News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

doctornick

But a major blow to Mears and Bags Inc.

As many have mentioned, Mears ran a bus service before MDE. There's no reason they won't simply paint the existing MDE buses and run a similar service as MDE just billing the customers directly. In fact, it would be a relatively easy transition.

There certainly would be a need/demand and taxis and Uber is not a one size fits all solution.

IanDLBZF

As many have mentioned, Mears ran a bus service before MDE. There's no reason they won't simply paint the existing MDE buses and run a similar service as MDE just billing the customers directly. In fact, it would be a relatively easy transition.
A la how Disneyland does it.

jaklgreen

I have rolled with all of the Disney punches over the years but this makes me really angry. I have been going since before they introduced DME when we would rent a town car. We had several bad experienced with those and were thrilled when they announced DME and I have been using it ever since. I travel mostly solo now and I don't fee comfortable using ride share. I really don't want to rent a car either, that is why I go to WDW, because I don't have to drive. This is step backwards for WDW and it is absolutely a stupid decision.

jmmc

I used to post on these forums now and then in the past. I haven't done much lately, but when I do I try to stay positive, but this news is very upsetting to me. We make our way through a terrible year when I am sure many people reading this now would've like to have come back to Disney sooner but stayed away, and now before everyone may decide to travel again we get the news that takes away one MASSIVE perk and convenience. I've been to WDW many times before the Express existed, and it was fine of course. Lots of people don't mind a cab or renting a car. But me and my family found the Magical Express to be one spot that helped ease what can often be a hectic, stressful vacation if you don't plan carefully. It really just eliminated one big level of planning and added a little bit of fun to arriving. Having a nearly hassle free, "Disney style" way of getting to Orlando and right to the hotel helped so much. And the mention of ride-sharing, as if that's the same as a professionally run full-service transport is crazy. It's not really a comparable alternative.

I don't know, maybe the service was really losing them money or something. But whatever the reason, for this family this puts a big dent in one of our favorite vacations.

CaptinEO

This hurts. Im a Disneyland local but this was one of our major draws for Disneyworld, the whole experience of showing up and having luggage delivered. This is terrible news.

When I vacation I want to be in vacation mode.

Josh D Amaro is terrible...

icc2515

But a major blow to Mears and Bags Inc.
Bags Inc, yes. Mears may even do better than they did before. People still have to get to their resorts. Rental cars are expensive. Some people are intimidated by rideshare, plus many rideshare vehicles are limited in their luggage capacity. Sure you can fit 6 in an Traverse, but try fitting the 6 to 8 large suite cases plus carryon's in there as well. Not many vehicles including a mini van can do that. A big Mears bus does not have that problem. Mears will still be operating with the same buses sans the wrap and the same drivers. Sure you will have to pay, but they will still be there. I am sure that Disney did not pay what Mears will charge us.

UNCgolf

I feel the same way. Living in Europe, you take it for granted you can get off at an airport and catch a train into the centre of the city. That's great if you're travelling alone and travelling light. It's exhausting, though, if you've got a lot of luggage and have to deal with long flights, let alone having to wrangle children.

The Brightline station really doesn't offer what DME offered.

When I was in Paris a few years ago we had to take the train into the city from Charles De Gaulle because the taxi drivers were striking and had blocked all entrance/exit from the airport via car. Even ignoring the long lines and overcrowding due to it being the only way out of the airport into the city, having to haul all that luggage to the train, then haul it off the train, and walk it all from the nearest train stop to the hotel was not a very pleasant experience.

Using Brightline as transport from the airport to Disney is not a good idea. Someone would be much better off getting an Uber/Lyft that will take them straight to the hotel rather than trying to wrangle all that luggage across multiple forms of transportation.

doctornick

Using Brightline as transport from the airport to Disney is not a good idea. Someone would be much better off getting an Uber/Lyft that will take them straight to the hotel rather than trying to wrangle all that luggage across multiple forms of transportation.

Yeah, I don't see much of a market for the train between the airport and WDW. I'm not sure who exactly such a route would appeal to... the family of 4-5 with a bunch of luggage? No way they'd want to lug stuff and have to switch transportation. The business travel going t a meeting at the Yacht and Beach Club? They'd probably have expenses paid by work and would travel directly. The couple going on their honeymoon? The 4 generation family with great grandpapa and his walker?

The train from airport to WDW would work for a budget traveler willing to deal with some inconvenience to save money. While I would "never say never" about trying to pigeonhole people, I don't think that's much of WDW's guests. This isn't where 20 some year old backpackers go on vacation.

That's not to say that a stop at WDW doesn't make sense. It does - but I'd expect it to mostly be used by Florida residents taking the train from Miami or Tampa and points in between so they don't have to drive and could have a relatively direct trip.

LittleMerman

I definitely understand that Covid has hurt a lot of companies, including Disney, but this is pretty shocking. That's a big advantage of staying on property and I'm sure the room rates will only continue to go up despite taking away benefits. I still love Disney World as a whole but it feels like they keep getting greedier and greedier year after year.

IanDLBZF

Bags Inc, yes. Mears may even do better than they did before. People still have to get to their resorts. Rental cars are expensive. Some people are intimidated by rideshare, plus many rideshare vehicles are limited in their luggage capacity. Sure you can fit 6 in an Traverse, but try fitting the 6 to 8 large suite cases plus carryon's in there as well. Not many vehicles including a mini van can do that. A big Mears bus does not have that problem. Mears will still be operating with the same buses sans the wrap and the same drivers. Sure you will have to pay, but they will still be there. I am sure that Disney did not pay what Mears will charge us.
Unfortunately for Mears, this is the beginning of the end. I am hearing that Universal will be switching to Academy to run their buses.

pauj15

I'm trying to determine whether this is actually a big deal to people, as this service was incredibly convenient and affordable, or if this is just the straw that broke the camel's back. After cutting free Magic Bands, stopping work on Tron & GOTG CW, discontinuing SOTMK, and now EMH and this, I wonder if people have had hit.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Disney has been dipping their toe in the water when it comes to cutting costs and seeing what they could get away with. With the horrible reception to this, I'm interested to see if/how they continue.

Magic Feather

I seem to recall hinting at this possibility in the Brightline thread.

That said, Disney has a plan to offer a premium airport transfer ala the Minnie Van airport service. It is expected to be at a generally inaccessible price point for most. Whether a luggage transfer/airline check-in will still be included appears to be TBD.

Brightline to Disney won’t be online until 2023 at earliest (looking iffy). Plan is to advertise train to bus from the Springs hub. Train expected to run between airport and Springs every 30 min to 1 hr.

Mears, as a company, is in a really rough spot. They are losing a lot of their major contracts at the moment, and will effectively be reduced to a cab company that also charters buses instead of a major transportation operator.

Dunston

I really think the half hour early thing is huge. Getting into the parks 30 minutes early and knocking out one ride and getting in line for the second before rope drop is pretty great. You could ride test track and get in line for frozen before the park opens! And having it at any park, any day is a pretty big perk. For me having it every day beats an hour once or twice (and dealing with the massive crowds that come with it).
I really don't think they'll lose much from magical express, but I think early entry could convince a lot of people to stay onsite.
Doesn't matter that much when the tens of thousands of other hotel guests also can do that.

pauj15

Doesn't matter that much when the tens of thousands of other hotel guests also can do that.
Although, those tens of thousands of other hotel guests will be split up among four parks instead of having everyone in one park because of EMH.

Not a huge fan of this change, and I'll miss the nighttime EMH especially, but this will probably end up being fine.

UNCgolf

Brightline to Disney won’t be online until 2023 at earliest (looking iffy). Plan is to advertise train to bus from the Springs hub. Train expected to run between airport and Springs every 30 min to 1 hr.

This is going to be an exceptionally poor replacement for ME. That will not be a pleasant experience.

Unless the check-in/luggage transfer still exists and all you have to do is physically board the train and bus and not worry about your luggage. I do not see that as a viable option from Disney's perspective, though, unless they charge a pretty penny (which you hinted at).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom