Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

erasure fan1

Its basically only because D+ launched that Max (HBO Max) even launched. There is no guarantee that had Disney not announced plans to get into streaming in 2016 starting with ESPN, and then 2017 with D+, that any other streamer would have existed. Basically every other studio followed Disney's decision to get into streaming.

So other than Netflix and maybe Prime there is likely not many if any at all they would have been able to sell content to at the time.
It doesn't matter who. Content distributors would have lined up to pay Disney for their content. Of that I have no doubts. Hbo, showtime, starz, Netflix.... Zero D+ wouldn't by any stretch of the imagination have caused them to go bankrupt. Heck, making their catalog available to Vudu for rental alone would have made them tons of cash. You can support D+, that's fine. But that's a pretty outlandish claim in my opinion.

LSLS

The only reason Disney stock remained high during the pandemic is because of D+. Had there been no D+ its very possible the stock would have plummeted into single digits making it ripe for take over. Remember D+ was the only business unit bringing in money. Parks, theaters, cruise line, studios, every other business unit was shut down for a long time with no end in sight.

So yes while D+ hasn't yet turned a profit it was bringing money into the company at a time when no other business unit was. Thus allowing the stock to remain high, thus allowing the company to take out bridge loans to maintain operations, etc.

It amazes me how many people forget the time period we're talking about.
There is no chance. Cedar Fairs is a STRICTLY amusement park company (so they were really hammered), and their stock did not drop to single digits. Paramount did not drop that. They both dropped by about half. Half of Disney would have been 20 more points than what it did drop. I'd agree that D+ helped with that. But you literally said they would have gone BANKRUPT without it, that is nowhere close to true. I don't even buy they would have been in some grand hostile takeover without it. They would have very quickly sold off more rights to more stuff

Disney Irish

Premium Member
WOW! this is 300 percent wrong!

To say TWDC would not be here blows my mind!!!! Never happen.

TWDC for sure would be here, and their movies would be making money when they sell the content to other screamers.

It doesn't matter who. Content distributors would have lined up to pay Disney for their content. Of that I have no doubts. Hbo, showtime, starz, Netflix.... Zero D+ wouldn't by any stretch of the imagination have caused them to go bankrupt. Heck, making their catalog available to Vudu for rental alone would have made them tons of cash. You can support D+, that's fine. But that's a pretty outlandish claim in my opinion.
There is no chance. Cedar Fairs is a STRICTLY amusement park company (so they were really hammered), and their stock did not drop to single digits. Paramount did not drop that. They both dropped by about half. Half of Disney would have been 20 more points than what it did drop. I'd agree that D+ helped with that. But you literally said they would have gone BANKRUPT without it, that is nowhere close to true. I don't even buy they would have been in some grand hostile takeover without it. They would have very quickly sold off more rights to more stuff

You're entitled to those opinions, just like I'm entitled to mine, and I'm happy we didn't have to find out. But I have no doubt in my mind that had D+ not launched when it did that either TWDC wouldn't be here today or at the very least wouldn't be the same company in so many ways that we all love (or in some cases love to hate). Again I'm happy we didn't have to find out.

Point is don't be so quick to discount D+'s importance and contributions to the company over the course of its short history.

LSLS

You're entitled to those opinions, just like I'm entitled to mine, and I'm happy we didn't have to find out. But I have no doubt in my mind that had D+ not launched when it did that either TWDC wouldn't be here today or at the very least wouldn't be the same company in so many ways that we all love (or in some cases love to hate). Again I'm happy we didn't have to find out.

Point is don't be so quick to discount D+'s importance and contributions to the company over the course of its short history.

That's fine, but the fact is much smaller companies that have much less-no revenue streams during lockdown did not drop as much as you are saying Disney would have. You are talking about a Fortune 100 company blowing through ALL it's money to bankrupcy over the course of like 3 months. Their stock becoming totally worthless because of the pandemic, and being totally unable to find any way to slow/stop it. Companies like Dillards saw drops of 50%, but you think Disney drops by 95%. By the way, Netflix actually had a drop when the lockdowns started as well. Not as bad as the others we have discussed, but right around 10%. You can have your opinions, but the evidence I'm seeing doesn't come close to backing your conclusions.

erasure fan1

But I have no doubt in my mind that had D+ not launched when it did that either TWDC wouldn't be here today or at the very least wouldn't be the same company in so many ways that we all love (or in some cases love to hate).
I'm curious as to why you think this. Like others have said, they were spending more on it than they were bringing in. I just can't do any mental gymnastics to come to the same conclusion.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That's fine, but the fact is much smaller companies that have much less-no revenue streams during lockdown did not drop as much as you are saying Disney would have. You are talking about a Fortune 100 company blowing through ALL it's money to bankrupcy over the course of like 3 months. Their stock becoming totally worthless because of the pandemic, and being totally unable to find any way to slow/stop it. Companies like Dillards saw drops of 50%, but you think Disney drops by 95%. By the way, Netflix actually had a drop when the lockdowns started as well. Not as bad as the others we have discussed, but right around 10%. You can have your opinions, but the evidence I'm seeing doesn't come close to backing your conclusions.
And you're assuming that DIS stock would have been exactly where it was at right before the pandemic. A lot of the valuation pre-pandemic was the run up in anticipation of and post D+ launch including the 21CF acquisition (which is a discussion unto itself). So who knows where DIS stock would have been in 2020 right before the pandemic had D+ not been announced, but it would have dropped and dropped a lot.

Some of these discussions are best had in other threads not one about TLM.

LSLS

And you're assuming that DIS stock would have been exactly where it was at right before the pandemic. A lot of the valuation pre-pandemic was the run up in anticipation of and post D+ launch including the 21CF acquisition (which is a discussion unto itself). So who knows where DIS stock would have been in 2020 right before the pandemic had D+ not been announced, but it would have dropped and dropped a lot.

Some of these discussions are best had in other threads not one about TLM.

Disney stock in July 2015 (2 years before 21st century, 4 before the D+ launch) was $120. You are correct, I'm assuming it would not have been below Cedar Fairs or Paramount. Again, I'm not arguing that D+ was a bad thing or even doesn't help them, I'm taking issue with this idea Disney would cease to exist without it.

Disstevefan1

1689186180779.png

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm curious as to why you think this. Like others have said, they were spending more on it than they were bringing in. I just can't do any mental gymnastics to come to the same conclusion.
I've explained my position, if you don't see it and/or have a different opinion that is fine. And again I'm glad we didn't have to go through that.

But DIS wouldn't have been just fine and dandy without D+ when the pandemic hit, even with licensing or selling assets. I strongly believe it would have been taken over by someone, and maybe even sold off for parts.

Maybe one day someone can do a real "what if" history scenario of what could have happened if Disney didn't getting into streaming.

But I suggest we just end this discussion in this thread. If someone wants to keep talking about it lets take it over to the D+ thread.

Dranth

Um, the stated goal from launch was always ramp up subscribers for 5 years to hit profitability in 2024. Disney never really wavered from that goal, even after they hit subscriber targets right at launch earlier than expected they still maintained the 5 year goal of profitability in 2024. That was the goal day one, and they are knocking at the door of hitting that same goal on time.
Agreed, that was always the stated goal and I also believe they are going to hit it. However, it took firing their CEO and reinstalling one who immediately introduced some drastic measures to drop spending. Without that, there was little chance they were going to hit that 2024 date and it is one reason Chapek got the boot. Let's not forget the uproar he caused when he basically sat there on an earnings call and told people everything was great with streaming and to ignore the fact that their spend was astronomical compared to the guidance they had given. That they would somehow still hit their target but when questioned by investors on how that was going to happen he deflected and in the end offered NO plan. Needless to say it did not go over well.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Disney stock in July 2015 (2 years before 21st century, 4 before the D+ launch) was $120. You are correct, I'm assuming it would not have been below Cedar Fairs or Paramount. Again, I'm not arguing that D+ was a bad thing or even doesn't help them, I'm taking issue with this idea Disney would cease to exist without it.
Again that is my opinion, you are entitled to have a different one.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Agreed, that was always the stated goal and I also believe they are going to hit it. However, it took firing their CEO and reinstalling one who immediately introduced some drastic measures to drop spending. Without that, there was little chance they were going to hit that 2024 date and it is one reason Chapek got the boot. Let's not forget the uproar he caused when he basically sat there on an earnings call and told people everything was great with streaming and to ignore the fact that their spend was astronomical compared to the guidance they had given. That they would somehow still hit their target but when questioned by investors on how that was going to happen he deflected and in the end offered NO plan. Needless to say it did not go over well.
I think we're on the same page here. And I'm not saying its been all roses and rainbows, and eventually they would have had to cut spending especially in the long term. But their stated goals have remained pretty much the same, with only a few adjustments to sub targets. How they get there, as with any company trying to hit revenue goals, is always in the details.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
TWDC is too big to fail. Too many institutional investors. ;)
Once again if you really think that I'd like to talk to you about a land investment opportunity that I think you would be perfect for.

I don't think anyone here can't claim that I'm not a "rah rah Disney" poster, but even I'm not silly enough to think DIS is not too big to fail.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Once again if you really think that I'd like to talk to you about a land investment opportunity that I think you would be perfect for.

I don't think anyone here can't claim that I'm not a "rah rah Disney" poster, but even I'm not silly enough to think DIS is too big to fail.
Well, yes, not invincible.
I have crossed "global pandemic" off my list of things that could end them.
There are other things on my list I don't want to even mention.
One thing that will never be on my list is, "Not having D+"
TWDC are being allowed to lose enough money on D+ every quarter to build and immediately sink a cruise ship.

It's a good thing they cut back on the EPCOT renovation and closed the Star Cruiser to save some money.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well, yes, not invincible.
I have crossed "global pandemic" off my list of things that could end them.
There are other things on my list I don't want to even mention.
One thing that will never be on my list is, "Not having D+"
TWDC are being allowed to lose enough money on D+ every quarter to build and immediately sink a cruise ship.

It's a good thing they cut back on the EPCOT renovation and closed the Star Cruiser to save some money.
Lets just agree to disagree because this derailed discussion has gone on long enough. If anyone wants to continue it we can do it in this thread - https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...ces-disney-and-hulu-espn-star-hotstar.951364/

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Sorry, @Disney Irish, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on a point of fact.

During the pandemic lockdowns, D+ was just starting to grow, but was posting huge losses as part of being a loss-leader.

With the parks and theaters closed and streaming not profitable, what kept TWDC from having huge losses overall were the linear channels (TV). They were still making a huge profit with ad dollars and subscription to premium channels. It was ABC and Disney Channel that kept TWDC at break-even during the pandemic. They were the only profitable segments during that time.

It's all there in the quarterly filings.

Now, that doesn't mean that D+ wasn't necessary. Those linear channels which kept TWDC afloat are dying with all the cord cutting, which is still continuing. If TWDC doesn't find a way to monetize content apart from linear channels, they'd be a very bad place.

Remember how stock analysts would predict that ESPN (the linear channel) would drag Disney down, so... sell it!..?

The answer is to switch to what is destined to replace the Cable Box, namely streaming with D+, Hulu, and ESPN+.

That's why D+ became the #1 priority, even at the expense of theatrical success.

TWDC failed to notice that winning the streaming war at all costs by goosing subscriptions would only work as a short term strategy. Or they did recognize it (because steep price hikes were always part of the plan), but, they didn't switch tactics fast enough. It caught Chapek by surprise. And now Iger is talking up quality of subs instead of quantity.

It's a painful lesson all the streamers learned last year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom