Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

wtyy21

Exactly. Although even Mermaid's domestic box office was noticeably weaker, up to 50% or more, than the past three live action remakes.

But then there's Mermaids overseas box office, which was catastrophically bad compared to the previous three remakes, and which doomed the bloated $250 Million budget regardless of what American audiences did. Or in this case, what Americans didn't do.

Just look at these inflation adjusted numbers for Mermaid's disastrous overseas box office, plus its comparatively weak domestic box office. At the overseas box office Mermaid '23 pulled in the following... :oops:

Only 30% of Overseas Box Office of Aladdin
Only 27% of Overseas Box Office of Beauty & The Beast
Only 19% of Overseas Box Office of The Lion King

View attachment 728543J
I would to be agree here, Mermaid '23 remake is one of few Disney live-action remakes that more domestic-heavy in terms of box office numbers (as for now). Never seen before a Disney live-action remake like TLM received majority box office earnings from domestic earnings (54%) than overseas ones (46%), maybe because International audiences was influenced by internet troll regarding Ariel that caused underwhelming International box office numbers.

Even Cinderella live-action remake (2015) had more box office revenues from overseas than domestic ones. Interesting there is the movie budget is lower than Mermaid '23.
Screenshot_2023-07-06-07-35-41-69.png

lazyboy97o

We’ve seen lots of complaints against “bloated” park budgets also, if I had a dollar for every complaint over what Tron, Guardians, or Moana cost I’d be living in Golden Oaks right now.

I view this as the same thing, spending $500 million on Guardians was outrageous and people called them out on that too, that doesn’t mean we want cheaper rides but if it’s eating up the whole ride budget for years and Disney has to raise prices (more) to cover these massive budgets it’s bad for us as consumers.

It also sucks that as Disney parks fans we inevitably end up paying for the D+ loses, movie loses, and any other loses they incur via higher prices for everything in the parks.
Part of the difference is what people are saying as a solution. Outside of a few people, you don’t have many suggesting Disney needs to be more like Cedar Fair when it comes to building (or maintaining!) rides. You do have a whole chorus of people claiming Disney should be doing this or that which ignores history and what that would actually entail.

Disstevefan1

Actually @Disney Irish misquoted the Deadline article to you. Break even was somewhere around 440-450. 560M was 71M in profit with residuals then qualifying and being paid out of some of that.
The numbers are all over the place.

If there is any truth that TLM cost $250 to make then you have marketing costs, 450 is not even close.

Therefore, folks can believe whatever they want in both directions. The truth is out there someplace.

I want to hope TWDC does not lose money on any of their movies.

Disstevefan1

Well, maybe we can wait until this one is out of post production before we start speculating on it being a disaster. I will say that Marc Webb is a great director and he did 500 Days of Summer, one of my favorite films.
As I said, I hope I am wrong.

When I hear "Snow White live action remake" I am going in depressed, not excited.

Now Moana on the other hand, I want to see it because I am a fan of the Rock so I want to see how it does with it.

Tha Realest

Which raises a question I’ve asked but which hasn’t really been answered - do the folks glorying in TLMs failure want authoritarian governments to have a veto over American entertainment products? I was livid when Transformers: Age of Extinction halted its “narrative” to present what amounted to an ad glorifying the Chinese government, and I’ve been highly critical of Disney’s relationship with that government. A lot of the anti-TLM posters are the same who constantly bring up China to try to divert from American political issues, so I ask again - should Disney base creative decisions on how they think China (or Russia, or Saudi Arabia, etc) will react?
So a company chooses to budget projects requiring extensive buy-in from a totalitarian country (where they also get a huge percentage of their manufactured goods and have chosen to become business partners in at least one theme park) and its *our* problem?

BrianLo

The numbers are all over the place.

If there is any truth that TLM cost $250 to make then you have marketing costs, 450 is not even close.

Therefore, folks can believe whatever they want in both directions. The truth is out there someplace.

I want to hope TWDC does not lose money on any of their movies.

Post theatrically is what I am referring to. When DVD/BluRay, digital sales and D+ receipts are accounted for. We have a good source on this number in Deadline, which people are free to ignore. Theatrically alone, no, TLM will not break even. If it did, I imagine this thread would be dead.

While the number is not publicly given out by studios, the studios know the number. Because the talent must know the number. So the trades generally can find out that number. Anthony with Deadline has a long history for summarizing the actual receipts in his annual article series on winners and losers he usually does each Spring.

Disstevefan1

Post theatrically is what I am referring to. When DVD/BluRay, digital sales and D+ receipts are accounted for. We have a good source on this number in Deadline, which people are free to ignore. Theatrically alone, no, TLM will not break even. If it did, I imagine this thread would be dead.

While the number is not publicly given out by studios, the studios know the number. Because the talent must know the number. So the trades generally can find out that number. Anthony with Deadline has a long history for summarizing the actual receipts in his annual article series on winners and losers he usually does each Spring.
There was a lot of good discussions on these boards.

The fact is that TWDC will do what it will do no matter what is said here.

It appears that TWDC will continue to pump out live action remakes until there are none left to do.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

KeithVH

There was a lot of good discussions on these boards.

The fact is that TWDC will do what it will do no matter what is said here.

It appears that TWDC will continue to pump out live action remakes until there are none left to do.

Maybe the best options is to look at their live action library and turn all those into animated versions?

I laugh at the idea and then cringe about the possibility.

erasure fan1

Maybe the best options is to look at their live action library and turn all those into animated versions?

I laugh at the idea and then cringe about the possibility.
If you think that an animated pirates of the Caribbean wasn't talked about, I have a bridge to sell you. Lol.

I'd say it's a matter of when they start, not so much if.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom