Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

Tony the Tigger

Yes I do. "A dwarf is a type of supernatural being in Germanic folklore. Accounts of dwarfs vary significantly throughout history; however, they are commonly, but not exclusively, presented as living in mountains or stones and being skilled craftsmen. Wikipedia" The Brothers Grimm first published Schneewittchen (Little Snow White) in Kinder und Hausmärchen, a pioneering collection of German folklore, in 1812. Little Snow White tells the story of a powerless young beauty and the trials and tribulations she goes through after escaping from her evil stepmother. Disney used this as the basis for Snow White and the Seven Dwarves but added stereotypical behavior for various personal character attributes, animals. etc to keep the audience's attention. Remember that in 1937 when Disney's animation was released it was still in the deep depression that had started in 1928, so escapism for however brief of a time was in high demand. The average education during this time period was dropped by the majority of the population as it was a luxury many just couldn't afford.

That is not cultural appropriation.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
That is not cultural appropriation.

Myths and mythology express a culture's worldview: that is, people's conceptions and assumptions about humankind's place in nature and the universe, and the limits and workings of the natural and spiritual world. Schneewittchen isn't a globalist narritive. This feeble attempt at presenting it as an acultural story is confused at best. You'd do just as well reimaging Phantom of the Opera as vaudeville with the Phantom as a mildly annoyed dilettante from the suburbs of New Jersey and Christine Daaé as a former NFL lineman.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Why would that bother you?

Again, if it were an original (stolen from Germany) film that came out today, do you think every one of the 7 would be white?

If they were to not culturally appropriate, yes.

Myths and mythology express a culture's worldview: that is, people's conceptions and assumptions about humankind's place in nature and the universe, and the limits and workings of the natural and spiritual world. Schneewittchen isn't a globalist narritive. This feeble attempt at presenting it as an acultural story is confused at best. You'd do just as well reimaging Phantom of the Opera as vaudeville with the Phantom as a mildly annoyed dilettante from the suburbs of New Jersey and Christine Daaé as a former NFL lineman.
Make up your mind. Your latest post means you think the original adaptation was cultural appropriation. Then why are you only calling the new one that (based on one photo, no less?)

doctornick

They should just make a new move with a new title.
This, a thousand times this. If they just want to make something kinda similar to SWAT7D but not remake the original movie but in live action then just make a completely different film with different title and market it as a spin off or deconstruction of the original. Like what they did with Maleficent. If they are marketing it as “Snow White and the Seven Dwarves” and a remake of the original and try to use nostalgia then they need to keep it as similar to the original as possible.

I don’t personally care what they do but it’s financially stupid to try to pass something off as similar to the original if they radically change characters, plot points, etc. That’s a recipe for failure and dissatisfaction.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Because when you change the characters and the plot it’s not the same movie, so change the title too.

If they were smart (which they are not) they would change the title to something like “Magic Mirror” and make the mirror the villain.

The mirror instigates the fight between the Queen and SW and eventually the Queen, SW, and her friends all realize it’s all the doing of the mirror and the Queen, SW and her friend must work together to defeat the mirror.

Everyone has their own skill that must be used to defeat the mirror and in the end SW does whatever her skill is to finally defeat the mirror, no prince needed.

Screamface

Could be, I don't know. Dial of Destiny did not seem to make Crystal Skull look much better.

Eventually, you just want to not step in the dog poop or the cow pie.

The highs of Crystal Skull are better than the highs of Dial of Destiny. The lows are a bit lower but overall Crystal is a better Indiana Jones film. This has pretty much been the consensus from people who aren't just remembering Crystal Skull being a disappointment and then seeing an ok Indy film.

celluloid

The highs of Crystal Skull are better than the highs of Dial of Destiny. The lows are a bit lower but overall Crystal is a better Indiana Jones film. This has pretty much been the consensus from people who aren't just remembering Crystal Skull being a disappointment and then seeing an ok Indy film.

Seems to work with the analogy I posted earlier then. you want the one from the dog or the cow to be switched is all. The result is the same. We are treading in lesser products.

TP2000

This is still The Little Mermaid thread.

You're right. And it's now the middle of summer, seven weeks after Mermaid debuted, so let's all do The Swim and check out the box office numbers for this fish.

As of the latest weekend that just ended, The Little Mermaid has lost Disney $73 Million thus far. :oops:

That's assuming the most optimistic 60/40 box office take for Domestic/Overseas and the most conservative assumption that they only spent $100 Million marketing (They reportedly actually spent $140 Million, but let's just pretend they only spent $100 Million).

Everybody Do The Swim.jpg

Production Budget $250 Million + Marketing Budget $100 Million = $350 Million
60% of Domestic Box Office Take = $176 Million
40% of Overseas Box Office Take = $101 Million
Global Box Office Take for Disney = $278 Million
Net Loss For Disney Thus Far = $73 Million

So, that's another summer tentpole that Disney is still losing tens of millions of dollars on. Elemental is also still losing a lot of money, and Indy 5 is a dumpster fire burning at least $200 Million in cash.

But, at least.... um... at least.... it's still summer.

So let's cheer things up for the kids in Burbank and mermaids everywhere, and do The Swim... :cool:

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Happened to rewatch CS before seeing DoD. It was better than I remembered, but the whole alien storyline is too silly IMO. Nazis are real. I prefer that fight.

BrianLo

You're right. And it's now the middle of summer, seven weeks after Mermaid debuted, so let's all do The Swim and check out the box office numbers for this fish.

As of the latest weekend that just ended, The Little Mermaid has lost Disney $77 Million thus far. :oops:

That's assuming the most optimistic 60/40 box office take for Domestic/Overseas and the most conservative assumption that they only spent $100 Million marketing (They reportedly actually spent $140 Million, but let's just pretend they only spent $100 Million).

View attachment 730418

Production Budget $250 Million + Marketing Budget $100 Million = $350 Million
60% of Domestic Box Office Take = $172 Million
40% of Overseas Box Office Take = $101 Million
Global Box Office Take for Disney = $273 Million
Net Loss For Disney Thus Far = $77 Million

So, that's another summer tentpole that Disney is still losing tens of millions of dollars on. Elemental is also still losing a lot of money, and Indy 5 is a dumpster fire burning at least $200 Million in cash.

But, at least.... um... at least.... it's still summer.

So let's cheer things up for the kids in Burbank and mermaids everywhere, and do The Swim... :cool:

Your math is wrong, I was confused why your calculation increased from last week. Should be 176 million for domestic. Gotta count those dollars and cents in the cushions.

I mean it is shockingly inching closer than expected. I still don't have allusions about a box office break even, but it's now in the ballpark.

TP2000

Your math is wrong, I was confused why your calculation increased from last week. Should be 176 million for domestic. Gotta count those dollars and cents in the cushions.

I mean it is shockingly inching closer than expected. I still don't have allusions about a box office break even, but it's now in the ballpark.

Oh geez, you're right, I corrected it. I rounded up to $294 Million domestic and re-calculated. Twice.

All of the numbers have now been corrected, assuming a $176 Million domestic take for Disney and the fish.

Which puts The Little Mermaid at a current loss of $73 Million for Disney thus far.

I hate math. :(

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom