Disney's MGM Studios Sorcerer's Hat Construction Pictures

jmuboy

I'm hoping the hat goes away....but if it can't for a few yerars at least it will look better at night. I'm in the camp of create a neat Icon OUTSIDE the gates near the lake. The hat isn't bad, just poorly placed.

Shaman

What I would like to see is to remove the hat and completely re-do the front of the Chinese Theater to make it a Disney landmark - not a copy of something somewhere else. The Chinese Theater is cool, but it is not a Disney original design as is The Castle, Spaceship Earth and the Tree of Life. The Hat was meant to be temporary and is only a pin station which is easily the lamest icon of all of the parks. The Castle is - well a Castle and you can eat inside. SSE is an awesome piece of Architecture with a ride in side. Tree of Life is a work of art and also has an attraction inside. The Hat is a cheap after thought that was supposed to be temporary.

With the Hollywood name coming to the studios, I would imagine they could come up with a great central icon that takes the place of the Chinese Theater facade and the Hat. I am sure the likelyhood is very low, but one can hope!

I don't think the hat was meant to be temporary...just look at the difference between the wand structure and the actual hat.

It would be nice if they could redo the look the theater (something to go with the design theme and feel of the hat) and some how place the hat over the building...to make a grand centerpiece. But...

I like the hat, I think its much nicer and more Disney than the the theater. Just my opinion though.

jedimaster1227

Just like to show you another picture, judging by your icon you are a fan of figment and my guesses are that you are not to happy with the monstrousity there today:fork: .

You are not alone my friend :animwink:

DSC00207_1.jpg

Walked into him on my way out of Epcot and had to talk to him. :D

How recent was this? I'm interested!

jmvd20

I like how the word temporary gets thrown around when discussing the hat and the wand... I must ask exactly how long must a structure stay up for it to not be temporary?

Neither the wand nor the hat were designed to be a "temporary" structure...

The wall around the hat right now is a "temporary" structure...

The Osbourne lights are a "temporary" decoration...

Was Horizons a temporary structure?

AlishaMisha

The Hat was meant to be temporary and is only a pin station which is easily the lamest icon of all of the parks. The Castle is - well a Castle and you can eat inside. SSE is an awesome piece of Architecture with a ride in side. Tree of Life is a work of art and also has an attraction inside. The Hat is a cheap after thought that was supposed to be temporary.

1.) That Hat wasn't a temp. See www.wdwradio.com and listen to show 28.

2.)The Chinese Theatre was never the park's icon. It was Earfil Tower. Non-functional un-like the castle, tree, SSE. So at least the Hat has SOME pursose (hat store, pin store, ESPN stage...ect.). Think about it, Earfil Tower isn't even a real water tower! And that lasted for years! And wasn't even a temp!

Here's a question... What does Miss Tilly do? I believe it is a great icon... Does a great icon need a function? I think that as long as it has a purpose and is centeralized (which Earfil Tower wasn't on both accounts) then it's okay in my book.

Tornado

Here's a question... What does Miss Tilly do? I believe it is a great icon... Does a great icon need a function? I think that as long as it has a purpose and is centeralized (which Earfil Tower wasn't on both accounts) then it's okay in my book.

But atleast there is a "storyline" reason, so to speak, for Miss Tilly to be there...

And she shoots water out every 30mins doesn't she, so she does have a function.

AlishaMisha

But atleast there is a "storyline" reason, so to speak, for Miss Tilly to be there...

And she shoots water out every 30mins doesn't she, so she does have a function.

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree. Miss Tilly belongs there. But for arguments sake (to the person I quoted), Miss Tilly is a great icon w/o having an attraction in it. An icon doesn't need to have an attraction in it to be a good one (Miss Tilly proves that), so why does the hat?

:king: ~Leash

wdwforus

Seeing Spaceship Earth completely wandless today nearly made my heart skip a beat. It was great. "Ding dong the wand is gone, the wicked wand, the ugly wand... Ding dong the ghastly wand is gone!" :lol:

I believe there are quite a few of us who liked the wand. For me it was a sad demise of something my family enjoyed.

Scooter

I'm just wondering about something.
Perhaps The Great Movie Ride is going to get a facelift on the outside as well as the inside. If that's the case then maybe the placement of the giant Hat will make more sense and won't upset so many people.
Just a theory.

jt04

I'm just wondering about something.
Perhaps The Great Movie Ride is going to get a facelift on the outside as well as the inside. If that's the case then maybe the placement of the giant Hat will make more sense and won't upset so many people.
Just a theory.

Pesonally. I wouldn't mind it if it was actually incorporated as the entrance to the GMR. Especially if the GMR is made into exclusively Disney Movies. I think that would actually be pretty cool. That is the only way the hat would make sense where it is. I actually hope they do this. It would make me see the hat in a whole new light. (bad pun apology)

CrashNet

Well, it'll actually go back to being more attractive - there's a lighting show the hat does which hasn't worked in years.

It's very pretty when it actually works, and the new LED lighting should be even more dramatic.
Huh? Seriously? I did not know this...I'd be interested to see what that was all about.

JLW11Hi

I always thought the dark-blueish color of the hat kept it from standing out against the night sky. Perhaps the new lighting will change this?

SDav10495

Everybody likes the hat. Many would just like to like it in a new location

Well let's not say that...there are plenty out there who think the hat is a garish mess in its own right, not just because of its location. I myself used to be one of those until fairly recently; plenty more are still out there.

But yes, it is true that the hat is generally more warmly regarded than the wand because it is a more pleasing structure--it's rather pretty at night and there are no, er, ugly structural supports visible. I finally came to realize this on my last trip: the hat, once an unforgivable blight in my eyes, became tolerable--even magnificent, at night anyway--but would do much better elsewhere in the park because what it's obstructing is even more magnificent. So I became something of a hat softie. (Meanwhile by the end of that same trip I truly began to loathe the wand, which on previous visits I had been in indifferent denial about but which suddenly struck me as the embarrassing piece of kitsch it was. That's taken care of at least.)

Anyway, I digress...the point is, never underestimate the hatred some people still have for the hat, even though most of us feel that its only problem is location (which is still a big problem).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom