Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

LittleBuford

So you want everyone to detach themselves from reality and pretend the film was a massive success so your feelings dont get hurt?
Not at all. But the larger question is why we have to reduce this thread to a myopic concern with the film’s financial success. Imagine going to a book club to discuss something you’d read only to find the discussion dominated by a bunch of angry men who had no interest in the book and only wanted to talk about how few copies it sold. Because that’s basically what this thread has become.

LittleBuford

Well to be fair, the people who want to talk about the content of the film and all the details not relating to box office returns. Have all abandoned that thread and it's now buried on page 3. A certain poster even said thankfully the "trolls" aren't coming to this thread. Yet all those people are in this thread. It would seem to me that if people don't want to talk about box office and the sort, they would have stuck to the spoiler thread?
There’s nothing about this thread that would encourage people to contribute or stick around (except for a few of us who are gluttons for punishment). To reuse a term from my earlier post, it’s totally joyless in here.

Casper Gutman

Not at all. But the larger question is why we have to reduce this thread to a myopic concern with the film’s financial success. Imagine going to a book club to discuss something you’d read only to find the discussion dominated by a bunch of angry men who had no interest in the book and only wanted to talk about how few copies it sold. Because that’s basically what this thread has become.
And those posters want to consider the film’s success in complete isolation, devoid of any context regarding the rest of the entertainment industry and the fortunes of other studios, all while reveling in complete ignorance of how the industry works. In fact, context and knowledge are derided as deception. It’s a sad microcosm of what has happened to American discourse.

Disney Analyst

That’s a fabulous analogy. Bravo to you!

erasure fan1

There’s nothing about this thread that would encourage people to contribute or stick around (except for a few of us who are gluttons for punishment). To reuse a term from my earlier post, it’s totally joyless in here.
Exactly, so why still post? Go to the spoiler thread that was supposed to be for the discussion of the film for those who have watched it. That was the thread for you to talk about the movie and the artistic merit of the film. But it seems all of the people who wanted to talk about that stuff keep coming here to argue. There was another thread, it's just not being used anymore.

LSLS

See I disagree with your analogy. I think that applies to the spoiler thread, which is where people who have seen the movie and want to discuss what happens/what they enjoyed/etc. go. If you are going to a book club, it is assumed you read the story, just like the spoiler thread. These threads tend to be much more about discussing the larger context of the movie (i.e. how it does). I think it's unfair to say people who have not seen it can't have any interest in the overall success of the movie and discuss where it's at/how it did. I think the financial failure of this movie is a pretty large story. Both people who wanted to see it and didn't want to see it all predicted it to hit a billion on the low end. The fact it didn't is a story. The people interested in the larger story also deserve a place to also discuss things, especially as it relates to the industry as a whole.

LittleBuford

Exactly, so why still post?
Because I’m one of the gluttons for punishment I mentioned. On principle, I’m not willing to abandon this thread to those who are intent on coopting it for ideological reasons.

Go to the spoiler thread that was supposed to be for the discussion of the film for those who have watched it. That was the thread for you to talk about the movie and the artistic merit of the film. But it seems all of the people who wanted to talk about that stuff keep coming here to argue. There was another thread, it's just not being used anymore.
The idea that one has to go to a secondary spoiler thread to discuss the film is an absurd overextension of the concept of a spoiler. Again, I’m not prepared to let those who would dominate this main thread with their negativity have their way unopposed.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

See I disagree with your analogy. I think that applies to the spoiler thread, which is where people who have seen the movie and want to discuss what happens/what they enjoyed/etc. go. If you are going to a book club, it is assumed you read the story, just like the spoiler thread. These threads tend to be much more about discussing the larger context of the movie (i.e. how it does). I think it's unfair to say people who have not seen it can't have any interest in the overall success of the movie and discuss where it's at/how it did. I think the financial failure of this movie is a pretty large story. Both people who wanted to see it and didn't want to see it all predicted it to hit a billion on the low end. The fact it didn't is a story. The people interested in the larger story also deserve a place to also discuss things, especially as it relates to the industry as a whole.
I have no problem with discussion. On the contrary, I welcome it. But relentlessly and repeatedly posting the same talking points, all with the intention of tendentiously painting the film as an abject failure, is not discussion.

erasure fan1

And those posters want to consider the film’s success in complete isolation, devoid of any context regarding the rest of the entertainment industry and the fortunes of other studios, all while reveling in complete ignorance of how the industry works.
There's been plenty of dumping on DC and the others for poor performance. But we are on a Disney discussion site, in a Disney films section. So it's really no wonder it leans the majority to the side of Disney.
I think the financial failure of this movie is a pretty large story. Both people who wanted to see it and didn't want to see it all predicted it to hit a billion on the low end. The fact it didn't is a story. The people interested in the larger story also deserve a place to also discuss things, especially as it relates to the industry as a whole.
Yes, it very much is a big story. I had no desire to see it but I defended it saying it would end up around 800mil. So yea, why can't that be talked about.
The idea that one has to go to a secondary spoiler thread to discuss the film is an absurd overextension of the concept of a spoiler. Again, I’m not prepared to let those who would dominate this main thread with their negativity have their way unopposed.
You can discuss it here if you want. The problem I'm trying to point out is no one else seems to want to. The spoiler thread was where those types of discussions were happening. Like I said, all the "trolls" from this thread weren't posting there. But that thread got abandoned.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There's been plenty of dumping on DC and the others for poor performance. But we are on a Disney discussion site, in a Disney films section. So it's really no wonder it leans the majority to the side of Disney.
Of course…there is no doubt of this.
Yes, it very much is a big story. I had no desire to see it but I defended it saying it would end up around 800mil. So yea, why can't that be talked about.
The truth…tends to hurt?
You can discuss it here if you want. The problem I'm trying to point out is no one else seems to want to. The spoiler thread was where those types of discussions were happening. Like I said, all the "trolls" from this thread weren't posting there. But that thread got abandoned.
A big part of yet another “brilliant” strategy of the last ten years has been to make easy coin off live action remakes. If that is waning…it’s just as big of a problem for Disney as Marvel losing steam or LFL/Pixar postings duds…

DKampy

Well, the good news is, TLM is going to buy or rent on the stream, at the end of July, then DVD, then eventually on D+ so there is a strong possibility Disney can break even or even make some money on TLM.
With PVOD at 19.99 I say there is a definite it will make a profit… renting a movie has never been so expensive as of right now… it is actually cheaper for my wife and I to go to the theater locally

Trauma

That’s because there is a spoiler thread for the discussion of the film.

If you want to ONLY discuss the film that would be a more appropriate place for you and your misandry.

Jedijax719

Tick tock tick tock....still no marketing numbers for BatB, TLK, or Aladdin?

Why are marketing costs only brought up for TLM while being apparently ignored for other movies?

Disstevefan1

With PVOD at 19.99 I say there is a definite it will make a profit… renting a movie has never been so expensive as of right now… it is actually cheaper for my wife and I to go to the theater locally

19.99 for my family is absolutely a savings. There is no comparison.

That said, we are waiting for TLM to go on D+ for "free".

FYI, we also waited for Top Gun to get on the stream for free. It has nothing to with the movie.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Tick tock tick tock....still no marketing numbers for BatB, TLK, or Aladdin?

Why are marketing costs only brought up for TLM while being apparently ignored for other movies?
The marketing budget has long been assumed to be about 50% of the production budget and part of honest box office performance discussions. It’s not something new or different.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom