Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No-one is fighting maths. We're merely trying to expand the discussion beyond the myopic concern for profitability, which has somehow become the obsessive focus of this thread.
Saying it’s a “success/failure” is fighting math.

That happened…repeatedly. Perhaps not by you…but still.

If the goal is to not be myopic…don’t try to score a “partial victory” on math as has been done for 3 excruciating weeks on this movie because polarization came into play here.

That is a valid debate outside of the business end.

This movie should be discussed just like quantumia…same basic slot
But mermaid had a much higher ceiling…and therefore a higher floor as well

Chi84

Premium Member
No-one is fighting maths. We're merely trying to expand the discussion beyond the myopic concern for profitability, which has somehow become the obsessive focus of this thread.
It’s usually Disney that has the myopic concern for profitability. See Genie+ thread.

ETA: And it’s a bad thing there.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maybe re-read it.
I did

Not impressed. 2 different thoughts. You got the wrong guy if you think I EVER advocated remakes.

Generally speaking…I’m not a fan of pounding old actors into things either…unless it’s to simple profit off remakes to fund the operation. That’s all these are. Repeats of Growing Pains that look a bit different.

Except Mark Hamill…shoulda overused him. Really pooched that one 🤓

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s usually Disney that has the myopic concern for profitability. See Genie+ thread.
That’s why you can’t “forget” about it when it’s convenient.

Like a long cruise on the river Denile

If this thing made a billion…it would be lauded by the same claiming for a month it doesn’t matter. The truth liberates us.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ok…I’ll unfollow…”again”…I have faith that the number spinning and coming up with new excuses will finally die down?

So stop quoting this Luis Fernandez fool, please?

Sir_Cliff

I did

Not impressed. 2 different thoughts. You got the wrong guy if you think I EVER advocated remakes.
I know you have complained repeatedly about remakes. That was my point: if the point of movies is to make money and sell merch, then it becomes hard to argue against the remakes as they do just that.

I don't like the remakes and generally don't see them, but I'd rather they try and do something worthwhile with them such as picking someone who can sing rather than just picking a big names and figuring out how to make them sing later, for example.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I know you have complained repeatedly about remakes. That was my point: if the point of movies is to make money and sell merch, then it becomes hard to argue against them.

I don't like the remakes and generally don't see them, but I'd rather they try and do something worthwhile with them such as picking someone who can sing rather than just picking a big names and figuring out how to make them sing later, for example.
Normally I would agree with you…I usually do on other matters.

But they messed this one up. The executive firings are not “coincidence” - all these things are related. Movie flops and lagging park attendance are right up top…as is the D+ nightmare.

I just have no illusions: remakes get $300/$700 or better so it better do it.

$275-300/$225-250?

That’s hell to pay. It just is.

LittleBuford

Saying it’s a “success/failure” is fighting math.

That happened…repeatedly. Perhaps not by you…but still.

If the goal is to not be myopic…don’t try to score a “partial victory” on math as has been done for 3 excruciating weeks on this movie because polarization came into play here.

That is a valid debate outside of the business end.

This movie should be discussed just like quantumia…same basic slot
But mermaid had a much higher ceiling…and therefore a higher floor as well
I have no interest in scoring any kind of victory, partial or otherwise. I don’t know what you think we’re trying to “win” here anyway.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I have no interest in scoring any kind of victory, partial or otherwise. I don’t know what you think we’re trying to “win” here anyway.
Repetitive excuses in an echo chamber give off that vibe.

Look at it from this angle: if it stopped - it would shut me up. We can move on to see how old Ford does, right?

LittleBuford

Repetitive excuses in an echo chamber give off that vibe.

Look at it from this angle: if it stopped - it would shut me up. We can move on to see how old Ford does, right?
No-one is forcing you to post here. You exited once before and asked us not to quote you, a wish we honoured. You nonetheless returned and resumed posting, contributing to the very repetitiousness that you are now criticising (and in which most of us are guilty of partaking).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That’s only because you think anyone who likes anything about Disney needs an excuse. 😉
That was never my stance…still isn’t.

I don’t think you get me (not that you should)

It was never about “not liking Disney”…it was about supporting good material, and by doing that - compel them to meet customer expectations by striving to make good Material.

Excuses for failure is the WORST thing a Disney fan can do.

That really holds for any product - actually.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No-one is forcing you to post here. You exited once before and asked us not to quote you, a wish we honoured. You nonetheless returned and resumed posting, contributing to the very repetitiousness that you are now criticising (and in which most of us are guilty of partaking).
That’s fair.

As is everything I said to you.

Chi84

Premium Member
That was never my stance…still isn’t.

I don’t think you get me (not that you should)

It was never about “not like it Disney”…it was about supporting good material, and by doing that - compel them to meet customer expectations by striving to make good Material.

Excuses for failure is the WORST thing a Disney fan can do.

That really holds for any product - actually.
I don’t agree with the idea that the marketplace is an accurate measure of “good” material. But I absolutely agree that rejection of material by the marketplace will result in less of it.

LittleBuford

"Excuses for failure is the WORST thing a Disney fan can do."

Some of us don't consider the film a failure in the first place, because we're assessing it based on our enjoyment of it rather than in terms its box-office performance. Otherwise, I would have to deem the abysmal Lion King remake a more successful product just because it made more money.

Angel Ariel

Some of us don't consider the film a failure in the first place, because we're assessing it based on our enjoyment of it rather than in terms its box-office performance. Otherwise, I would have to deem the abysmal Lion King remake a more successful product just because it made more money.

Seriously. I watched 5 mins of that and will be happy to never turn it on again. It was weird. Glad I never spent money to see it in theatres. Halle’s LM, though, I will happily rewatch.

There are quality movies that have been box office failures, and box office successes that are crappy movies. I’ll take the former over the latter any day.

Disney Analyst

"Excuses for failure is the WORST thing a Disney fan can do."

Absolutely agree. Lion King made bank and I couldn’t stand it. I barely remember watching it.

Everyone I know who has seen Little Mermaid has loved it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom