Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You can have your opinion, but please explain, if you would how Disney would bleed off billions in less than a year and go bankrupt? The segments that were shut down were not staffed, they laid off a bunch of CMs. It wasn't payroll. I mean seriously WDW was shut down for a few months. ESPN got up and running pretty quick and ABC actually gained market share.
I have an opinion. If you think differently so be it. There were a lot of steps that lead up to the D+ launch, such as buying BamTech for example, had Disney not decided to get into streaming a lot of those steps may never have happened. Putting Disney into a different position than they were in the beginning of the pandemic. Could they have survived, maybe, but possibly wouldn't have been unscathed and intact. So maybe bankrupt is a bit of an exaggeration, but its possible it could have happened. We have the benefit of hindsight here, but in the early days of the pandemic when everything was shutdown and there was no end in sight there were a lot of doubts on some industries and companies surviving. As I've said I'm happy we never had to find out.

But seriously I'm done talking about this in this thread.

Tha Realest

Well, maybe we can wait until this one is out of post production before we start speculating on it being a disaster. I will say that Marc Webb is a great director and he did 500 Days of Summer, one of my favorite films.
Looks great so far! This film is in good hands with the guy that brought us the films that prompted a hasty reboot of Spider-Man.

1689431128722.png

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Looks great so far! This film is in good hands with the guy that brought us the films that prompted a hasty reboot of Spider-Man.

View attachment 730210
In a statement to The Independent, a Disney spokesperson clarified: “The images that ran [in the Daily Mail] are not official film photos. These show stand-ins for some talent and do not feature Rachel Zegler or Andrew Burnap.”

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This is the Little Mermaid thread.

Y'all may be looking for....

Disstevefan1

View attachment 730210
Wait, this is serious? I truly thought it was a joke. Wow.

There is nothing wrong with TWDC creating new stories. Just give them new titles and don’t associate these new creations with the classics.

Tony the Tigger

Who said that???? Oh yes, you did.

It’s fine they create a new story, just don’t title it “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs”, that’s all I am saying.
Why would that bother you?

Again, if it were an original (stolen from Germany) film that came out today, do you think every one of the 7 would be white?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Do you know what “cultural appropriation” means?

Yes I do. "A dwarf is a type of supernatural being in Germanic folklore. Accounts of dwarfs vary significantly throughout history; however, they are commonly, but not exclusively, presented as living in mountains or stones and being skilled craftsmen. Wikipedia" The Brothers Grimm first published Schneewittchen (Little Snow White) in Kinder und Hausmärchen, a pioneering collection of German folklore, in 1812. Little Snow White tells the story of a powerless young beauty and the trials and tribulations she goes through after escaping from her evil stepmother. Disney used this as the basis for Snow White and the Seven Dwarves but added stereotypical behavior for various personal character attributes, animals. etc to keep the audience's attention. Remember that in 1937 when Disney's animation was released it was still in the deep depression that had started in 1928, so escapism for however brief of a time was in high demand. The average education during this time period was dropped by the majority of the population as it was a luxury many just couldn't afford.

Tony the Tigger

Again, no one here has brought up their race. Since you’re a mind reader, can you please tell us what the producers were thinking?
I most sincerely don’t care what the producers were thinking. This is not high stakes for me.

It could literally be anything. Maybe they were trying to be more realistic and less fairy tale? Example: it is often suggested the “giants” referenced in the Bible stories were not “Jack and the Beanstalk style”exaggerations of giants, just tall people.

The idea that 7 people were all exactly the same height and so forth is the fairy tale version.

Most other Snow White live action movies have been pretty big departures from the Disney animation. Everyone has their take. Once Upon A Time even had their take.

So let these folks have their take. See it or don’t. Enjoy it or don’t.

But don’t box them in to make it exactly the same as a cartoon.

Does the identity or number of people who took care of Snow White matter to the story? Nope.

I’m guessing they’re thinking how they would make Snow White today, in a more aware and diverse society - which is precisely what they’re doing after all. Should they be constrained by the dominant perspectives of the early 20th century? Or make it more relevant to now and future generations?

Old people will still have their old versions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom