Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

TP2000

Doesn’t everyone get their facts from estimates made by YouTube box office analyst Valiant Renegade?

I've never heard of the guy myself, so I'm not sure what his personal brand is, but his math seems to add up. And he's provided the math on his video so anyone can check it. A few screen shots that gets him to his seemingly accurate mathematic take on the situation.

Disney spent 2.75 Billion on the last eight tentpole movies.

Shocking Budgets.jpg

But only made I.86 Billion in profit from global box offices on those 8 films. And look how many movies were blocked by Communist China. 🤔

Shaky Profits.jpg

That's math even a dunce like I can do with a little golf pencil and an air sickness bag.

2.75 Billion minus I.86 Billion = 890 Million

The Walt Disney Company has lost 890 Million Dollars on its last 8 tentpole films over the past calendar year.

But sure, this is fine. It's fine. They just want to make really good movies. And did you see the Tomatometer on Elemental today? Take that to the bank tomorrow morning and ask for the Tomatometer credit on it to be applied to the Pixar checking account. ;)

LittleBuford

I love that the term "Disney haters" (for those who continually rail against Disney) is somehow "low class" and "ignorant" but it's totally OK to speak of "Disney apologists" who "need to reevaluate their life".

This thread is fast rivalling the defunct dungeon.

doctornick

I’ve loved the Flash TV show, but I have no interest in seeing the flash movie. I may eventually watch it on streaming for Michael Keaton, but have no interest in paying to see Ezra Miller. I’m less surprised that’s doing poorly.

I saw someone make the point that The Flash was basically a celebration of the DCEU and DC films in general and most everyone kinda doesn’t care about DC as a brand right now. I remember some chatter that the Flash was going to be a huge success after the WBD chief was hyping it but thought that was crazy.

I’m really curious about Aquaman 2 since WBD has basically bailed on the DCEU with Gunn’s new DC universe impending.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I saw someone make the point that The Flash was basically a celebration of the DCEU and DC films in general and most everyone kinda doesn’t care about DC as a brand right now. I remember some chatter that the Flash was going to be a huge success after the WBD chief was hyping it but thought that was crazy.

I’m really curious about Aquaman 2 since WBD has basically bailed on the DCEU with Gunn’s new DC universe impending.
Basically DC right now is flatlined, Gunn is going to have a hard time reviving it. I don't see much in terms of box office success from either A2 or Beetle.

WBD has way worse problems right now than Disney, so for all the complaining of some around here WBD wishes it could have Disney's problems.

Jedijax719

Know what else loses money? Paying a price as a premium member just to bait and troll for kicks while throwing shade at the company in question just to get a rise out of people.

Vegas Disney Fan

Do you see any good reason not to count Avatar among the films released by Disney in the past year?

Because technically it’s not a Disney film, it’s only distributed by them. It’s a Lightstorm Entertainment film (Cameron’s production company) so they’ll get the majority of the profits, I can’t find a definitive number but estimates are Disney will get between 20-40% of the profits as the distributor.

After expenses the profit should be somewhere in the $1.5 billion range so Disney should make somewhere between $300-600 million from Avatar 2 while most of it ($900 million -1.2 billion) will go to Lightstorm.

Not a bad haul but nowhere near what they’d make if they made the film themselves.

LittleBuford

Because technically it’s not a Disney film, it’s only distributed by them. It’s a Lightstorm Entertainment film (Cameron’s production company) so they’ll get the majority of the profits, I can’t find a definitive number but estimates are Disney will get between 20-40% of the profits as the distributor.

After expenses the profit should be somewhere in the $1.5 billion range so Disney should make somewhere between $300-600 million from Avatar 2 while most of it ($900 million -1.2 billion) will go to Lightstorm.

Not a bad haul but nowhere near what they’d make if they made the film themselves.
I understand all this, but shouldn't Disney share of the profit be counted in any assessment of the company's box-office health?

Vegas Disney Fan

I understand all this, but shouldn't Disney share of the profit be counted in any assessment of the company's box-office health?
Probably, it’s not a huge factor in overall profitability though.

I actually calculated that off $2.2 billion but I didn’t account for theaters getting approximately 40-45% of ticket sales… so it’s closer to $1.2 billion after theaters, half a billion of that goes to production costs, so roughly $700 million in profit. That leaves $140-280 million for Disney (20-40%) and $420–560 million to Lightstorm.

Still not chump change but not dramatically altering Disneys financials.

After looking into this a bit I’m not sure how any studios make money, there’s a lot of hands in the mix. https://stephenfollows.com/how-a-cinemas-box-office-income-is-distributed/

LittleBuford

Probably, it’s not a huge factor in overall profitability though.

I actually calculated that off $2.2 billion but I didn’t account for theaters getting approximately 40-45% of ticket sales… so it’s closer to $1.2 billion after theaters, half a billion of that goes to production costs, so roughly $700 million in profit. That leaves $140-280 million for Disney (20-40%) and $420–560 million to Lightstorm.

Still not chump change but not dramatically altering Disneys financials.

After looking into this a bit I’m not sure how any studios make money, there’s a lot of hands in the mix. https://stephenfollows.com/how-a-cinemas-box-office-income-is-distributed/
I'm finding much higher estimates of Disney's share online, though I admit to knowing very little about how these breakdowns work.

Vegas Disney Fan

I'm finding much higher estimates of Disney's share online, though I admit to knowing very little about how these breakdowns work.

I don’t either, that’s why I went searching and the numbers vary greatly based on which article I pull up, I went with the one I quoted just because it seemed the most detailed and gave broad ranges, I have no idea how accurate their estimates are though.

Makes my head hurt just looking at all the different breakdowns. Lol.

lazyboy97o

Having seen this in theaters and now having listened to the soundtrack several times, one thing that has stuck out at me is what seems to be a lack of projection the singing. Everything sounds rather soft spoken and uniform. Where this really hurts is in the different asides, notably those in “Part of Your World” and “Poor Unfortunate Souls” that just sound sung through. Having also recently listened to “Belle” from the live action film it too seemed to have the same issue. I’m not quite sure if it’s just a contemporary style choice with how the e songs were produced, the result of not utilizing musical theater singers or the loss of Ashman directing so they are just sort of sung through.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom