Disney's Reaction to Harry Potter Details?

Computer Magic

Universal is open until 8pm tonight and to 10pm throughout the summer.

I don't think Disney has any interest in allowing that. WDW is private property and it would not be in their best interest to allow a competitor to so easily reach their customers. Mears does have a transportation contract with Disney and offers service to Universal via reservations but that's as far as that will go.
well Universal could advertise to contact Mears for a free shuttle to our theme park.

Glasgow

I see a lot of folks making the assumption that people may permanently alter their plans and start replacing days at WDW with days at US/IOA. That may be true, but from my own experience, I found US/IOA to be severely lacking from an attraction perspective. We went back a year ago after a 7 year haitus and found almost nothing new that was of interest to us, except for The Mummy, which I thought was great.

I'm just not seeing the paradigm shift that others are predicting .. although I'm certainly looking forward to seeing WWoHP. I hope it is as good as they are touting and that it will really bolster the overall experience at IOA.

_Scar

Uni/IoA have more attractions than the individual parks one on one. I'm not seeing how they're lacking. Maybe if you don't like the themes of the attractions, okay... but I just don't see how there are lack of attractions

TP2000

The kids looked on-line and saw that really nothing has been added at WDW since they were there two years ago so they were not all that interested in going back WDW this year. They want to check out other things. I'm with them.

This is only suspicious because it's your very first post. Welcome to wdwmagic.com! How long have you worked for Universal? :lol:

For the record, something tells me this Harry Potter thing is way overblown. I'm sure it will be a good ride, a real 21st century E Ticket. But did WDW shake in their boots when Islands of Adventure opened? That was an entire theme park, and somehow WDW kept right on going without a major sea change in long term operating strategy.

Why would one new big ride with some attached shops and snack bars and a restaurant (and a rethemed existing land), bring WDW to its knees? Maybe I'm a bit unimpressed because the only bits of Harry Potter I've seen is on TV displays at Best Buy, but it seems like people are making this HUGE DEAL out of one new E Ticket attraction.

I'm sure Disney will be interested in seeing what the ride is and how it operates, and how it may impact the guest visitation statistics for Islands of Adventure. But really, I can't imagine WDW management is losing sleep over this one. It's gonna be a cool ride, but it's not going to turn lights out on the Castle or anything. :rolleyes:

RandySavage

^One thing Potter has is a huge and devoted fanbase that overlaps with the theme park age demographic.

It's the equivalent of if in 1984 - at the peak of Star Wars hysteria - the Magic Kingdom had reworked all of Tomorrowland into an immersive StarWarsLand (with, say, one new game-changing mega-E-ticket and two reworked attractions, a Cantina restaurant, etc.).

Of course, Potter is not going to bring Disney to its knees, but it will likely grab a piece of Orlando theme park marketshare in perpetuity... dollars that may have otherwise been spent at Disney. And that may invoke further investment by Disney.

glee

I will say this... if the Fantasyland expansion is all disney has to offer to compete with Harry Potter, then they're doomed before they start. The reason I say this is because all of a sudden many managers and several survey takers have been finding out that in a way guests find the Fantasyland Expansion a bit sexist in that it tends to cater to little girls with all the princess stuff and there is virtually nothing for little boys. Harry Potter, on the other hand, crosses so many demographics that Fantasyland can't even dream of crossing.

That said, I do feel Disney has to have something else to compete with Harry Potter.

I understand what your saying but sexist is a bit far. :lookaroun :) They will both do amazingly well. Although i am ridiculously excited about Harry potter (Like a child who has drank a bath of lemonade) I am also very excited about fantasyland.

I think girls and boys will enjoy fantasyland. Disney are usually clever enough to make it appeal to girls and boys. :animwink::animwink::animwink::wave::animwink:

BigThunderMatt

Universal Studios Hollywood runs shuttle buses to Disneyland daily, right on Disney property. So why not WDW?

Disneyland is much more a local park rather than a resort destination on the scale of WDW. DLR can only dream of having the kind of extended captive audience that WDW gets on a daily basis.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
For the record, something tells me this Harry Potter thing is way overblown. I'm sure it will be a good ride, a real 21st century E Ticket. But did WDW shake in their boots when Islands of Adventure opened? That was an entire theme park, and somehow WDW kept right on going without a major sea change in long term operating strategy.

The reason, IMO, why IOA didn't take off is because Universal's marketing strategy was horrid. I was local and knew about IOA, but if I only watched the commercials and other ads they had out, I'd have no clue what they meant by "escape".

They've suffered from that ever since. I think the big difference with Harry Potter opening is a lot of guests who have never ventured to IOA will be impressed with how nice the rest of the park is, and Universal is going all out, freshening the park back to opening day standards.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
They've suffered from that ever since. I think the big difference with Harry Potter opening is a lot of guests who have never ventured to IOA will be impressed with how nice the rest of the park is, and Universal is going all out, freshening the park back to opening day standards.

I agree with this. Plus, since the opening of IoA there has been a very slow, yet consistent momentum shift towards the Universal parks.

Walter Yensid

Interestingly, Disney benefits from any increased attendance at Universal and Islands of Adventure due to Potterland.

Considering Disney purchased Marvel and many of the rides/characters in those parks are Marvel-based, Disney actually benefits from the increased attendance (licensing, retail, etc). Even though small dollars compared to any loss in admission dollars, I do find it somewhat humorous that Disney gains from any increase in attendance and visibility. That must really infuriate Universal and be a tough check to write now.

Walter Yensid

Yes Im sure theyll be well miffed at higher attendance and increased turnover.

I am not saying that. It is just a very unique situation in business where a company needs to pay a competitor right down the street. No matter how much how their attendance goes up, I doubt they get pumped when they need to write that check now. These are not two companies who have a track record of 'show me the love'...

Again, just interesting...let's hope WDW does not stand behind that excuse or something similar for not continuing to expand/improve the parks...

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The licensing element I would imagine would be small beer in the cost of each operation, and as has been said its not as if this is a new or increased fee they have to pay.

I look at this as someone who travels a long way and visits both parks, they are great at what they do, the best in fact. However, as I said earlier, Potter is the first new ride in IOA and Rockit the first additional attraction at the studios in 10 years, Disneys latest limited additions and the prospects to come in a couple of years, while welcome, are all just IMHO just marking time.

The world is changing and there are other things to attract me and my money, Universal may be starting to realise that, but needs to actually deliver while Disney World needs to get its act together on both upgrade maintenance and new project delivery. How long does it take to do these things?

Walter Yensid

The licensing element I would imagine would be small beer in the cost of each operation, and as has been said its not as if this is a new or increased fee they have to pay.

I look at this as someone who travels a long way and visits both parks, they are great at what they do, the best in fact. However, as I said earlier, Potter is the first new ride in IOA and Rockit the first additional attraction at the studios in 10 years, Disneys latest limited additions and the prospects to come in a couple of years, while welcome, are all just IMHO just marking time.

The world is changing and there are other things to attract me and my money, Universal may be starting to realise that, but needs to actually deliver while Disney World needs to get its act together on both upgrade maintenance and new project delivery. How long does it take to do these things?

Well, the hope for all of us on here is that Potterland has an impact. Because if they do, they will wake the sleeping Mouse...that is what we need. Think of Universal and MGM. Disney had no plans to open up MGM when they did until Universal made their announcement. However, due to Eisner throwing a ton of money at it and getting viciously competitive, Disney somehow came from behind and opened their park ahead of theirs. But, that took a major worry and concern. Disney is obviously far better off financially than Universal, so if Uni can affect Disney's bottom-line, Disney has shown it can move pretty quickly. But, it does take a major impact or perceived one.

This is why I think they did not provide dates for Pixie Hollow and other possible projects. They are waiting to see. If impact is quick, we could see quick movement across all parks where Pixie Hollow gets an early green-light, Monsters, Inc or Carsland add in MGM, and possibly something in Animal Kingdom. I do not believe Disney will keep any big moves relegated to one park, but to stretch across multiple parks knowing that this will affect Universal more...more days to do Disney, less days for Universal.

And I do hope the Imagineers get jazzed up at this new Potter ride. Shows Universal is pushing the limits and I have no doubts the Imagineers do not like to be outdone...let's just hope the money flows to them to do what they need to do.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

First additional attraction in 10 years? MIB, the Mummy, Shrek, all came out withn the past 10 years :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom