News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

Disney Glimpses

Well, if they build a huge central station in Disney Springs, drop off the passengers from the train and then from the station buses or other modes will take them to their resorts. The train's purpose is to cut the traveling time in half. Anyways, it might be but still not also.
The problem is the trains won't run nearly often enough to handle the volume (they won't have enough of them). And even if they did, they would need a Magical Express like operation at Disney Springs to get resort guests to the resorts. At which point, easier to just keep the current offering.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Well, if they build a huge central station in Disney Springs, drop off the passengers from the train and then from the station buses or other modes will take them to their resorts. The train's purpose is to cut the traveling time in half. Anyways, it might be but still not also.

Is there space for them to build a huge central station? Or would they just clear out the 'old' Disney Springs area (where Earl of Sandwich is)?

50th Anniversary. Increasing the ticket prices annually did not deter guests anyways.

That's true. I wonder how much impact people spending the past year away from WDW will have on future travel when things return to 'normal'.

Obobru

When I bought into DVC (2014), it was these "extras" that really sold me. It was these sorts of things that made Disney stand out and helped me fully relax during the vacation (I didn't have to worry about transportation, luggage, etc. All I had to worry about was trying to make it across the park in time for my next fastpass). For a while, it seemed like Disney was focused on how to make a better vacation experience for people. Some of that seems to have been lost.
Does the contract with DVC mention Magical Express and any other extras? Disney has so many people locked in with it they can cut as much as they want and it would seem you have nothing you can do about it?

I think DVC has played into a lot of decisions Disney has made about the parks in the past 10-15 yrs as it's changed a large chunk of the visitor dynamic which changes thinking about what they can get away with cutting and what they need to invest in.

Giss Neric

Is there space for them to build a huge central station? Or would they just clear out the 'old' Disney Springs area (where Earl of Sandwich is)?

That's true. I wonder how much impact people spending the past year away from WDW will have on future travel when things return to 'normal'.
I know a lot of people and I mean a lot who are saving up and holding back their trips so they could go specifically for this anniversary year. Well, I don't know now that 2020 happened if their plans are still intact. Maybe they'll go now knowing that this is the last year for the magical express.

Disney Glimpses

Does the contract with DVC mention Magical Express and any other extras? Disney has so many people locked in with it they can cut as much as they want and it would seem you have nothing you can do about it?

I think DVC has played into a lot of decisions Disney has made about the parks in the past 10-15 yrs as it's changed a large chunk of the visitor dynamic which changes thinking about what they can get away with cutting and what they need to invest in.
Nope, essentially no membership extras are contracted.

doctornick

I doubt DME would be contractually included in DVC, but... in theory I've got to imagine that Disney has ben charging DVC members for their portion of the DME as part of the maintenance fees. I wonder if stopping MDE would help to lower maintenance fees (or have a lower increase) in 2022?

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
I know a lot of people and I mean a lot who are saving up and holding back their trips so they could go specifically for this anniversary year. Well, I don't know now that 2020 happened if their plans are still intact. Maybe they'll go now knowing that this is the last year for the magical express.

That's definitely understandable. I also wonder (naively) if people will realize they can live without WDW and do other trips. Probably not.

I have no idea when I'll be back and I'm not exactly rushing back.

sanctumsolitude

I doubt DME would be contractually included in DVC, but... in theory I've got to imagine that Disney has ben charging DVC members for their portion of the DME as part of the maintenance fees. I wonder if stopping MDE would help to lower maintenance fees (or have a lower increase) in 2022?
I am pretty sure it is included in the “transportation” item on the annual dues. It will be interesting to see how that cost compares next year.

eliza61nyc

That's definitely understandable. I also wonder (naively) if people will realize they can live without WDW and do other trips. Probably not.

I have no idea when I'll be back and I'm not exactly rushing back.
I think that could depend, I don't know the ratio of return guest to first timers.
First timers in 2022 won't know what they are missing having never been.
What % of guest use DME?? We never have but Im probably an anomaly

icc2515

They only guarantee you a room. They don't even guarantee you the theme parks. They could close those theme parks, and all you would have left is a hotel room and a boat load of maint fees.

Sir_Cliff

The problem with that line of thought is that the really wealthy people are used to getting much more for their money than Disney is offering. Why stay at a Disney resort when you could stay at the Four Seasons and have an experience that dwarfs Disney's current offerings in every way?

And that's if those people are going to Disney at all. Just because they have plenty of money to spend doesn't mean they don't care about value -- in fact, they're often far more discerning about how they spend money than the people who can't really afford it.
I agree. It's honestly been puzzling to me that for a business that deals in volume WDW has got away with raising prices to such a premium level while visiting has become an increasingly unpleasant experience with greater crowds, shorter hours, fewer perks, etc. and a greater sense of being nickel and dimed at every turn.

Perhaps that's a testament to how well the economy has been doing, but it's likely there won't be so much cash floating around for a while to come. And, really, are those still flush with cash really fantasising about getting up months in advance to book their spaces in line for rides, jumping up at the crack of dawn every day to get a half an hour of manageable crowds in, etc? If I were so cash rich and time poor, that wouldn't be my choice.

Giss Neric

Red circle could possibly the site of the Disney Springs train station
EreAIvmXMAAaUFo.jpg

Sir_Cliff

many major airports have trains (or metros) that serve as the next hop to your destination (London, Oslo, just to name two that use an express rail). It's pretty easy as a business traveler, but I wouldn't want to do it with my griswald collection of people and bags. Plus it means another transfer... makes for a long day.
I feel the same way. Living in Europe, you take it for granted you can get off at an airport and catch a train into the centre of the city. That's great if you're travelling alone and travelling light. It's exhausting, though, if you've got a lot of luggage and have to deal with long flights, let alone having to wrangle children.

The Brightline station really doesn't offer what DME offered.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom