney doesnot.

Todd L

I have two kids, a 15 year old daughter and a 4 year old son...When my daughter was little we took her to Disney.
As she got older we went to universal every year and NEVER left the property...We stayed at all of the Hotels there and know those parks like the back of our hands. They really seem eager to please and go out of their way to make everything as good as it can be.

When my son came along we all went to universal when he was 1 (didnt matter much because he was so little he didnt care where we were)

Last year was his first trip to Disney and we are going back this summer at His request..........Now dont get me wrong we all love Disney But If it werent for my son this would have been a Universal trip instead.

We already have plans to spend a week at Universal March 2011 and Im so excited to see the Harry Potter attractions and Go on all my old favorites at Ioa/u.s.

My son will be 5 and a 1/2 then and I can almost guarantee that my next 3 or 4 Orlando area vacations will be to Universal Due to the fact that Hell be at the age where Spiderman, the xmen, the Mummy and Harry Potter will be much more appealing to him than Mickey and Company....

wolf359

No kidding. I guess a big roller coaster that was very unique in its design wasn't significant enough to show up on wolf's radar...

Hey like I said earlier, I'm asking specifically because I freely admit Universal doesn't show up on my radar. I've been to Universal in Hollywood a few times when I was a kid, but that never captured my imagination like Disneyland, and later Walt Disney World did, so consequently the Florida Universal parks never got my attention either.

I'm glad to see that they are making some big improvements and trying to compete with Disney, but at the same time I still wouldn't know a thing about what was going on if there weren't a million threads here talking about Universal.

RSoxNo1

In my opinion, Universal Studios Hollywood is substantially worse than Universal Studios Orlando. When you add in Islands of Adventure it's really no contest.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

I'm glad to see that they are making some big improvements and trying to compete with Disney, but at the same time I still wouldn't know a thing about what was going on if there weren't a million threads here talking about Universal.

And your limited knowledge signifies what? I dont know much about the many limited interest sports played only in the former colonies. Go figure. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom