Disney's MGM Studios Sorcerer's Hat Construction Pictures

Buried20KLeague

Everybody likes the hat. Many would just like to like it in a new location

THAT'S awfully strong. Count me as one that hates the fact that the apparent "icon" of the park is a PIN SHOP. :fork: That just doesn't sit well with me.

If the lighting package is really made that much better, that would help I think. The "wow" factor could help, in my mind. But to turn me into a full-fledged believer, they'd have to do something about the pin shop.

Fun2BFree

In my grand vision, I would destroy the Hat, the Chinese Theatre AND the Great Movie Ride. Blasphemy? No. In their place, I would construct a replica of the Hollywood hills w/sign. Inside would be a new and improved GMR, with some of the scenes salvaged from the original ride, but with new scenes and new tricks (maybe a small drop during the ride ala the start of PotC).

Hell, they could add Disney and Studios above and below the Hollywood sign to make the name of the park, or revert back to it's original Hollywoodland format, complete with a park name-change to that.

Bye-bye Hat, Hello Hill! :lookaroun

NeedABreak

DSC00513.jpg

SSE stubble

Buried20KLeague

In my grand vision, I would destroy the Hat, the Chinese Theatre AND the Great Movie Ride. Blasphemy? No. In their place, I would construct a replica of the Hollywood hills w/sign, as per the original design for Epcot's Movie Pavilion. Inside would be a new and improved GMR, with some of the scenes salvaged from the original ride, but with new scenes and new tricks (maybe a small drop during the ride ala the start of PotC).

Hell, they could add Disney and Studios above and below the Hollywood sign to make the name of the park, or revert back to it's original Hollywoodland format, complete with a park name-change to that.

I seem to recall from one of the imagineering books I've got that the "store front" look for the proposed Movie Pavilion was more like a small town movie theatre front with a ticket booth and so forth... With the rest of the building being blue and painted with clouds to blend into the Florida sky. :confused:

JWG

I like the hat.
I think its horribly placed or what's behind it shouldn't be an icon in and of itself since you can't see it.

That hat makes sense to me in MGM. Sorcerer Mickey was (a small) part of a very successful movie project. Its an icon from a movie in a studio park - I get it.

If Disney has a high need to have character related icons, the hat makes sense if they can place it better (over the entrance turnstiles or in front?).

JWG

In my grand vision, I would destroy the Hat, the Chinese Theatre AND the Great Movie Ride. Blasphemy? No. In their place, I would construct a replica of the Hollywood hills w/sign, as per the original design for Epcot's Movie Pavilion. Inside would be a new and improved GMR, with some of the scenes salvaged from the original ride, but with new scenes and new tricks (maybe a small drop during the ride ala the start of PotC).

Ok, this I like... I even agree that having "Disney's...Studios" above and below would be fine. I'd be interest to see if they could make this forced perspective work in that space with the buildings and branch offs around it. If so - very nice idea.

nbodyhome

I went to MGM to take some pics of the TSM after being in Epcot for photos and such there - there was no wall at the BAH yesterday.

Denise

cooleo

I like the hat.
I think its horribly placed or what's behind it shouldn't be an icon in and of itself since you can't see it.

That hat makes sense to me in MGM. Sorcerer Mickey was (a small) part of a very successful movie project. Its an icon from a movie in a studio park - I get it.

If Disney has a high need to have character related icons, the hat makes sense if they can place it better (over the entrance turnstiles or in front?).

I can't understand why everyone continues to say the Hat needs to be better placed. IT IS THE ICON!!!, Parks Icons are typically INSIDE the park, near the end of the Entrance Avenue (Castle @ end of Main Street, Tree of Life across bridge at end of entrance walkway, SSE @ end of Main Plaza entrance). I like the Sorcerer's Hat & feel it is right where it belongs.:animwink:

SDav10495

THAT'S awfully strong. Count me as one that hates the fact that the apparent "icon" of the park is a PIN SHOP. :fork: That just doesn't sit well with me.

Holy MGM, I can't believe I forgot about that! My above post is still true--I think the hat is a nice enough structure that could just be moved elsewhere--but the fact that it's a pin stand has always been a huge problem for me. That's just wrong. I know pin trading is popular, but really, do the majority of guests do it? No. I know I don't, and can't imagine I ever will. So in other words, of all the guests who head up Hollywood Blvd to the hat--the park's new "weenie" as well as its icon--most of them are disappointed by what's under it. Every other park's weenie contains or leads to something spectacular--that's the job of the weenie in the first place. The Chinese Theater used to do this at MGM. But the hat doesn't come close to serving the same purpose, and for that alone it's a giant misstep.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...the efforts to "spruce up" Epcot and MGM at the beginning of the decade, with the hat in MGM and numerous Millennium changes to Epcot, may be nice depending on who you ask, but there's no question that they were implemented with a fraction of the care and foresight put into the original parks' designs. I mean, really--just throwing a giant hat into the middle of a carefully themed old Hollywood plaza? A giant hat that sells pins? What a waste of a beautiful space.

nbodyhome

I went to MGM to take some pics of the TSM after being in Epcot for photos and such there - there was no wall at the BAH yesterday.

Denise

JWG

I can't understand why everyone continues to say the Hat needs to be better placed. IT IS THE ICON!!!, Parks Icons are typically INSIDE the park, near the end of the Entrance Avenue (Castle @ end of Main Street, Tree of Life across bridge at end of entrance walkway, SSE @ end of Main Plaza entrance). I like the Sorcerer's Hat & feel it is right where it belongs.:animwink:

I can agree with that logic. Then it needs to not hide a centerpiece attraction somehow. That hat is fine, but if it's the icon of the park (which it is), it shouldn't hide major attractions behind it (that have a view worth seeing) and it should be "seen from the parking lot and nearby hotels" big. We're at 185' or so in the other 3 parks with their icons, the hat isn't that "icon" big.

I think we all realize the GMR is either getting overhauled or demised, so the hat likely is in a fine place once that's all done. And, if the licensing issue is true, it did what it had to by hiding the theater from view. It's just unfortunate that the theater had to be hid from view and I hope whatever they do there next isn't something that is grand to see, but not possible to see.

I think we're all really just upset they had a nice classic centerpiece to the park. A change was necessary and it somehow feels/looks "cheap" compared to what was there before.

I certainly don't think the watertowe should be the centerpiece. It's a cheap knockoff of the WB tower in my mind.

Slowjack

I think the issue is not that the icon shouldn't, in general, be at that location (although let's be fair and say that SSE is at the front of the park--saying it's "at the end of the entrance" is cheating a bit, don't you think?). The problem is that the hat in its current location blocks the carefully framed view of the Chinese Theater. That's apparently why the hat is there in the first place; no one is claiming that's an accident. But that's the problem. So I don't think anyone is saying, "The icon for the Studios shouldn't be in the center of the park." They are saying, "It's a shame that this vista of 'the Hollywood that never was and always will be' is gone." Previously the whole street was of a piece. Now it's Hollywood, a big plastic hat, then if you walk around the hat, Hollywood again.

Fun2BFree

I seem to recall from one of the imagineering books I've got that the "store front" look for the proposed Movie Pavilion was more like a small town movie theatre front with a ticket booth and so forth... With the rest of the building being blue and painted with clouds to blend into the Florida sky. :confused:

Aah sorry, my mistake. Will edit post as such. Thanks. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom