Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I did that here over the weekend. But here it is again, the link to my post a few pages back...

Did you notice that Avatar was left off that list?

And Doctor Strange 2?

TP2000

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yes, several of us discussed that and James Cameron's film company and his distribution deal behind Way of Water a page or two later.

I'll let you catch up on the thread here. ;)
However one thing that keeps being left off is Doctor Strange 2, with it all the losses you keep touting get wiped out.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Funny that movie that has an African American lead(in a costume usually worn by a white guy) and a love interest who is very LGBT positive has done so well. Maybe the reason Dianey movies have struggled has more to do with the fact people have reached exhaustion from certain franchises (MCU and Star Wars), are tired of the live action retreads, oe the movies are just not that good(Strange World, more like Dull World) than any kind of specific backlash.
I also think that parents know these movies will be at there house within months, so why pay 100 bucks at the theater when with a little patience you can sit and watch at home. Disney+ giveth and taketh away
Ok…valid point.

Now stop quoting me!!!

ABQ

DS2 was still in theaters this time last year, so it counts as it was still earning at the box office.
The chart simply went June 2022 - June 2023 Can't really claim he was cherry picking unless something from in that time period was omitted. I suppose if you include it in the totals you can say TWDC only lost 610 million or so. Still not worth celebrating.

1687817398637.png

TP2000

However one thing that keeps being left off is Doctor Strange 2, with it all the losses you keep touting get wiped out.
Didn’t it say in the last year?

I believe the blogger did clarify that in his video, yes.

As for "touting" anything, we were discussing the math that blogger came up with that showed Disney has lost $890 Million on its last 8 tentpole films of the past year.

But if you widen it out for the past I4 months to include Multiverse of Madness, and include the distribution deal with James Cameron on Way of Water, using the same math the blogger did, you get this tally...

8 Tentpole Box Office Loss To Disney = $890 Million
Way of Water Box Office Profit To Disney = $600 Million
(the most optimistic number I could find, other sources were $400-$500)
Doctor Strange 2 Box Office Profit To Disney = $I76 Million

Factoring in Way of Water's profit via the distribution agreement with Cameron, and Doctor 2's box office take (half of global box office take minus $300 Million production/marketing budget), that's a combined profit of $776 Million from those two films. The $890 Million loss from the 8 Tentpoles, plus a $776 profit from the other two, get us to a $114 Million loss for Disney from those last 10 tentpole films.

Should we go back further in time to try and get more hits to make the math pencil out into the black? Because once you're into 2021 it's Covid Direct To Disney+ territory, and that makes it even worse. :oops:

The Doctor Is In.jpg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The chart simply went June 2022 - June 2023 Can't really claim he was cherry picking unless something from in that time period was omitted. I suppose if you include it in the totals you can say TWDC only lost 610 million or so. Still not worth celebrating.

View attachment 726672

As for "touting" anything, we were discussing the math that blogger came up with that showed Disney has lost $890 Million on its last 8 tentpole films of the past year.

But if you widen it out for the past I4 months to include Multiverse of Madness, and include the distribution deal with James Cameron on Way of Water, using the same math the blogger did, you get this tally...

8 Tentpole Box Office Take To Disney = I.86 Billion
Way of Water Box Office Take To Disney = $600 Million
Doctor Strange 2 Box Office Take To Disney = $I76 Million

Factoring in Way of Water's profit via the distribution agreement with Camerion, and Doctor 2's box office take (half of global box office take minus $300 Million production/marketing budget), that's a combined profit of $776 Million from those two films. The $890 Million loss from the 8 Tentpoles, plus a $776 profit from the other two, get us to a $114 loss for Disney from those last 10 tentpole films.

Should we go back further in time to try and get more hits to make the math pencil out into the black? Because once you're into 2021 it's Covid Direct To Disney+ territory, and that makes it even worse. :oops:

View attachment 726673

Just to be clear DS2 released in May 2022 (only 13 months ago), so if you're including box office from June it has to count since it was still in theaters.

The point is that when you exclude the two largest box office producers for the company in the last year then its not truly giving a correct reflection of the situation, and just trying to cherry pick for a narrative. As saying Disney lost almost $1B is a whole lot different than saying they lost only $114M (if that is the real number).

TP2000

One way you could get that $114 Million loss down a bit is to assume that Disney gets an industry-high 60% take of the global box office for Doctor Strange, instead of the more standard 50% take that the math above assumes.

If Marvel/Disney arranged for a 60% share of the global box office profits, that earns Doctor Strange a $572 box office take for Disney. Minus the $300 Million for production/marketing budget, that would earn Disney $272 Million for Doctor Strange.

Doctor Strange 2 Box Office Profit To Disney = $272 Million (using the most optimistic 60% take of box office receipts)

That would leave us with only an $18 Million loss to Disney since Doctor Strange. You guys, we are so close. What if we went back into the theaters after closing and looked for loose change stuck to the sticky floor? If we found five bucks per theater in change, over 200,000 tentpole showings... oh, crap, that's only $1 Million in extra loose, sticky change. :confused:

TalkingHead

Guys, might as well wait a week or two until you can factor in Indy’s $300m(!!) budget and marketing ($100m? 150m?).

Saw a thing that said adjusted for inflation Raiders’ budget was around $70m.

ABQ

Since adjustments for inflation are being considered and this is the Little Mermaid thread, though this has likely been posted, it's worth posting again, the 1989 film earned over $211 million globally ($517 million if we adjust for inflation).

Disney Irish

Premium Member
One way you could get that $114 Million loss down a bit is to assume that Disney gets an industry-high 60% take of the global box office for Doctor Strange, instead of the more standard 50% take that the math above assumes.

If Marvel/Disney arranged for a 60% share of the global box office profits, that earns Doctor Strange a $572 box office take for Disney. Minus the $300 Million for production/marketing budget, that would earn Disney $272 Million for Doctor Strange.

Doctor Strange 2 Box Office Profit To Disney = $272 Million (using the most optimistic 60% take of box office receipts)

That would leave us with only an $18 Million loss to Disney since Doctor Strange. You guys, we are so close. What if we went back into the theaters after closing and looked for loose change stuck to the sticky floor? If we found five bucks per theater in change, over 200,000 tentpole showings... oh, crap, that's only $1 Million in extra loose, sticky change. :confused:
Look if you want to have a serious conversation about this, then we have to include all numbers. No one is saying go back to 2020 or 2021, we're talking about 2022 and DS2 and WoW were both in theaters during that time period you're using. They have to be counted if you're really wanting to be honest about the box office.

LittleBuford

Look if you want to have a serious conversation about this, then we have to include all numbers. No one is saying go back to 2020 or 2021, we're talking about 2022 and DS2 and WoW were both in theaters during that time period you're using. They have to be counted if you're really wanting to be honest about the box office.
The omission of Avatar (which most certainly falls within the relevant timeframe) already tells us what sort of narrative the source in question is trying to push.

TP2000

I have no problem including Doctor Strange. I get that the blogger put a year cut-off date, but I'm happy to include it.

That’s why I did this math for us in the posts below, but it's still about a $100 Million loss, give or take, when you factor in Way of Water and Doctor Strange:

Doctor Strange 2 Box Office Profit To Disney = $I76 Million

Factoring in Way of Water's profit via the distribution agreement with Cameron, and Doctor 2's box office take (half of global box office take minus $300 Million production/marketing budget), that's a combined profit of $776 Million from those two films. The $890 Million loss from the 8 Tentpoles, plus a $776 profit from the other two, get us to a $114 Million loss for Disney from those last 10 tentpole films.

View attachment 726673

TP2000

The omission of Avatar (which most certainly falls within the relevant timeframe) already tells us what sort of narrative the source in question is trying to push.

And yet it's easy for us to include it. So we did. By all accounts, Way of Water's distribution agreement with James Cameron's film studio added $500 to $600 Million to Disney's bottom line in '22.

I used the $600 Million figure for the math here. That gets us to about a $100 Million loss for the calendar year from 10 Tentpoles.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom