Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

Disney Analyst

As much as I enjoyed the remake and appreciated the way it fleshed out aspects of the story, the original is in no way lacking as far as Iā€™m concerned. It will always remain my favourite version, though itā€™s also the one I grew up with, so nothing can really compete with it in my eyes.

I donā€™t want it to come off as if Iā€™m saying the original lacks. Just that this takes what was great, and makes it better.

Disstevefan1

Disney Analyst

doctornick

I don't quite understand why this article is calling the Aladdin actor racist? Considering the state of the post-COVID box office, I don't see why it's the unreasonable prediction that this article is making it seem (especially when he ended up being right)?
Agreed. Maybe there is more context to his tweet, but the statement as is seemed pretty reasonable.

Jedijax719

The box office conundrum is difficult to assess. The budget is NOT that far above anything else they've done. And most of what they had done with similar budgets was successful. Aladdin, TLK, and BatB's budgets were not that different from TLM. So what TLM loses in revenue is FAR above the "excess" budget cost. If the budget was $50-$100 million (more like $50 mill) than the other live-action remakes, it pales in comparison to the $500-$700 million the movie will have lost in global revenue. So the issue is NOT the budget. Not by a long shot! If the movie were to end up between $800 mill and $999 mill, all we would have heard is that it didn't make a billion like the others. But the numbers would still be good. With a final global box office hovering around $500 mill, the issue is NOT the budget but the Asian response to the movie, which will forever be debated.

But here's the kicker. Forget about Ariel's race taken at face value. Sometimes, a person auditions for a role and truly has an IT or X factor. Hallie really seemed to have that. Anyone who sees the movie can identify that. She really is something extra special. I am sure she wasn't the only one to audition. But if someone excels THAT much, do you ignore that as a director just to take someone who "looks" more like the animated? Or do you go with the gold you have? The regret for not casting Hallie would have been tremendous seeing the talent she has.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

So, you are saying there is still a chance they may break even on TLM šŸ‘ šŸ‘ šŸ‘ šŸ‘ šŸ‘ šŸ‘

Also read that it's #1 in Japan still, over The Flash, for Wednesday or something.
Not to mention that as of this weekend TLM will move into the 5th spot of the worldwide highest grossing movies this year.

Disstevefan1

I think they will break even. The movie will still be a financial disappointment (Disney was probably hoping for $1 billion), but I think TLM has escaped being a total embarassment.
We have no way of knowing the true costs to make and market TLM and we won't know the true amount of money goes back to Disney, so let's take guesses at what the worldwide gross should be for break even.

My guess is $750 million.

Angel Ariel

1. It was sincere. The comparison was the much weaker domestic little mermaid take now to avatar 2 in December. That was the context.

2. Hope he/she feels better ASAP. There was zero way to know that.

3. I didnā€™t think it was you anywayā€¦my bad.

4. Iā€™ll edit and apologize. Sorry.

5. Thank you, by the wayā€¦the point is much better without the sarcasm. As is often the case.
Itā€™s taken a while to get to the point where I had time to come back to this thread once DD was discharged, so I just wanted to take a quick moment to say thank you for your post.

Also want to briefly clarify that I absolutely didnā€™t expect you to know what my personal situation was at the time - no one could have known that. I shared mostly to give context to the frustration I knew was coming through in my writing.

Thank you to everyone who commented for the well wishes for my daughter. Itā€™s been an intense recovery, but she always amazes me with her resilience, and sheā€™s doing well. šŸ™

Angel Ariel

I truly enjoyed the remake and felt, as others have noted, that there were aspects of the story and characters that were fleshed out better in the live action than was done in the original.

That said, I get the fatigue with the remakes. I see brief bits of the ā€œlive actionā€ Lion King remake for the first time last week and I honestly donā€™t know that I have a need to go back and watch the full movie. Itā€™s still animation - just CGI vs drawn. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø.

Has anyone here read the Twisted Tales series of Disney books? If theyā€™re going to continue with ā€œremakesā€, Iā€™d love to see them take the twisted tales approach. Each book takes a central question from the original Disney story and flips it. So, for ex, for the Little Mermaid twisted tale, the premise question is ā€œwhat would happen if Ariel didnā€™t defeat Ursula?ā€ For Cinderella itā€™s ā€œwhat if Cinderella never tried on the glass slipperā€? The Little Mermaid one (called Part of Your World) was a particularly well done story that Iā€™d really enjoy seeing on screen.

Vegas Disney Fan

I truly enjoyed the remake and felt, as others have noted, that there were aspects of the story and characters that were fleshed out better in the live action than was done in the original.

That said, I get the fatigue with the remakes. I see brief bits of the ā€œlive actionā€ Lion King remake for the first time last week and I honestly donā€™t know that I have a need to go back and watch the full movie. Itā€™s still animation - just CGI vs drawn. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø.

Has anyone here read the Twisted Tales series of Disney books? If theyā€™re going to continue with ā€œremakesā€, Iā€™d love to see them take the twisted tales approach. Each book takes a central question from the original Disney story and flips it. So, for ex, for the Little Mermaid twisted tale, the premise question is ā€œwhat would happen if Ariel didnā€™t defeat Ursula?ā€ For Cinderella itā€™s ā€œwhat if Cinderella never tried on the glass slipperā€? The Little Mermaid one (called Part of Your World) was a particularly well done story that Iā€™d really enjoy seeing on screen.
I havenā€™t read those books but it sounds similar to the ā€œwhat if?ā€ series on Disney+, taking a story everyone knows and changing something to create a butterfly affect and see how it changes everything.

Angel Ariel

I havenā€™t read those books but it sounds similar to the ā€œwhat if?ā€ series on Disney+, taking a story everyone knows and changing something to create a butterfly affect and see how it changes everything.
Yes, similar idea. Iā€™ve read most of the books, and found most of them really enjoyable. The Alice in wonderland one is a bit hard to follow..that was probably the roughest story of all of them.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Itā€™s taken a while to get to the point where I had time to come back to this thread once DD was discharged, so I just wanted to take a quick moment to say thank you for your post.

Also want to briefly clarify that I absolutely didnā€™t expect you to know what my personal situation was at the time - no one could have known that. I shared mostly to give context to the frustration I knew was coming through in my writing.

Thank you to everyone who commented for the well wishes for my daughter. Itā€™s been an intense recovery, but she always amazes me with her resilience, and sheā€™s doing well. šŸ™
Excellent news. And Iā€™ll apologize againā€¦because I know that the quest of a laugh often comes with consequences. I am a frequent visitor to that ā€œtime outā€

Onward and Upward

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I detest the remakes

But I have to say Iā€™m a big fan of the ā€œtwistsā€ā€¦notably malificent and cruellaā€¦

The problem is making sequels for cashā€¦which theyā€™ve done twice and kinda spoiled the well.

And thenā€¦thereā€™s this ā€œlion king live action 2ā€ā€¦
So you make a remakeā€¦but then you now make a live action remake sequel to a movie that never existed?

Huh?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom