Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

tcool123

Most other theaters don't have that deal.
In my area every chain theater has the deal or something similar.

Regal: $21.99
AMC as mentioned
Cinemark: 9.99 (one ticket, and all other movie tickets are the same price and some other benefits)
CMX/Cobb: Price varies, very customizable. Can be just one theater, weekdays and up to 6 movies a month.
Cinepolis alongside mom and pops are the only ones without these subscription services popularized by Movie Pass all those years ago.

Doing research I found that
Cineplex: 9.99 (same as Cinemark's deal)

The top four alongside wherever CMX/Cobb is in the theater industry have that deal or something similar. While it may be insignificant if all the major players have something similar there has to be some sort of an effect.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
i dont know if this has been answered before but does anyone know how AMC A-List app subscribers tickets count toward box office numbers? I pay 20 bucks a month and can see 3 movies a week at any AMC and I usually see 3-4 a month so it pays for itself, good deal imo. But do those tickets count towards ticket sales numbers or not?
Its basically a subsidization program, AMC is paying for your ticket in order to try to get higher concessions purchases out of you.

So the ticket is still counted in box office numbers as AMC is still paying for your ticket.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Seems pretty insignificant. How many people are subscribers and how many use it per movie. Most other theaters don't have that deal. It's a fraction of total ticket sales to be rounding error.
Most of the national theater chains have some kind of reward or "frequent flyer" type program. Its the local independent theaters that may not have them. Even your local Harkins has a rewards program.

Phroobar

Most of the national theater chains have some kind of reward or "frequent flyer" type program. Its the local independent theaters that may not have them. Even your local Harkins has a rewards program.
They do but they don't have a offer like that. It's mostly money back on purchases or loyalty cups and popcorn refills.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They do but they don't have a offer like that. It's mostly money back on purchases or loyalty cups and popcorn refills.
Can't speak for your theaters but as @tcool123 pointed out many of the national chains have similar programs where the theaters provide free tickets and other discounts and such. For example I use the Cinemark program and I get one free ticket a month, 25% discounts on concessions, and huge discounts on tickets (sometimes up to 90%).

So it much more than just some loyalty cups and popcorn refills.

Trauma

Tha Realest

Another Disney-owned character’s film is going to make even more this weekend! And on a production budget that’s less than half of what TLM cost to produce!

Sadly, almost all of that money is going to Sony

Prince-1

The media was overjoyed this morning. Turns out the remake is going to make more than the original.

They forget to mention pesky little things like budgets and inflation.

They are desperate for any spin now.

1685720027637.png

Disstevefan1

The original 1989 TLM when adjusted for inflation made $516.2 million in today's dollars. (I used a random calculator on the interweb)

Today's TLM, as per Numbers site is at 206.7 million so far.

I am guessing by the end of its run, today's TLM could possibly come close?

Disstevefan1

The original Snow White only made $8 million during its initial run. LIGHTYEAR made SIX TIMES that in its first weekend alone!

This is a fun game!
This is fun!

As per the numbers site, the 1937 Snow White made 184.9 million at the (domestic only) box office. This must be over its lifetime!
The 1937 Snow White, when adjusted for inflation, cost about 10.5 million to make. This does not include marketing costs.

The 2022 Lightyear (I liked the move actually) as per the numbers site, made 118.3 million (domestic only)
According to the numbers site, it cost 200 million to make, this does not include marketing costs, which was tens of millions.

All that said, box office numbers are really worthless today as we do not know how much money actually goes back to TWDC for any movie.

Trauma

This is fun!

As per the numbers site, the 1937 Snow White made 184.9 million at the (domestic only) box office. This must be over its lifetime!
The 1937 Snow White, when adjusted for inflation, cost about 10.5 million to make. This does not include marketing costs.

The 2022 Lightyear (I liked the move actually) as per the numbers site, made 118.3 million (domestic only)
According to the numbers site, it cost 200 million to make, this does not include marketing costs, which was tens of millions.

All that said, box office numbers are really worthless today as we do not know how much money actually goes back to TWDC for any movie.
They are not worthless.

If a movie cost to make and market say $500 million, and it only brings in $300 you at least know for sure it lost money.

Disstevefan1

They are not worthless.

If a movie cost to make and market say $500 million, and it only brings in $300 you at least know for sure it lost money.
Totally agree, in a case like this it's clear, yes.

But when a movie gets close to breaking even, it's hard to know how much of the box office goes back to the company and how much it costs the company to make and market.

Hey, look TWDC is spending $$ for Elemental marketing!
1685726839492.png

Trauma

Totally agree, in a case like this it's clear, yes.

But when a movie gets close to breaking even, it's hard to know how much of the box office goes back to the company and how much it costs the company to make and market.

Hey, look TWDC is spending $$ for Elemental marketing!
View attachment 720788
In the case of Elemental it might not even make back production cost let alone marketing.

The one I have my eye on is Indy.

If that bombs it’s time to fire someone.

If Iger is not sure who ( he does seem confused ) I could make some suggestions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom