Disney's Reaction to Harry Potter Details?

DisneyNut2007

I'm excited to explore this new land, eat at Be Our Guest, and ride TLM, but, other than that, it is lacking in the most important element: rides.

Need I remind you all to drop the ever-so-flawed "Everything has to be an E-Ticket/ride-through" mentality?! :mad:

This wouldn't be such a big deal if WDW hadn't been touting Fantasy Forest as a game-changer. However, they are, but, when the reality sets in, they'll wake up and greenlight some real additions.

Excuse me?! What the heck happened to your brain?! The Fantasyland Forest IS a "real" addition. Please don't keep letting yourself become as mean, stupid, brainless, one-sided, etc. as the majority of this forum's many @-hole members tend to be! :mad:

_Scar

I for one am holding on to a little bit of patience with this one, specifically because Disney just bought Marvel. Please note that Universal has the rights to ride applications for the marvel characters for a period of time...but then they revert to Marvel, I think in 2013. I expect that in the next year or two we are going to begin to see a drastic change at DHS, with the transition to more Pixar and Marvel focus with significant new additions as Universal's rights to the characters begin to expire.

I may be wrong, but I cannot see Disney paying billions of dollars for Ironman, Captain America (with a new movie coming out), the Fantastic Four, the Incredible Hulk, and the X-men without using them to their great advantage.

Lassiter is working hard in Cali right now. Give him some time to get out to FL.

Yea, this is tottally wrong. Uni can hold onto the characters for as long as they like and keep what they have. They just can't add to that island.

And as long as Uni keeps the characters, WDW can't use them.

And I find it odd people are just now realizing Uni has stepped up their game. I've noticed since IoA opened lol

Mouse Detective

They are the only theme park that is actively trying to attract people that aren't just under 10.

My intent is not to begin another Pleasure Island thread, but to point out that the closing of Adventurers Club and all the other clubs is another example of how true the above posting is. Disney literally gave away tens of thousands of adult customers looking for nightlife over to Universal.

misterID

Uni/IoA have more attractions than the individual parks one on one. I'm not seeing how they're lacking. Maybe if you don't like the themes of the attractions, okay... but I just don't see how there are lack of attractions

I think it might be more "attractions that appeal to them." UNI definitely needs more dark rides. That's Disney's strong point.

misterID

WDI doesn't lack imagination. It lacks money and the will from management to let them do their thing.

The stuff WDI had planned to counter HP that was mentioned in this very thread that TDO killed were beyond fantastic. TDO couldn't even do the SM refurb right.

Skip

I think it might be more "attractions that appeal to them." UNI definitely needs more dark rides. That's Disney's strong point.

I agree here. What's even more frustrating is that Universal has proven it's able to produce some really stellar dark rides (Men in Black, E.T., Cat in the Hat, even Jurassic Park, and the dark ride portions of Mummy). I think they just feel there now has to be some thrill element (see Mummy, Jurassic Park, and most likely Harry Potter) for the ride to be marketable. Islands of Adventure would expand to be a much, much better park if it had another large family (NO THRILLS) dark ride or two. You could stick one in Toon Lagoon in the empty plot adjacent to Jurassic Park or tear down the old theater, or another Cat in the Hat-style attraction (Grinch or Horton Hears a Who?) in some sort of expansion space, if there is any.

Mouse Detective

Aren't Spiderman and Men In Black considered to be the top 2 dark rides in the world? Well they're about to drop to number 2 and 3 when Harry Potter opens. Disney may have some good dark rides, but the top 3 being at Universal hardly makes it Disney's strong point.

Computer Magic

Aren't Spiderman and Men In Black considered to be the top 2 dark rides in the world? Well they're about to drop to number 2 and 3 when Harry Potter opens. Disney may have some good dark rides, but the top 3 being at Universal hardly makes it Disney's strong point.
This is starting to sound like MAC vs PC's. MAC is the dark horse but everyone buys PC's. MAC being Uni... I never bought a MAC, But I will be trying UNI.

_Scar

I agree here. What's even more frustrating is that Universal has proven it's able to produce some really stellar dark rides (Men in Black, E.T., Cat in the Hat, even Jurassic Park, and the dark ride portions of Mummy). I think they just feel there now has to be some thrill element (see Mummy, Jurassic Park, and most likely Harry Potter) for the ride to be marketable. Islands of Adventure would expand to be a much, much better park if it had another large family (NO THRILLS) dark ride or two. You could stick one in Toon Lagoon in the empty plot adjacent to Jurassic Park or tear down the old theater, or another Cat in the Hat-style attraction (Grinch or Horton Hears a Who?) in some sort of expansion space, if there is any.

I agree to a point, but I think Uni just needs more kid riendly options- not just dark rides.

They have the adult audience, they need family audience.

SleepingMonk

We're Florida residents, born and raised, been to WDW more times than I can remember and have always had season passes.....until recently.

We dropped our Disney passes and picked up Universal.

Disney needs a big, big wake up call.

Computer Magic

We're Florida residents, born and raised, been to WDW more times than I can remember and have always had season passes.....until recently.

We dropped our Disney passes and picked up Universal.

Disney needs a big, big wake up call.
I agree. I think Disney has spread themselves too thin by opening all of the other parks. They used WDW to pay for other ventures into other areas and taken those that visit WDW for granted . Disney feels they have a niche and can just do little improvements here and there. I have said for the last 3 years that competition from Uni is the best thing for us visitors.

WDWGoof07

Disney has Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Great Movie Ride, Pooh's Hunny Hunt...:shrug:...I think Disney still has the edge in the dark ride department, even if Universal's upcoming attractions in Florida look better than Disney's.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Disney has Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Great Movie Ride, Pooh's Hunny Hunt...:shrug:...I think Disney still has the edge in the dark ride department, even if Universal's upcoming attractions in Florida look better than Disney's.
Kind of apples to oranges. While I would be more heartbroken if any of the WDW rides got shut down, I'd still rather go on any of the ones at Uni...

Skip

I agree to a point, but I think Uni just needs more kid riendly options- not just dark rides.

They have the adult audience, they need family audience.

Universal has a lot of "kid" rides. Tons of play areas, Pteranadon Flyers, Storm Force, Flying Unicorn, Caroseussel, One Fish Two Fish, Sky Trolley, Cat in the Hat, Nuthouse Coaster, Barney, Jimmy Neutron, ET, etc..... the problem is with the exception of ET, Cat, and MAYBE Neutron and the Trolley, all of those rides are aimed almost squarely at kids. Universal has an issue with appealing to a wide range of audiences - it's either aimed at teens & adults, or young children. We need more rides like Shrek, Disaster, ET, Cat in the Hat, and so such that appeal to the ENTIRE family. The best types of rides to accomplish that in my opinion? Detail-infused, heavy AA-populated dark rides similar to ET and Cat in the Hat. Gives the park a lot of charm and lots of capacity in the family department.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom