Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

Chi84

Premium Member

LittleBuford

Having seen this in theaters and now having listened to the soundtrack several times, one thing that has stuck out at me is what seems to be a lack of projection the singing. Everything sounds rather soft spoken and uniform. Where this really hurts is in the different asides, notably those in “Part of Your World” and “Poor Unfortunate Souls” that just sound sung through. Having also recently listened to “Belle” from the live action film it too seemed to have the same issue. I’m not quite sure if it’s just a contemporary style choice with how the e songs were produced, the result of not utilizing musical theater singers or the loss of Ashman directing so they are just sort of sung through.
I'll have to listen out for this when I rewatch it.

Did you enjoy it otherwise?

Angel Ariel

Having seen this in theaters and now having listened to the soundtrack several times, one thing that has stuck out at me is what seems to be a lack of projection the singing. Everything sounds rather soft spoken and uniform. Where this really hurts is in the different asides, notably those in “Part of Your World” and “Poor Unfortunate Souls” that just sound sung through. Having also recently listened to “Belle” from the live action film it too seemed to have the same issue. I’m not quite sure if it’s just a contemporary style choice with how the e songs were produced, the result of not utilizing musical theater singers or the loss of Ashman directing so they are just sort of sung through.
it’s definitely different style choices. Jodi Benson was a Broadway singer. Jodi’s autobiography talks about how Ashman had to talk to her about reigning it in and actually singing smaller because she was singing like she had to reach the back of the house - she wasn’t used to singing in a recording studio.

Opposite issue here with Bailey - she’s used to singing in the recording studio, where dynamics aren’t as dynamic (for lack of a better word ;) ) these days. IMO, movie musical singing really needs a balance - understanding how to work that mic and recording studio setting, but also giving the sound enough body to feel authentic.

Angel Ariel

There are quality movies that have been box office failures, and box office successes that are crappy movies. I’ll take the former over the latter any day.

Since I mentioned this earlier, and we watched Way of Water for the first time tonight - yeah, it definitely falls into the latter category. I get that it was a box office success, but dang that is just not a well told story. Too long, not enough character development to get invested in most of the characters (the younger son and the human boy are really the only two that had any of that), and little nuance to anything. Hans is a more complicated “villain” than the antagonists in this. Yes, it’s very pretty. But movies should require more than that.

TP2000

Do you see any good reason not to count Avatar among the films released by Disney in the past year?
Because technically it’s not a Disney film, it’s only distributed by them. It’s a Lightstorm Entertainment film (Cameron’s production company) so they’ll get the majority of the profits, I can’t find a definitive number but estimates are Disney will get between 20-40% of the profits as the distributor.

After expenses the profit should be somewhere in the $1.5 billion range so Disney should make somewhere between $300-600 million from Avatar 2 while most of it ($900 million -1.2 billion) will go to Lightstorm.

Not a bad haul but nowhere near what they’d make if they made the film themselves.
I understand all this, but shouldn't Disney share of the profit be counted in any assessment of the company's box-office health?

All valid questions and valid points.

It makes my head hurt to think what Disney got as a distributor deal for Way of Water. But let's go with the most optimistic number thrown out here, that Disney took 40% of the profit and thus got $600 Million from Way of Water's box office success.

That means that in the last 9 tentpole films of the past calendar year (including Way of Water that had a global box office of 2.32 Billion Dollars in American cash money), Disney still has lost $290 Million making/distributing those 9 movies.

You say Disney lost $890 Million, I say Disney lost $290 Million. It's still gonna leave a nasty bruise. :oops:

Tha Realest

It makes my head hurt to think what Disney got as a distributor deal for Way of Water. But let's go with the most optimistic number thrown out here, that Disney took 40% of the profit and thus got $600 Million from Way of Water's box office success.

That means that in the last 9 tentpole films of the past calendar year (including Way of Water that had a global box office of 2.32 Billion Dollars in American cash money), Disney still has lost $290 Million making/distributing those 9 movies.

You say Disney lost $890 Million, I say Disney lost $290 Million. It's still gonna leave a nasty bruise. :oops:
If we’re going to count the profits from Avatar 2, we should also count the profits/losses from the rest of the 20th Century Fox acquired slate. They basically dumped those films in the theaters.

Disstevefan1

Valliant Renegade (probably forbidden to mention on these boards) he shows all the numbers, estimates the $890M loss at the moment, will be some amount less when all the movies are out of theaters.

DKampy

I'm finding much higher estimates of Disney's share online, though I admit to knowing very little about how these breakdowns work.

different studios negotiate different Percentages of the profit… a rule of thumb is 50% just because it is an average…but there are reports that Disney has a higher profit margin than most studios and get about 60% profits

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
When is anyone else here getting national attention? The 3-4 Disney apologists left need to reevaluate their life…

Breitbart is a noted culture warrior site.

It is quoting a culture warrior Youtube channel...

1687787703824.png

1687787728704.png

1687787760020.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom