Disney's Reaction to Harry Potter Details?

RSoxNo1

HP LATE to the gate! I think Uni should have had this attraction up years ago when there was a fever pitch for Potter. The brand may have manys fans BUT, is it growing :confused::confused::confused:

Does Disney need upgrades SURE! The overall ambiance/family friendly atmosphere @ WDW will carry the day in the long run! :sohappy: Duckberg :D

I hate when people cite one person or one example and apply that to the masses, but that's just what I'm going to do.

I read the Harry Potter books, and watched the first 6 movies solely because of what was coming to Universal Studios. I'm sure I could have enjoyed it without doing this, but considering how big a deal everyone is making about this, I wanted to be in the loop.

With all that in mind, if the environment is totally immersive like we're expecting, the land will stand the test of time, even if the franchise doesn't.

TalkingHead

Universal has Hulk, Dueling Dragons, soon to be Dragon Challenge (which does count as 2 as the track layouts are not identical), Flying Unicorn, Pteradon Flyers (which is technically a coaster), Mummy, Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, and Woody Woodpecker.

WDW has Space Mountain (which only counts as one since the tracks are mirror images of one another), Big Thunder Mountain, Goofy's Barnstormer, Rock 'n Rollercoaster, Expedition Everest and Primeval Whirl (which also only counts as one since the tracks are mirrored identical layouts).

So if my math is right, Universal has eight coasters, WDW has six.

That's some stupid logic.

Skip

I wonder how the reviews will be for the Madagascar boat ride opening in Singapore. I wonder if they could fit something like this somewhere in the park. I don't know too much about this particular attraction, but I assume it is a family-friendly boat-ride attraction which would go a long way in giving IOA some balance. I've always thought there were a few problems with IOA's design:

1) Too much water. When it's cold outside, half of the major attractions become unattractive.

2) Too much outdoors. When a thunderstorm rolls in, 3/4 of the park shuts down and everyone heads to Spiderman or the Studios.

3) Not enough for those who dislike thrill rides. (I'm not saying there isn't anything because as others have shown, there is...but there should be more)

Harry Potter I think helps with all 3. I realize that Forbidden Journey will be somewhat of a thrill ride, but at least the rest of the Wizarding World and even the walk-thru portion of the castle should keep everyone interested and appeal to all ages. Another real family-friendly attraction (indoors!) would really fill the park out.

Having said all that, IOA IMO is a great park. I personally would probably put it ahead of both DAK and DHS. To compare it to Six Flags, as some here have done, is absurd.

Great points that I completely agree with. I too agree that the Madagascar ride concept is interesting, though I'm a bit concerned about that franchise's longevity... and if anything I think it'd go somewhere in the Studios. A new family boat ride could conceivably be added to Toon Lagoon or possibly Seuss Landing, however. Or we could get some variation of that Dinosaurin` concept pitched when the park was in the design phase... (though that would of course warrant a height requirement).

whylightbulb

Challenges in the land of Potter

Hey everyone. Just thought I'd pop in and let you know how the project is coming along. Although we are going through some challenges in cycling multiple vehicles (remember we are shooting for 47) and we don't yet have all the show systems working yet, this ride is shaping up to be exactly as Universal has been hyping it. I know Universal hypes every new project and usually the reality doesn't live up to the hype but in this case I don't think they are going overboard in any way and I doubt anyone will be disappointed. All of you dark ride fans will not want to miss this groundbreaking attraction. Yes we are aiming for a mid-April soft opening but I wouldn't hold my breath. Things change on an hourly basis with this project and we still have quite a bit of work to do.

Monorail_Orange

Very cool that this one should live up to the hype! Thanks for the update! Good luck to you and the crew, those kinds of challenges are the most frustrating. Given what you guys are working on, though, you should come away deeply satisfied.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Hey everyone. Just thought I'd pop in and let you know how the project is coming along. Although we are going through some challenges in cycling multiple vehicles (remember we are shooting for 47) and we don't yet have all the show systems working yet, this ride is shaping up to be exactly as Universal has been hyping it. I know Universal hypes every new project and usually the reality doesn't live up to the hype but in this case I don't think they are going overboard in any way and I doubt anyone will be disappointed. All of you dark ride fans will not want to miss this groundbreaking attraction. Yes we are aiming for a mid-April soft opening but I wouldn't hold my breath. Things change on an hourly basis with this project and we still have quite a bit of work to do.

Thanks for the update! Good to hear that you also believe that Uni over-hype previous stuff, and that this one really does deserve the hype.

Good luck with the run-in!

ryno1982

Counting Dueling Dragons as two, but Space Mountain as one, is what makes it illogical.

By industry standards, Space Mountain is considered one coaster, just like Primeval Whirl, Gemini at Cedar Point, American Eagle at Six Flags Great America, or Colossus at Magic Mountain. And don't say that it's because Omega is like 9 feet longer or whatever.

Dueling Dragons is definitely two completely different rides.

_Scar

By industry standards, Space Mountain is considered one coaster, just like Primeval Whirl, Gemini at Cedar Point, American Eagle at Six Flags Great America, or Colossus at Magic Mountain. And don't say that it's because Omega is like 9 feet longer or whatever.

They're similar, not congruent. Booyah.

2 different coasters!

(stupidest argument I've participated in so far... :lol:)

Thanks whylightbulb! 47 vehicles... the ride must be huge..!

Pete C

100% correct!! SM has 2 mirror image tracks...you get the same experience on either side, just right or left. Dueling Dragons are 2 completely different coasters with different elements from start to finish. They are 2 separate rides and each has separate reviews on every site that I've ever seen: Ice Dragon and Fire Dragon. I have never seen separate reviews for Alpha and Omega sides on SM.

protiius

Thanks much for the update!! I'm very excited to see the final result. Best of luck with the rest of the project.

As for the DD/SM argument, how can you not understand that an attraction with mirrored tracks and a single attraction with two unique tracks are completely different?

DD = 2 coasters
SM = 1 coaster

Disneyfanman

We haven't been to Universal for 5 years due to all of the things mentioned earlier in the thread. My DW can't do thrill rides and so IOA leaves her on the sidelines for most stuff. My daughter hates getting soaked so no rafts or logs for her. We can all do Spiderman, JP, Poseidon, and Cat in the Hat. Add in lunch and it's kind of a short day. They closed the Dino encounter which we all got a kick out of.

WWOHP will get us back. If it's as cool as it looks, then Universal may have us as regular visitors again.

hack2112

Thanks for the update!

And yes, Universal does over-hype its attractions, but so does Disney. Does anyone think TSMM is the nest best thing since sliced bread? Because that's what Disney's been advertising it as. Hell, I even over-hype myself. (Except for me being completely awesome. I'm actually WAY more awesome than you think. Trust me. :cool:)

Also, I'm still holding out for something WWoHP related for GradBash. You can do it! :lol:

Mouse Man

The DWF & I go to Uni after our stay is over with Disney. I do want to see the WWoHP this year. If it wasn't for this new attaction would be going to Sea World and the Gator Land Zoo. Uni is not like Disney and you get tired of it after a two or three day visit. I always feel what is there else to do around the end of the two or three day time frame. I am not bashing Uni here, just stating how I feel. If you have never been to UNI you will just love it. But after going to it a few years you just don't have that desire to go back like you do at WDW. I just feel there is so much to do at WDW with a feeling that you belong.

_Scar

We haven't been to Universal for 5 years due to all of the things mentioned earlier in the thread. My DW can't do thrill rides and so IOA leaves her on the sidelines for most stuff. My daughter hates getting soaked so no rafts or logs for her. We can all do Spiderman, JP, Poseidon, and Cat in the Hat. Add in lunch and it's kind of a short day. They closed the Dino encounter which we all got a kick out of.

WWOHP will get us back. If it's as cool as it looks, then Universal may have us as regular visitors again.

Your daughter will do Jurassic Park?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom