Disney's Reaction to Harry Potter Details?

JimboJones123

I take the total knee jerk reaction.

Because all the parks are now penalizing guests for single and even double day trips to their parks, many people will decide to make their Central Florida vacation without Disney World at all. For the price of a 7 day WDW hopper, you can get a 7 day US and 7 day Sea World. This also allows more people to take a beach day. WDW guests feel guilt spending $$$ elsewhere when they purchased WDW tix, and there is SO much to do. But if they just ignore WDW and visit the other parks, they may find more satisfaction than being held prisoner by WDW.

Again, I am not saying everybody, but many will feel liberated by not being held prisoner by the week long WDW experience.

71jason

For the record, something tells me this Harry Potter thing is way overblown. I'm sure it will be a good ride, a real 21st century E Ticket. But did WDW shake in their boots when Islands of Adventure opened? That was an entire theme park, and somehow WDW kept right on going without a major sea change in long term operating strategy.

Didn't shake in their boots exactly, but word is they were ready to pull the trigger on a 5th villain-themed park had IoA taken off. Fortunately for Disney, Universal's marketing department blew it big time.

Disney also responded in other ways, too, of course. Magic Express. The dining plan. Magic Your Way tickets. Things to make it difficult for on-site guests to leave (or want to leave). Harry Potter is the first thing to come along that really threatens that paradigm. The Disney parks will be fine, the real problem will be continuing to fill 20,000 hotel rooms a night.

RSoxNo1

Yes... it's important to make the distinction between an addition vs. a replacement, but Disney does the same thing. What have the added to Magic Kingdom? Stitch's Supersonic Celebration? Technically Soarin is a replacement, so Epcot hasn't had anything since 1989. What about the Studios? Lights Motors Action shouldn't count because it replaced part of the backlot Tour, so I guess that leaves Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. The additions have come to Animal Kingdom in the form of Everest, Dinorama, and Kali River Rapids.

I think anything that is an improvement on what was there previously is noteworthy. Star Tours 2.0 should be an improvement over Star Tours. Over at Universal, Disaster was an improvement over Earthquake... etc.

Also, we forgot Hollywood, Rip, Ride, Rockit which is a good addition as well.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
That was my point, although admission has gone up considerably, what Im being offered in terms of additional entertainment has not.

And you can stick your childish smiley up your .

Computer Magic

I take the total knee jerk reaction.

Because all the parks are now penalizing guests for single and even double day trips to their parks, many people will decide to make their Central Florida vacation without Disney World at all. For the price of a 7 day WDW hopper, you can get a 7 day US and 7 day Sea World. This also allows more people to take a beach day. WDW guests feel guilt spending $$$ elsewhere when they purchased WDW tix, and there is SO much to do. But if they just ignore WDW and visit the other parks, they may find more satisfaction than being held prisoner by WDW.

Again, I am not saying everybody, but many will feel liberated by not being held prisoner by the week long WDW experience.
This is such an accurate post. Harry Potter is opening the door for Universal. Many people that never ventured off property (me included) is now finding a reason to venture outside the mouse house. This could be bad for Disney, as I might like what I see. WDW hasn't had many additions for a long time. What they have brought into the parks hasn't really impressed me except for Nemo show, Sorin, EE and Toy Story mania over the last 10 years. I'm looking for something new.

Horizons1

It was actually 'Universal Studios Escape.

Also, the name 'Universal Studios Florida' still exists for the original park, but they hardly ever market it that way. I'm not sure if you were suggesting that it wasn't around anymore or not.

I was saying that it's not marketed that way anymore. To me Universal Stuidos Florida has some extra zing at the end. Of course, I'm a product of the 90's when it was marketed as USF, so maybe that's just nostalgia.

TalkingHead

Well, the hope for all of us on here is that Potterland has an impact. Because if they do, they will wake the sleeping Mouse...that is what we need. Think of Universal and MGM. Disney had no plans to open up MGM when they did until Universal made their announcement. However, due to Eisner throwing a ton of money at it and getting viciously competitive, Disney somehow came from behind and opened their park ahead of theirs. But, that took a major worry and concern. Disney is obviously far better off financially than Universal, so if Uni can affect Disney's bottom-line, Disney has shown it can move pretty quickly. But, it does take a major impact or perceived one.

Wonderful, is that what I have to look forward to? A half-a$%ed response that coasts on the Disney brand name?

Thanks, but if that's the best they can do, I'll be spending my money elsewhere.

DisneyNut2007

Exactly. I was going to post that myself. You're living in a dream world if you think this is somehow going to bring more people to disney. That's laughable. If anything, people are going to be cutting their disney trips short to see this attraction. If its successful, disney will not be winning. Not to mention the locals who TDO doesn't seem to care about anymore. That will be huge, imo.

TDO will do nothing to answer this. They weren't planning to form the the start. They didn't even wnat to add TLM until if was forced on them. I'm sure some big wigs are watching this. And I'm hoping HP is massively successful.

EDIT: Disney will not be making money off the marvel stuff, just a piece of merchandise. And this is an entirely different ballgame than the IOA fiasco.

You and Figment632 couldn't be anymore wrong even if the two of you tried.

The only "fails" that I detect here are the likes of the two of you and all your fellow bashers, haters, pessimists and naysayers.

ENOUGH with the already-annoying and worn-out TDO-bashing already! And the "Everything has to be an E-Ticket" mentality has got to go as well! :mad:

hoke2007

This is such an accurate post. Harry Potter is opening the door for Universal. Many people that never ventured off property (me included) is now finding a reason to venture outside the mouse house. This could be bad for Disney, as I might like what I see. WDW hasn't had many additions for a long time. What they have brought into the parks hasn't really impressed me except for Nemo show, Sorin, EE and Toy Story mania over the last 10 years. I'm looking for something new.

I hope there are more people out there like this. Universal invests tons of money and time in adding something to their parks that everyone wants. And WDW spends pennies to add in completely stupid things in like The American Idol Experience. And now WDW is spending tons of money on an area that is aimed almost exclusively at young kids. Frankly it's crazy. It's so disappointing to hear about all the things Disney has either canned or picked apart so much that it's embarrassing (see SM "redo").

For Spring Break next year I think I'll check out Universal instead of WDW. They are the only theme park that is actively trying to attract people that aren't just under 10.

floridabill

Well let me first start by saying i am a disney freak lol so i have decided to join this web site. but I have a feeling it was a bad idea there are alot of one sided mean opinionated people!:hurl: But anyway though disney has been slack to add new major E ticket rides lets face it nothing is perfect, and every company goes through its slumps every now and then. Something will wake them up and I'm sure they will pump out some great things in response! So I will still visit disney cause they offer me an experience that I have always enjoyed and yes some people will branch out but that's okay to. it's a big world with alot of people and I'm sure that disney and universal will still do just as good as they have been doing. And there is nothing wrong with a little back and forth between them makes it kind of exciting! well thats my thoughts and I'm sure that was way to simple non one sided or complex or a response and ill get ripped a new one for this some how haha but oh well it was worth it

hoke2007

Thing is after Beastly Kingdom what can WDW build that hasnt been done before.

They built The American Idol Experience. No other park has that. :lol:

Disney really needs to get back to building quality rides that have wide appeal. I'm not sure why Disneyland consistently aims for greatness and WDW makes next to no effort. Don't get me wrong, WDW is my favorite place in the world. But recently they have completely dropped the ball. They need to broaden their focus from just meet-and-greets to quality rehabs and quality new attractions. Not garbage like The American Idol Experience (which will be completely useless after AI goes off the air in a year or two).

Computer Magic

I hope there are more people out there like this. Universal invests tons of money and time in adding something to their parks that everyone wants. And WDW spends pennies to add in completely stupid things in like The American Idol Experience. And now WDW is spending tons of money on an area that is aimed almost exclusively at young kids. Frankly it's crazy. It's so disappointing to hear about all the things Disney has either canned or picked apart so much that it's embarrassing (see SM "redo").

For Spring Break next year I think I'll check out Universal instead of WDW. They are the only theme park that is actively trying to attract people that aren't just under 10.
I think you hit the point with your last sentence. WDW is targeting kids under 10. That is change in philosophy that existed up to 1999.

WDWGoof07

This is such an accurate post. Harry Potter is opening the door for Universal. Many people that never ventured off property (me included) is now finding a reason to venture outside the mouse house. This could be bad for Disney, as I might like what I see.
Very true. If WWOHP is a smash hit, this could throw a monkey wrench into the whole Destination Disney thing. Off-site hotels are cheaper and closer to Universal and Sea World, and Disney makes it inconvenient to go off-site if you don't have a rental car. In this scenario, Disney's theme park attendance won't suffer, but there will be more empty hotel rooms. There will be less spending because guests will spread their budgets across the different Orlando attractions, especially for restaurants and things outside of the parks. Theoretically, Destination Disney might work against WDW. :shrug:

I say this because WWOHP (and HRRR) are the only reasons I will be returning to Universal. I only went last time because it was part of a school trip itinerary. I could have taken or left it, but I'll give it another chance next time because it really sounds like Universal is stepping up their game. I hope this trend continues.

I'm not worried that WDW will continue to rest on its laurels. Harry Potter has a huge fanbase (myself included), and the attraction promises to be stellar. WWOHP will be the bait, and many of these fans may come to like Universal's other offerings. WDW will find that Fantasy Forest doesn't cut it. I'm excited to explore this new land, eat at Be Our Guest, and ride TLM, but, other than that, it is lacking in the most important element: rides. This wouldn't be such a big deal if WDW hadn't been touting Fantasy Forest as a game-changer. However, they are, but, when the reality sets in, they'll wake up and greenlight some real additions.

Bottom line: I hope WWOHP doesn't flop like IOA opening year, because the resulting theme park wars mean better rides for me at WDW and Universal. :D

2gether

Patience

I for one am holding on to a little bit of patience with this one, specifically because Disney just bought Marvel. Please note that Universal has the rights to ride applications for the marvel characters for a period of time...but then they revert to Marvel, I think in 2013. I expect that in the next year or two we are going to begin to see a drastic change at DHS, with the transition to more Pixar and Marvel focus with significant new additions as Universal's rights to the characters begin to expire.

I may be wrong, but I cannot see Disney paying billions of dollars for Ironman, Captain America (with a new movie coming out), the Fantastic Four, the Incredible Hulk, and the X-men without using them to their great advantage.

Lassiter is working hard in Cali right now. Give him some time to get out to FL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom