Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

doctornick

Is there a written summary of the claims this person is making in regards to the loss? That number seems higher than what I would guesstimate, but I would appreciate the methodology to scrutinize.

wtyy21

Breitbart is a noted culture warrior site.

It is quoting a culture warrior Youtube channel...

View attachment 726587
View attachment 726588
View attachment 726589
That's Clowfish TV youtube channel, who have more negative bashing toward Disney and takes more positive view about Universal, Paramount, and in lesser extent Warner Bros. (despite since it owned by Warner Bros. Discovery takes more critical view of them).

I believe there's mentioning a content about TLM box office disaster, however it doesn't come in fact that the film now gross more than the movie budget itself, not counting the marketing expense regarding tv promotions of the film ($270M domestic box office against of $250M budget). Lots of audience appreciate the Halle's role as Ariel despite racist backlash toward her in another side.

Club Cooloholic

It amazes me how many people on this site have zero business sense.

Again…stock price. And why are folks getting canned left and right?
There are many factors to why a stock goes down. Tesla probably operates in a manner you approve...yet their stock is way off highs. If we look at Six Flags so is theirs...whats their "controversy" it's as if there are economic factors that are in a cycle that happens no matter what color a mermaid is...

Last edited:

Prince-1

Why does every culture war channel always has the same look… you would be hard pressed to find any differences or creativity

Many of the people who flock to those sites aren't the smartest so there is no need to spend the money to stand out.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

It amazes me how many people on this site have zero business sense.

Again…stock price. And why are folks getting canned left and right?
1687791697065.png

ABQ

Is there a written summary of the claims this person is making in regards to the loss? That number seems higher than what I would guesstimate, but I would appreciate the methodology to scrutinize.
If you can avoid the annoying clickbait thumbnails, he's pretty even keeled in this video in just spelling out what he's gathered on a spreadsheet and explains pretty well where he's coming by the numbers he's using, Deadline, TheNumbers and historical data from prior Disney releases. Linked to just that spot

lazyboy97o

Others have voiced this complaint. I didn't find it so, but that's probably because the parts that added to the length—the fleshing out of Ariel and Eric's romance—were my favourite.
Eric and Ariel together was largely not a part where I found myself bored. Seeing them interact more added to their connection.

It was the adding things that didn’t really matter to the story. There’s a reason they cut Ursula being Triton’s sister from the animated version, because it adds nothing. Why was the Coral Moon so important? Was anybody really lost as to why Triton traded himself to Ursula and needed it explained by Ariel? Do we really need repeated explanations that a sailor wants to explore? What was the point of Eric's conflict with his mother that was just waved away? Why have Ariel explain that Eric totally helped defeat Ursula instead of just having him actually do it like before? The ended just went on and on as everyone explained how the story was being wrapped up including all of these new threads that never actually went anywhere. The siren song was a quick, extra detail that did make sense and added rationale to the deal with Ursula.

LittleBuford

Eric and Ariel together was largely not a part where I found myself bored. Seeing them interact more added to their connection.

It was the adding things that didn’t really matter to the story. There’s a reason they cut Ursula being Triton’s sister from the animated version, because it adds nothing. Why was the Coral Moon so important? Was anybody really lost as to why Triton traded himself to Ursula and needed it explained by Ariel? Do we really need repeated explanations that a sailor wants to explore? What was the point of Eric's conflict with his mother that was just waved away? Why have Ariel explain that Eric totally helped defeat Ursula instead of just having him actually do it like before? The ended just went on and on as everyone explained how the story was being wrapped up including all of these new threads that never actually went anywhere. The siren song was a quick, extra detail that did make sense and added rationale to the deal with Ursula.
None of these things slowed the film down for me, but I appreciate that you are not alone in feeling that the runtime was excessive.

While it didn't affect the pacing for me, I agree that Ursula's being Triton's sister adds absolutely nothing to the plot. Indeed, I would say that it works against the dynamics between the characters as portrayed in both films. They were right to drop it from the first.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

Has anyone seen the Little Mermaid stage show on the Disney Wish?

We saw it in January and it just dawned on me it’s (likely) based on the live action movie. There were a lot of changes we didn’t understand but the one that bothered us the most, and that Lazys post mentioned and got me wondering, is that they changed the end so Ariel defeats Ursula rather than Eric defeating Ursula, it was a nice girl power moment but kind of turns Eric into her sidekick rather than her partner. In the original film Ariel saves Eric at the beginning, Eric defeats Ursula at the end, and they live happily ever after. Now she saves him twice and he just feels kind of helpless. It was a minor change but it stuck out and bothered me.

I didn’t understand a lot of the changes they made on the stage show so it’ll be interesting to watch it again the next time we get on the Wish, and after seeing the new Little Mermaid on D+, to see if it makes more sense.

(Funny that I didn’t make the connection based on Ariel being played by a black actress but the similarity of changing who defeats Ursula did. Not sure if that’s makes me more or less of a grumpy old man.)

Last edited:

BlakeW39

I know you have complained repeatedly about remakes. That was my point: if the point of movies is to make money and sell merch, then it becomes hard to argue against the remakes as they do just that.

I don't like the remakes and generally don't see them, but I'd rather they try and do something worthwhile with them such as picking someone who can sing rather than just picking a big names and figuring out how to make them sing later, for example.

I think this is all fair, and I'll actually personally say something that is gonna be a little off base coming from me:

the remakes aren't even that big of a deal. sure they stink, but it's not even close to one of my biggest gripes with the company. I think people make a big deal about them but as a company Disney has far more pressing issues.

GimpYancIent

Questions? How about this: Since Ariel could not talk why did she not simply take her finger and scribble in the wet sand (they were on a beach) what she wanted to say to Eric?

Sir_Cliff

I think this is all fair, and I'll actually personally say something that is gonna be a little off base coming from me:

the remakes aren't even that big of a deal. sure they stink, but it's not even close to one of my biggest gripes with the company. I think people make a big deal about them but as a company Disney has far more pressing issues.
I'm a bit the same about them. Not a fan, but they mostly seem pretty ephemeral in that they come out, make a ton of money, then all the merchandise, etc. branded to whatever film was remade goes back to the original animated feature. If in 2023 they're going to sell Belle or Simba merchandise or play a clip from Friend Like Me in the nighttime fireworks, for example, in every case it will almost certainly be from the animated version.

We'll see what happens with The Little Mermaid, but that has at least been the pattern as far as I can tell.

LittleBuford

I'm a bit the same about them. Not a fan, but they mostly seem pretty ephemeral in that they come out, make a ton of money, then all the merchandise, etc. branded to whatever film was remade goes back to the original animated feature. If in 2023 they're going to sell Belle or Simba merchandise or play a clip from Friend Like Me in the nighttime fireworks, for example, in every case it will almost certainly be from the animated version.

We'll see what happens with The Little Mermaid, but that has at least been the pattern as far as I can tell.
I suspect we’ll see the new Ariel alongside the old for quite some time.

TP2000

Breitbart is a noted culture warrior site.

It is quoting a culture warrior Youtube channel...

But does the math not add up correctly? The math penciled out for me as an $890 Million loss for Disney from those last 8 tentpole films.

If you can avoid the annoying clickbait thumbnails, he's pretty even keeled in this video in just spelling out what he's gathered on a spreadsheet and explains pretty well where he's coming by the numbers he's using, Deadline, TheNumbers and historical data from prior Disney releases.

That's what I got out of that video too, after never hearing of this guy before and probably won't watch him again.

He ran the numbers from solid industry sources and historical facts and came up with a $890 Million loss for Disney. Ouch.

He may be "Click Baity" (what on YouTube isn't?) but the math is accurate. So is it the message, or the messenger we don't like? Both?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
But does the math not add up correctly? The math penciled out for me as an $890 Million loss for Disney from those last 8 tentpole films.

That's what I got out of that video too, after never hearing of this guy before and probably won't watch him again.

He ran the numbers from solid industry sources and historical facts and came up with a $890 Million loss for Disney. Ouch.

He may be "Click Baity" (what on YouTube isn't?) but the math is accurate. So is it the message, or the messenger we don't like? Both?
I'm not gonna watch the video.

Go ahead and lay out the math here and see if it survives the cherry picking test.

TP2000

I'm not gonna watch the video.

Go ahead and lay out the math here and see if it survives the cherry picking test.

I did that here over the weekend. But here it is again, the link to my post a few pages back...

Club Cooloholic

Now didn’t I…kindly…ask to NOT be quoted?
Ok…but since you rang…I’ll give updated info before I hit unwatch (again)

Those numbers still aren’t “good”…still a significant writedown…I’m adjusting as they come in. But the run is still over.

Here’s the weekend:
View attachment 726477
Is that good? $8 mil on a summer weekend when schools out?

Kids seem to dig Spidey though…bet asteroid City is awesome too 👍🏻

The name is ridiculous…but unfortunately the math is gonna line up with what the trades say

For instances: after collider stops posting “mermaid swims past another benchmark” after it makes $5 bucks…almost everyday. They’ll quietly publish in a month it didn’t cover its budget

And I think decoder publish last week “mermaids impact far beyond its box office”

Uh huh…we don’t have to be in the CIA to recognize a studio plant smokescreen.
Funny that movie that has an African American lead(in a costume usually worn by a white guy) and a love interest who is very LGBT positive has done so well. Maybe the reason Disney movies have struggled has more to do with the fact people have reached exhaustion from certain franchises (MCU and Star Wars), are tired of the live action retreads, or the movies are just not that good(Strange World, more like Dull World) than any kind of specific backlash.
I also think that parents know these movies will be at there house within months, so why pay 100 bucks at the theater when with a little patience you can sit and watch at home. Disney+ giveth and taketh away

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom