Disney's MGM Studios Sorcerer's Hat Construction Pictures

laxplaya1346

Original Poster
Hello all,
You probably do not know me and have been a member but have not posted much. Yesterday my family and I arrived home from WDW after our 10 day trip and would like to share some construction photos. I'm not sure if this has been posted so bare with me. We went to DMGM about a week ago and found no construction wall around and to our suprise when we returned we found the pin stations moved outside and blue walls surrounding the hat. The HSM Pep rally still went in front of the wall but it was under construction. We had returned that day for our lunch with an Imagineer, Kevin Thomas(Senior Graphic Designer), and asked him about the walls and he had no clue. So just thought I would post these pictures along with a few Epcot construction photos.(which I know have been posted)

Before
DSC00326.jpg

After
DSC00483.jpg

And just a few more construction photos of SSE
DSC00508.jpg

DSC00513.jpg

DSC00235_1.jpg

DSC00466.jpg

Note I know it is hard to tell but in that last photo inside the entrance there is now a model of an astronaut floating upside down attached to a moon rover.

jt04

The construction wall is for a new lighting package to make it more palatable. But I am afraid all the make-up in the world won't save it long term. It is going the way of the dodo. That wall had to worry the stuffing out of all the hat-ies though when they first saw it:eek:

jedimaster1227

Seeing Spaceship Earth completely wandless today nearly made my heart skip a beat. It was great. "Ding dong the wand is gone, the wicked wand, the ugly wand... Ding dong the ghastly wand is gone!" :lol:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Well, it'll actually go back to being more attractive - there's a lighting show the hat does which hasn't worked in years.

It's very pretty when it actually works, and the new LED lighting should be even more dramatic.

maui2k7

What I would like to see is to remove the hat and completely re-do the front of the Chinese Theater to make it a Disney landmark - not a copy of something somewhere else. The Chinese Theater is cool, but it is not a Disney original design as is The Castle, Spaceship Earth and the Tree of Life. The Hat was meant to be temporary and is only a pin station which is easily the lamest icon of all of the parks. The Castle is - well a Castle and you can eat inside. SSE is an awesome piece of Architecture with a ride in side. Tree of Life is a work of art and also has an attraction inside. The Hat is a cheap after thought that was supposed to be temporary.

With the Hollywood name coming to the studios, I would imagine they could come up with a great central icon that takes the place of the Chinese Theater facade and the Hat. I am sure the likelyhood is very low, but one can hope!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I doubt they'd be updated the lighting system if they had any plans in the foreseeable future to remove the hat. Get over it folks, the hat's not leaving any time soon.

But that's just one man's opinion. :shrug:

laxplaya1346

Original Poster
The construction wall is for a new lighting package to make it more palatable. But I am afraid all the make-up in the world won't save it long term. It is going the way of the dodo. That wall had to worry the stuffing out of all the hat-ies though when they first saw it:eek:

You may be right.. After Fantasmic I remember seeing the stars and moons lighting up in a pattern but maybe this old mouse just forgot that it already did that. :shrug:

I have a few more photos I can put up

Also I am not sure if anyone is aware that gateway gifts is now open again since the wall was moved back.

laxplaya1346

Original Poster
Seeing Spaceship Earth completely wandless today nearly made my heart skip a beat. It was great. "Ding dong the wand is gone, the wicked wand, the ugly wand... Ding dong the ghastly wand is gone!" :lol:

Just like to show you another picture, judging by your icon you are a fan of figment and my guesses are that you are not to happy with the monstrousity there today:fork: .

You are not alone my friend :animwink:

DSC00207_1.jpg

Walked into him on my way out of Epcot and had to talk to him. :D

WDWEric

Disney will NOT be taking the hat down. When Manns (sp?) bought the grahms (sp?) in Hollywood, they actuall wanted disney to tear down the one at DHS. Disney put the hat in front of it to block the view from the entrance and the photpass photographers. The theatre can't be in any disney promo, pic or souvenir. How many Theatre pins or shirts have you seen? How many times have you seen the theatre in a disney planing DVD? You haven't and unless disney somehow buys the rights you wont.

wiikraken

Maybe its just me but SSE supports look more baby blue from that side picture. Im probly just cant remember havnt been in a long time.

Purple413

While I'm not the biggest fan of the hat, I was happy when Disney decided to give MGM a centerpiece. I'm still disappointed that they put it right in front of the Chinese Theater. I will admit, however, the hat looks nice at night when it's lit up, so I'm interested to see what it will look like after this update. If they would get rid of the hat and the theater, what should they put in its place? Any ideas?

uklad79

Thanks for the pictures. It's interesting that someone stated that the hat was meant to be temporary. If they can provide a source that states that, as I just don't believe that. The quality of the build is too good to be temporary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom