News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

Lilofan

Would Brightline be much quicker than a direct bus? I’ll admit I’m ignorant on the specifics but I suspect the comparison above isn’t all that relevant. I think WDW is closer to MCO than DLP is to CDG. And Paris is a major city with massive differences in traffic/congestion compared to central Florida. even if it’s faster, you have to deal with two different boarding/transferring luggage and depending on how the timing works out, you could get substantial time loss in the process due to that.

Taking too long never seemed like an issue for MDE to me. And it won’t be an issue on whatever Mears bus replacement will exist (or whatever company fills the vacuum) or just taking a towncar or Uber/Lyft/taxi. All those options would seem to fit WDWs core guests much better than Brightline will.
Bright line rail service once it happens can be quicker. The 417 toll road from MCO to WDW which is two lanes northbound and southbound can have car accidents that can close the roads and really snarl traffic to either you being late to start your vacation or late to catch and maybe miss your plane going home.

Disney Glimpses

It will be difficult but could be a new reality . Family of four boards the Bright line train at MCO carrying their luggage and rides the train to WDW and other tourists stops then boards busses still carrying their luggage to take them to their hotel. The bars better be open because I will need a drink. Hopefully the train doesn't break down somewhere by the gator filled swamps and residential areas of Central FL.
Disney isn’t going to want their busses loaded up with people commuting from MCO along with normal DS guests. It’s not just difficult, it’s impossible without them substantially changing how they bus people from DS.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Would Brightline be much quicker than a direct bus? I’ll admit I’m ignorant on the specifics but I suspect the comparison above isn’t all that relevant. I think WDW is closer to MCO than DLP is to CDG. And Paris is a major city with massive differences in traffic/congestion compared to central Florida. even if it’s faster, you have to deal with two different boarding/transferring luggage and depending on how the timing works out, you could get substantial time loss in the process due to that.

Taking too long never seemed like an issue for MDE to me. And it won’t be an issue on whatever Mears bus replacement will exist (or whatever company fills the vacuum) or just taking a towncar or Uber/Lyft/taxi. All those options would seem to fit WDWs core guests much better than Brightline will.
DLP is surprisingly close to CDG via TGV.

TTLUTS

I can't imagine the airport or airlines are overly happy about this. Both stand to lose customers with such a decision.
The airport probabl;y paid Disney
If history has shown anything 'those who really want to go to WDW' will accept any sort of disrespect and debasement Disney will dish out.
I disagree......I think hotel occupancy rates will be affected.......I guess we will just have to wait and see.......It wont preclude people from going to WDW, but it will change their minds as to where they stay

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is Scott Gustin reliable?
Yes.

The Mouse has made a big misstep on this one.

This, is not merely a bus.

For a company built entirely off of magical experiences, cancelling this is so very off brand.

The Magical Express has been both the right business decision and the right customer service experience for over 15 years.

Wait. MK is celebrating its 50th. How did people ever get from the airport to their resort with all their luggage for the first 35 years of WDW? Where was the magic? Where was the free transportation and luggage handling? Are you saying no one flew into Orlando until the past 15 years?!

I guess, then, no one ever staying at a non-Disney resort (or going to Universal) ever flies into Orlando because of how expensive and unmagical that would be.

However, this response has the same sort of feeling that move did. Although, if they announce an upcharge it may temper it for the "Disney is a business / everything must be monetized" folks.

How about us folks who are all "I've never used MDE and I don't want my room rates to subsidize people who use it?"

M:SpilotISTC12

Are you saying no one flew into Orlando until the past 15 years?!
So are resort prices prices going back to what they were 15 years ago? If so, then I'll shut my mouth. If not, I'll continue. If we were paying for it in "fees" or inflated resort prices then we should get our "free" ride. But there is a 0% chance the rates or fees will go down.

Last edited:

mac_tlc

Bright line rail service once it happens can be quicker. The 417 toll road from MCO to WDW which is two lanes northbound and southbound can have car accidents that can close the roads and really snarl traffic to either you being late to start your vacation or late to catch and maybe miss your plane going home.
Can’t argue about the possibility of accidents, but they are beginning a multi year project to expand 417 to three lanes each way. Starting at I-drive , all the way up to SR528.

TTLUTS

Yes.

Wait. MK is celebrating its 50th. How did people ever get from the airport to their resort with all their luggage for the first 35 years of WDW? Where was the magic? Where was the free transportation and luggage handling? Are you saying no one flew into Orlando until the past 15 years?!

I guess, then, no one ever staying at a non-Disney resort (or going to Universal) ever flies into Orlando because of how expensive and unmagical that would be.

How about us folks who are all "I've never used MDE and I don't want my room rates to subsidize people who use it?"
That's obviously not the point.....The point is that Disney continues to remove "free" perks that they have been giving to guests that they have become accustomed to..............

You used to have a rotary phone on a cord and you were happy right? Now give me your cell phone.....Are you happy? No........

Thats the point

_caleb

I know it’s too soon for all of you who are mourning the loss of MDE, but I never really understood how so many fans came to see riding in busses as a magical part of their Disney vacation. People Mover trains at MCO, then a charter bus to your resort, then a city bus to the parks. As someone who routinely rides the bus to get around in my city, it just never seemed that special. I always wished for more from Disney in transportation—something original (PeopleMover, autonomous pods, Monorail, SkyLiner etc.) within WDW and to/from the airport.

Lilofan

Can’t argue about the possibility of accidents, but they are beginning a multi year project to expand 417 to three lanes each way. Starting at I-drive , all the way up to SR528.
I'm sure once the overhead rail system gets built from MCO to WDW , homeowners that live next to the miles of train track through Orlando and Kissimmee will not be too pleased. It is part of the price to pay to be living in one of the most visited places in the world.

Willmark

airplane-2-panic.gif

bunnyman

Yes.

Have been going to WDW since the mid-1980’s. Yes, we survived before ME. However, since that time the other things you expected have fallen by the wayside; free resort parking, length of stay passes with “+ perks” (I.e. water parks, Disney Quest), discounts on watercraft rentals, newspapers delivered to your door everyday, etc. So yes everyone was paying for it in their room rates, but with another perk dropping away and of course no resort prices falling, you’re still paying for it and now no one is getting any of the benefits.

mightynine

Well, good news - you’ll still be paying those same rates!

I think this line of thinking is absurd. I never, ever use the pools at the resort - do you think I'm complaining about my room rates paying for their use and upkeep? Or the plenty of things my park ticket and/or package goes towards paying for at the resort that I don't use and have no interest in? We're all "subsidizing" something at WDW with our being there, get over it.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Have been going to WDW since the mid-1980’s. Yes, we survived before ME. However, since that time the other things you expected have fallen by the wayside; free resort parking, length of stay passes with “+ perks” (I.e. water parks, Disney Quest), discounts on watercraft rentals, newspapers delivered to your door everyday, etc. So yes everyone was paying for it in their room rates, but with another perk dropping away and of course no resort prices falling, you’re still paying for it and now no one is getting any of the benefits.
The room cleaners stopped changing the bed sheets and towels daily for quite some time in the resorts. Mega money savings for Disney and perhaps some people didn't even care or notice. Now guests are paying for a hotel room and can elect no room cleaning which is a bigger savings for Disney.

tirian

Yes.

I know it’s too soon for all of you who are mourning the loss of MDE, but I never really understood how so many fans came to see riding in busses as a magical part of their Disney vacation. People Mover trains at MCO, then a charter bus to your resort, then a city bus to the parks. As someone who routinely rides the bus to get around in my city, it just never seemed that special. I always wished for more from Disney in transportation—something original (PeopleMover, autonomous pods, Monorail, SkyLiner etc.) within WDW and to/from the airport.

I hated the nonstop commercials in those buses and only used them because I’d already paid for them anyway. Likewise, I used the Magic Band rather than a room key card because I’d already paid for it. Sometimes I drove to a hotel and parking was already built into the price of my room. I occasionally used EMH because I paid for it, too.

Now I’m still paying for all of that, but getting nothing in return.

Where’s the confusion?

Buck Wheelie

Disney has lost a lot of money in the last few months and are cutting everywhere. If Disney wants people to come back after the pandemic the guests are still going to expect the same level of service. Disney can't bulldoze the parks and expect people to enjoy an empty field. I know that's extreme but how many cost cutting measures will people put up with before going to Universal or somewhere else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom