Disney's Reaction to Harry Potter Details?

Skip

ITA

I am an adult but I do not like coasters. Universal just ignores my demographic. Disney doesnot.

Inaccurate statement. If you don't like roller coasters, then you count out Dueling Dragons, Hulk, Rockit, and possibly Mummy. At Disney, you can count out Rock'n'Roller Coaster, Expedition Everest, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad... hey look at that, they have the SAME amount of coasters! Universal has PLENTY of attractions with demographics that include adults that do not consist of roller coasters.

BigThunderMatt

huh? Universal has less coasters than Disney does.

Universal has Hulk, Dueling Dragons, soon to be Dragon Challenge (which does count as 2 as the track layouts are not identical), Flying Unicorn, Pteradon Flyers (which is technically a coaster), Mummy, Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, and Woody Woodpecker.

WDW has Space Mountain (which only counts as one since the tracks are mirror images of one another), Big Thunder Mountain, Goofy's Barnstormer, Rock 'n Rollercoaster, Expedition Everest and Primeval Whirl (which also only counts as one since the tracks are mirrored identical layouts).

So if my math is right, Universal has eight coasters, WDW has six.

_Scar

Universal has Hulk, Dueling Dragons, soon to be Dragon Challenge (which does count as 2 as the track layouts are not identical), Flying Unicorn, Pteradon Flyers (which is technically a coaster), Mummy, Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, and Woody Woodpecker.

WDW has Space Mountain (which only counts as one since the tracks are mirror images of one another), Big Thunder Mountain, Goofy's Barnstormer, Rock 'n Rollercoaster, Expedition Everest and Primeval Whirl (which also only counts as one since the tracks are mirrored identical layouts).

So if my math is right, Universal has eight coasters, WDW has six.

Pteradon Flyers is not a roller coaster. If it is, then so is Peter Pan's flight. :lol:

Splash Mountain is on a track on the drops and on the small lift. Count that.

And if we want to get really technical, Space Mountain's layouts are not identical. One is 10 feet longer. :animwink:

Glasgow

There is no denying that UNI and IOA have some fantastic rides .. I don't think that should be in question. The part that is lacking is the "X" factor .. the magic .. the je' nais sais quais (-5 sp). They need to do a better job of presentation, of tying everything together.

From my last UNI experience 2 years ago, I found lots to like with the rides but there just were not enough of them. Plus, I just wasn't feeling like I was in a 'fantastic' place .. I felt like I was at a carnival with some really great rides. I hope once WWoHP is finished they will do a better job of integrating the whole park so once you walk beyond the cool front gates that you never lose the sense that you are somewhere special.

I don't know how to explain it any better than that. I certainly give UNI their due to going out on a limb (if you can call it that ... the HP franchise is only 9 or 10 years old now and the characters have just about graduated from college). Bottom line -- money talks. We'll see the bottom line when earnings come out ..

Mouse Detective

I saw an ad last night for Harry Potter that stated it was 'opening this Spring'. I just wonder if things like this cause credibility issues for folks down here that might invest in a trip just to feel mis-lead.

Universal is selling hotel packages that include guaranteed use of Harry Potter beginning May 28th. That's "Spring". In addition, it's highly likely that there will be soft openings well-before then; the ride will be open at random times just like HRRR was when it first started.

Not discussed so far: minimum height for WWoHP is 48". A lot of very interested small kids will not be able to board.

maleficentfan

Universal is selling hotel packages that include guaranteed use of Harry Potter beginning May 28th. That's "Spring". In addition, it's highly likely that there will be soft openings well-before then; the ride will be open at random times just like HRRR was when it first started.

Not discussed so far: minimum height for WWoHP is 48". A lot of very interested small kids will not be able to board.

Yes, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. They will however be able to ride Flight of the Hippogriff.

BigThunderMatt

Pteradon Flyers is not a roller coaster. If it is, then so is Peter Pan's flight. :lol:

Splash Mountain is on a track on the drops and on the small lift. Count that.

And if we want to get really technical, Space Mountain's layouts are not identical. One is 10 feet longer. :animwink:

Pteradon Flyers has a lift and station mechanics that qualify it as a roller coaster. There are multiple types of coaster variations that can hang below the track and still be qualified as a coaster. Pteradon Flyers uses a chain lift, gravity and brakes to complete its course. Peter Pan's Flight uses vehicles that do not rely on gravity and speed to complete their circuit and therefore cannot qualify as a roller coaster.

_Scar

Pteradon Flyers has a lift and station mechanics that qualify it as a roller coaster. There are multiple types of coaster variations that can hang below the track and still be qualified as a coaster. Pteradon Flyers uses a chain lift, gravity and brakes to complete its course. Peter Pan's Flight uses vehicles that do not rely on gravity and speed to complete their circuit and therefore cannot qualify as a roller coaster.

ROFL :lol:

Alright it is a coaster then. What's your point?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
There is no denying that UNI and IOA have some fantastic rides .. I don't think that should be in question. The part that is lacking is the "X" factor .. the magic .. the je' nais sais quais (-5 sp). .

Ahhhh the old pixie dust post, Its like Disney is a religion requiring faith rather than rides. Comedy gold.

magic2me

Inaccurate statement. If you don't like roller coasters, then you count out Dueling Dragons, Hulk, Rockit, and possibly Mummy. At Disney, you can count out Rock'n'Roller Coaster, Expedition Everest, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad... hey look at that, they have the SAME amount of coasters! Universal has PLENTY of attractions with demographics that include adults that do not consist of roller coasters.
I don't ride RnR, EE or SM. I can do BTMRR.

Universal has more coasters, especially at IOA as a % of the total number of rides compared to Disney. I have way more rides I can do at Disney over Uni.

Monorail_Orange

I don't ride RnR, EE or SM. I can do BTMRR.

Universal has more coasters, especially at IOA as a % of the total number of rides compared to Disney. I have way more rides I can do at Disney over Uni.

Also, bear in mind that IOA's coasters are considerably more intense than any of Disney's. Hulk/Dueling Dragons is severe compared to RnR. I have not ridden Mummy or HRRR, so I can't compare. I can tell you I can ride Hulk once, then I need to stay off it for a bit, or else i have trouble walking straight even after two rides in a row (getting off, walking around, getting back on through queue). RnR, on the other hand, I can ride repeat, even back-to-back (literally staying in the limo through unload/load) at least 5 times without any issue.

My point being IOA's coasters attract mostly hard-core coaster fans. Disney's coasters are more aimed to a family looking for a thrill. A lot more people can/are willing to ride RnR, EE, SM, and BTMRR than Hulk and Dueling Dragons.

RSoxNo1

Islands of Adventure, and to a lesser extent the main Universal park has/have a greater percentage of attractions that are not family friendly.

You can classify those as being anything with a height requirement, but that's not entirely accurate. All this means is that there are less attractions at the Universal parks that can be done by the entire family vs. those in the Disney parks.

The Universal attractions that are good for kids, are not necessarily good for the rest of the family.

At Islands of Adventure
Teen/Adult demographic: Spiderman, Hulk, Dudley Do Right, Dragon Challenge, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, Popeye and Bluto's*(This could be argued as a family ride but I believe it has a height requirement)

Family Friendly: Cat in the Hat* (it still spins a bit, and you can't take infants on it), Jurassic Park* (I believe it has a height requirement), Flight of the Hippogriff (I haven't been on this, but I assume the "thrill" will be comparable to Barnstormer, Poseidon's Adventure, Not sure if the Stunt Show is still there

Kids: Carousousel, One Fish Two Fish spinner, Dr. Seuss train, Pteranadon Flyers* (Adults can only ride with one child)

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but the best rides in the park are those that target the Teen/Adult demographic.

Daddymouse

Count me as one who would like to see WOHP. I will wait a few years because nothing else at Uni is of much interest to me to pay for a ticket. If I want to ride roller coasters I can go to Cedar Point which puts every coaster park to shame.

RSoxNo1

E.T., Jimmy Neutron and the rest of the Nick Toons, and Shrek aren't family friendly? :shrug:

Even Woody Woodpecker.

I would argue that Universal Studios is perhaps more family friendly than Hollywood Studios. If you read the rest of my post though, I was mainly focusing on Islands of Adventure. IOA is not a family friendly park.

_Scar

I would argue that Universal Studios is perhaps more family friendly than Hollywood Studios. If you read the rest of my post though, I was mainly focusing on Islands of Adventure. IOA is not a family friendly park.

Oh, when I read Universal I automatically assumed USF. :shrug: Sorry

Skip

This I'm going to have to agree with. While Islands of Adventure accomodates small children and families... adequately, perhaps, the clear aim is at teenagers and up. There need to be more giant, elaborate family attractions with no height requirement (ala Haunted Mansion or Great Movie Ride or Cat in the Hat) in order for Islands of Adventure to become a more balanced park. Islands' best attractions all have height requirements.

Universal Studios fares a lot better with a plethora of no height requirement rides and family-friendly shows. Still, another big ET, Jaws, or Disaster type ride would not hurt.

basas

This I'm going to have to agree with. While Islands of Adventure accomodates small children and families... adequately, perhaps, the clear aim is at teenagers and up. There need to be more giant, elaborate family attractions with no height requirement (ala Haunted Mansion or Great Movie Ride or Cat in the Hat) in order for Islands of Adventure to become a more balanced park. Islands' best attractions all have height requirements.

Universal Studios fares a lot better with a plethora of no height requirement rides and family-friendly shows. Still, another big ET, Jaws, or Disaster type ride would not hurt.

I wonder how the reviews will be for the Madagascar boat ride opening in Singapore. I wonder if they could fit something like this somewhere in the park. I don't know too much about this particular attraction, but I assume it is a family-friendly boat-ride attraction which would go a long way in giving IOA some balance. I've always thought there were a few problems with IOA's design:

1) Too much water. When it's cold outside, half of the major attractions become unattractive.

2) Too much outdoors. When a thunderstorm rolls in, 3/4 of the park shuts down and everyone heads to Spiderman or the Studios.

3) Not enough for those who dislike thrill rides. (I'm not saying there isn't anything because as others have shown, there is...but there should be more)

Harry Potter I think helps with all 3. I realize that Forbidden Journey will be somewhat of a thrill ride, but at least the rest of the Wizarding World and even the walk-thru portion of the castle should keep everyone interested and appeal to all ages. Another real family-friendly attraction (indoors!) would really fill the park out.

Having said all that, IOA IMO is a great park. I personally would probably put it ahead of both DAK and DHS. To compare it to Six Flags, as some here have done, is absurd.

Duckberg

WDW Ambiance/Family Friendly!

HP LATE to the gate! I think Uni should have had this attraction up years ago when there was a fever pitch for Potter. The brand may have manys fans BUT, is it growing :confused::confused::confused:

Does Disney need upgrades SURE! The overall ambiance/family friendly atmosphere @ WDW will carry the day in the long run! :sohappy: Duckberg :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom