Disney's MGM Studios Sorcerer's Hat Construction Pictures

wherewhy

What I would like to see is to remove the hat and completely re-do the front of the Chinese Theater to make it a Disney landmark - not a copy of something somewhere else. The Chinese Theater is cool, but it is not a Disney original design as is The Castle, Spaceship Earth and the Tree of Life. The Hat was meant to be temporary and is only a pin station which is easily the lamest icon of all of the parks. The Castle is - well a Castle and you can eat inside. SSE is an awesome piece of Architecture with a ride in side. Tree of Life is a work of art and also has an attraction inside. The Hat is a cheap after thought that was supposed to be temporary.

With the Hollywood name coming to the studios, I would imagine they could come up with a great central icon that takes the place of the Chinese Theater facade and the Hat. I am sure the likelyhood is very low, but one can hope!
the hats not any worse than them trying to pass off the "earful tower" as a landmark for the studios originally. :drevil:

Tom Morrow

The Earful tower made sense at the time, when the backlot areas were actually used as production. The tower was, and still is unique, and is there because movie studios traditionally have a water tower in them.

CThaddeus

The Earful tower made sense at the time, when the backlot areas were actually used as production. The tower was, and still is unique, and is there because movie studios traditionally have a water tower in them.

Not to mention it is one of the few Icons you can actually see from World Drive before you even get into the parking lot. That still makes it the Icon for me. I don't need to have my picture taken in front of it to see it as an Icon.

Spyne

What is DLP's Studio's icon?

The water tower. I mean, what else could it be? Besides, on the main website for Disneyland Paris, they show the two park icons being Sleeping Beauty Castle for Disneyland Paris park and the water tower for Walt Disney Studios.

But back on topic to the hat, it looks like the stars and moons on the hat will sparkle now which is cool. Hopefully someone can post a video of the lights actually in action.

wickedfan07

Not to mention it is one of the few Icons you can actually see from World Drive before you even get into the parking lot. That still makes it the Icon for me. I don't need to have my picture taken in front of it to see it as an Icon.

You may not need to have your picture taken with the icon, but millions of other tourists do (and will sometimes pay for the opportunity through Photopass). There's the dilemma.

Someone earlier mentioned texture, specifically how the hat lacks it. I think it would be neat if Disney were to change the exterior of the hat to make it look soft and plush. That's all I would change however. The Studios needed a centrally-located icon like every other park, and now the park has it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom