Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

ElvisMickey

Ghost93

When is anyone else here getting national attention? The 3-4 Disney apologists left need to reevaluate their life…

While Disney has definitely lost money on many recent projects, Breitbart has a bone to pick with Disney over politics and will spin things in the most anti-Disney way possible so I wouldn't use them as a reliable source.

Also, the source Breitbart cites is a clickbait reactionary YouTuber that makes sensationalist anti-Disney videos.

Chi84

Premium Member

spacemt354

Chili's
On that much we agree. Hundreds of posts from people obsessing about a film they've never seen nor plan to see!
Ironically, if the # of replies in this forum translated to box office, Strange World and Little Mermaid would be #1 and #2, with Lightyear in the Top 10, and Elemental above Avatar 2.
1687729399794.png

TP2000

I was going to make a similar comment, it’s done OK domestically but I wouldn’t call it a success.

currently TLM is at $264m domestically
Aladdin did $355m domestically
Beauty and the Beast did $504m domestically
Lion King did $543m domestically

Yup, and those numbers aren't even adjusted for inflation from 20I7 to 20I9.

The Numbers site has a nifty way of toggling over to adjust for inflation, and Mermaid has clearly come in far less than the other three remakes from the Late Teens. And it also shows just how brutally bad the overseas box office has been for Mermaid, as of this weekend.

Four Tales.jpg

TP2000

While Disney has definitely lost money on many recent projects, Breitbart has a bone to pick with Disney over politics and will spin things in the most anti-Disney way possible so I wouldn't use them as a reliable source.

But is their math wrong? And if so, where is the error?

ElvisMickey

Also, the source Breitbart cites is a clickbait reactionary YouTuber that makes sensationalist anti-Disney videos.
Bro, can’t spin financials. Dollars and cents and the hard facts…

BrianLo

When is anyone else here getting national attention? The 3-4 Disney apologists left need to reevaluate their life…

@TP2000 But is their math wrong? And if so, where is the error?

Ah, nothing like omitting Way of Water...

Regardless of the financing and 300 million in participation to Cameron, Disney still made 531 million on it.

Also the most spectacular failure was Strange World at about 200 million lost, Lightyear at 100 million... but most of this list are all within the realm of barely even. Elementals is too early to determine what it will lose. Their numbers really aren't in line with what Deadline has reported. (Edit: And Thor made 100 million - https://deadline.com/2023/04/thor-love-and-thunder-box-office-profits-1235317525/)

Which is NOT a ringing endorsement of Disney's recent performance by any virtue. But you cannot just disclude one movie for 'reasons'. Avatar should be largely praised for what it achieved.

ElvisMickey

Ah, nothing like omitting Way of Water...

Regardless of the financing and 300 million in participation to Cameron, Disney still made 531 million on it.

Also the most spectacular failure was Strange World at about 200 million lost, Lightyear at 100 million... but most of this list are all within the realm of barely even. Elementals is too early to determine what it will lose. Their numbers really aren't in line with what Deadline has reported.

Which is NOT a ringing endorsement of Disney's recent performance by any virtue. But you cannot just disclude one movie for 'reasons'. Avatar should be largely praised for what it achieved.
Bro…Disney Distributed it. It wasn’t a ”Disney” movie. Cameron made bank, not Disney. They had their palm greased at the most…

BrianLo

LittleBuford

The 3-4 Disney apologists left need to reevaluate their life…

I would say the Disney haters who continue to waste their time on a Disney fansite are the ones in need of introspection.

ElvisMickey

ElvisMickey

I would say the Disney haters who continue to waste their time on a Disney fansite are the ones in need of introspection.
That’s a completely ignorant comment and we all get that you love everything Disney does.

No one here is a Disney hater. Some of us remember when this company was GREAT. We just want this company to be better. The apologists are a million times worse…

BrianLo

Again…stock price. And why are folks getting canned left and right?

For a massive litany of reasons. Most of which surrounds streaming profitability and negative Wall Street sentiment on subscribers. Some of which is content spillover but we must again contextualize the stock price was highest when theatres and parks were closed.

Meaning don't just force a given stock price to fit an agenda. Otherwise Disney should close the parks and get out of the theatrical buisness.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Now didn’t I…kindly…ask to NOT be quoted?
Ok…but since you rang…I’ll give updated info before I hit unwatch (again)
Uh oh, seems like you are slowly coming around. Next thing you'll know you'll be on the 300-325 train. :D
Those numbers still aren’t “good”…still a significant writedown…I’m adjusting as they come in. But the run is still over.

Here’s the weekend:
1687731957279.png

Is that good? $8 mil on a summer weekend when schools out?

Kids seem to dig Spidey though…bet asteroid City is awesome too 👍🏻

Doesn’t everyone get their facts from estimates made by YouTube box office analyst Valiant Renegade?
The name is ridiculous…but unfortunately the math is gonna line up with what the trades say

For instances: after collider stops posting “mermaid swims past another benchmark” after it makes $5 bucks…almost everyday. They’ll quietly publish in a month it didn’t cover its budget

And I think decoder publish last week “mermaids impact far beyond its box office”

Uh huh…we don’t have to be in the CIA to recognize a studio plant smokescreen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom