Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

Jedijax719

We've somehow moved from Disney's inflated budget (not that inflated) to the horrible casting choice of Halle Bailey (should have been Taylor Swift???) as reasons for the entire collapse of the Disney corporation.

I sense desperate efforts to make Disney look MUCH worse than they are. Forget about the fact that they made $11 billion world wide in movies the year before the pandemic. Forget about the struggles that certain other companies are experiencing (looking at you WB with The Flash taking a 72% tumble this weekend while TLM only dropped 22%). Also, forget about the fact that Disney has 3 of the top 10 movies since the pandemic, including #1 and partial rights to No Way Home.

Did they meet expectations for TLM? No.
Have they completely struggled with animated theatrical releases? Yes.
Does this spell doom for Disney and deem them a failed company? No.

Angel Ariel

Movies are to make money and sell merch…

As it’s not sinking in: if you want “art”, you do it on a budget appropriate. There’s ways to get stars to to that too within the guardrails

You spent hundreds of mil…you need profits. How do you get profits? You pay actors people know?
Why do they get paid so much? Because people don’t have to think to recognize them and they have a track record of pulling in profits.

This has gone all the way back to Hollywood 101.
No one knew who Tom Holland was when he began as Spider-Man. (And the spiderman franchise had already had 2 relatively recent sagas in theatres with other actors). The pull was the franchise, not the actor.

Clearly Disney thought the pull of the little mermaid franchise would be enough. And based on the franchise’s endurance in pop culture and merchandising between 1989-now, they had every reason to think so.

No, it didn’t play out that way. There is likely no single reason for the outcome. Does the backlash about Halle’s casting play a part? Yep. Does the flooding of the market with remakes play a part? Absolutely. Is the movie industry as a whole still seeing changes in movie going behavior between the rise of streaming and the impacts of the pandemic? I think that’s pretty undeniable. Are we going to identify all of the reasons here? Not likely. Disney will adjust, or they won’t. Nothing we say here impacts that.

Jedijax719

As it’s not sinking in: if you want “art”, you do it on a budget appropriate. There’s ways to get stars to to that too within the guardrails

You spent hundreds of mil…you need profits. How do you get profits? You pay actors people know?
Why do they get paid so much? Because people don’t have to think to recognize them and they have a track record of pulling in profits.

LOL-the very definition of a cashgrab.

If Disney does remakes, it's a greedy cashgrab.

If they do said cashgrab but don't make a billion, then they should have cast someone else who is popular and recognizable. Thus, they are a failure.

If they cast someone popular and make money, it was all a cashgrab. Round and round we go.

Baiting much?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I repeat: There are plenty of successful films with breakout actors, just as there are plenty of flops with megastars.
I repeat: it didn’t make enough money, a responsible public traded company figures out why? And does what they can to not have it happen again.
Not sure about 580-600, but …

Not sure?

Not close. This continues to be an exercise in chasing our tail.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
LOL-the very definition of a cashgrab.

If Disney does remakes, it's a greedy cashgrab.

If they do said cashgrab but don't make a billion, then they should have cast someone else who is popular and recognizable. Thus, they are a failure.

If they cast someone popular and make money, it was all a cashgrab. Round and round we go.

Baiting much?
Lol…

Nobody ever question live action remakes are a cashgrab.

Of course they are. From day 1

Now we have to “relearn” that?

This may be the silliest thread in the history of Disney forums. It’s a denial of fact.
But I’m sure we’ll eclipse it in defense of Bobby and all his FIRED execs…no doubt.

Yoi

Enjoy the movies. Nothing I say matters.

LittleBuford

I repeat: it didn’t make enough money, a responsible public traded company figures out why? And does what they can to not have it happen again.
It could have starred someone better known and still done no better than it has. Chris Evans didn't exactly propel Lightyear to box-office success. And the casting of the distinctly non-famous Mena Massoud didn't prevent Aladdin from making a billion.

Figgy1

Premium Member

Still impatiently waiting for the items I want to come back in stock:( There supposedly was a restock but I didn't click fast enough:(

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No one knew who Tom Holland was when he began as Spider-Man. (And the spiderman franchise had already had 2 relatively recent sagas in theatres with other actors). The pull was the franchise, not the actor.

Clearly Disney thought the pull of the little mermaid franchise would be enough. And based on the franchise’s endurance in pop culture and merchandising between 1989-now, they had every reason to think so.

No, it didn’t play out that way. There is likely no single reason for the outcome. Does the backlash about Halle’s casting play a part? Yep. Does the flooding of the market with remakes play a part? Absolutely. Is the movie industry as a whole still seeing changes in movie going behavior between the rise of streaming and the impacts of the pandemic? I think that’s pretty undeniable. Are we going to identify all of the reasons here? Not likely. Disney will adjust, or they won’t. Nothing we say here impacts that.
Well then why didn’t little mermaid “pull” the unknown through?

We’re getting into a complicated discussion here…

I’ll watch the movie when the time comes…not much of a mermaid fan (animated)…but I appreciate its place in history and for Disney

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It could have starred someone better known and still done no better than it has. Chris Evans didn't exactly propel Lightyear to box-office success. And the casting of the distinctly non-famous Mena Massoud didn't prevent Aladdin from making a billion.
So if your point is “there’s no guarantees”…I agree.

Yet it still didn’t “succeed”…and that’s Disneys problem to handle. They’ll likely get aloof and blame the audience…a tactic that’s becoming standard.

Bob should have to work for his yacht. Life is tough for some.

Angel Ariel

Well then why didn’t little mermaid “pull” the unknown through?

We’re getting into a complicated discussion here…

I’ll watch the movie when the time comes…not much of a mermaid fan (animated)…but I appreciate its place in history and for Disney

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom