Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

LittleBuford

Maybe because the other renaissance films all made over a billion and this one didn't come close?
Yet the film itself is curiously missing from the discussion. I defy anyone to argue that The Lion King is a better remake than The Little Mermaid, even if it made a lot more money. But so focused has this thread become on issues of profitability (mainly to serve the "Disney is failing" narrative) that any consideration of the film's strengths and weaknesses, both in themselves and relative to those of the other remakes, has been very much sidelined. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised given that many (and perhaps most) of those posting here haven't even seen it!

erasure fan1

Yet the film itself is curiously missing from the discussion. I defy anyone to argue that The Lion King is a better remake than The Little Mermaid, even if it made a lot more money. But so focused has this thread become on issues of profitability (mainly to serve the "Disney is failing" narrative) that any consideration of the film's strengths and weaknesses, both in themselves and relative to those of the other remakes, has been very much sidelined.
The answers in the question as they say. Lion king was terrible in my opinion. Aladdin and Beast weren't much better in my eyes but they all were in the billion dollar club. That makes this a talking point. If the movie made close to a billion or more, the thread goes quietly into the night. But when a movie like this, that everyone pegged for at least 750/800mil, and it doesn't come close, people are going to talk about it.

LittleBuford

The answers in the question as they say. Lion king was terrible in my opinion. Aladdin and Beast weren't much better in my eyes but they all were in the billion dollar club. That makes this a talking point. If the movie made close to a billion or more, the thread goes quietly into the night. But when a movie like this, that everyone pegged for at least 750/800mil, and it doesn't come close, people are going to talk about it.
Again, they’re not talking about it, but around it. One needs to actually see a film to have an informed opinion on whether it’s any good or not.

erasure fan1

Again, they’re not talking about it, but around it. One needs to actually see a film to have an informed opinion on whether it’s any good or not.
Agreed. But hasn't the vast majority of the thread, since a week or so after the film released, been about the box office and profitablity of the film? That's what's been driving the discussion.

lazyboy97o

Agreed. But hasn't the vast majority of the thread, since a week or so after the film released, been about the box office and profitablity of the film? That's what's been driving the discussion.
By people who don’t really care. Who were going to find a reason to keep going no matter what. Just like there was always a reason to keep going when the box office wasn’t an issue. Even now, people are bending over backwards to make international issues into domestic issues because that’s the agenda they’re pushing.

Phroobar

My wife is rewatching Once Upon A Time.
We are at the point where Ariel shows up to help Captain Hook with something silly. JoAnna Garcia Swisher made a great Ariel.

iu

Vegas Disney Fan

I think for most of us this thread stopped being about the Little Mermaid about 150 pages ago, it became a catch all thread to discuss box office, budgets, costs, what percent of the take the studio gets, etc, etc, etc. Stuff that we found interesting.

Someone even started a new thread from this one to specifically talk about box office results that has had about the same number of replies as this one over the last couple weeks, about 30 pages worth.

Most threads here derail and go off topic, the discussion goes where the discussion goes. If we limited ourselves strictly to thread titles we’d have a million threads with 5 responses each.

LittleBuford

The story of the film’s popularity in the Philippines, where it’s the top release of the year so far, is fascinating to me.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The story of the film’s popularity in the Philippines, where it’s the top release of the year so far, is fascinating to me.

That is a weird enigma…I bet no one predicted that?

Tha Realest

Maybe it just introduces some nuance. The Phillipines is a completely different country and culture than, say, South Korea.
There was no nuance in the repeated slurs against Asians for the low box office for this film. One poster slandered Asians as committing a “moral failure” for not supporting this movie. I said at the time that “Asians” should not be looked at monolithically.

Sir_Cliff

Yeah…but it didn’t do gangbusters in Japan, Australia or New Zealand either…

That Philippines tally really is an outlier
Going beyond the issue of blurring a lot of very different countries and cultures into 'Asia', I don't know that's entirely true. It has done quite well in Australia (only a 10% drop in its 6th week last week and still the #3 film) and in Japan it seems to be Disney's most successful film this year.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Going beyond the issue of blurring a lot of very different countries and cultures into 'Asia', I don't know that's entirely true. It has done quite well in Australia (only a 10% drop in its 6th week last week and still the #3 film) and in Japan it seems to be Disney's most successful film this year.
Solid for the market…I guess?

But not really an impressive take in any country outside perhaps the Philippines…including the US

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom