Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

Phroobar

The Meg and Meg 2 where Chinese funded. You can always tell by the lead female. Jason Statham started with The Transporter which was totally Chinese funded.

The Chinese would rather see

1The Battle at Lake Changjin5.77573 billionChina2021[2]
2Wolf Warrior 25.68874 billionChina2017
3Hi, Mom5.41330 billionChina2021
4Ne Zha5.03502 billionChina2019
5The Wandering Earth4.68732 billionChina2019
6Full River Red4.54433 billionChina2023
7Detective Chinatown 34.52235 billionChina2022

Personally, I liked the Wandering Earth. I read the book. Very good scifi.

TP2000

The Meg and Meg 2 where Chinese funded. You can always tell by the lead female. Jason Statham started with The Transporter which was totally Chinese funded.

The Chinese would rather see

1The Battle at Lake Changjin5.77573 billionChina2021[2]
2Wolf Warrior 25.68874 billionChina2017
3Hi, Mom5.41330 billionChina2021
4Ne Zha5.03502 billionChina2019
5The Wandering Earth4.68732 billionChina2019
6Full River Red4.54433 billionChina2023
7Detective Chinatown 34.52235 billionChina2022

Personally, I liked the Wandering Earth. I read the book. Very good scifi.

Please tell me those financial figures in the Billions are in Yuan, not Dollars.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

BuddyThomas

Im afraid I don’t actually. You seem rather grumpy in all your posts, yet you want to make a drinking game out of any mention I make of Burbank. But only me, no one else counts.

Im just happy to have a drinking game to play. So long as it’s after about 8pm. 😄

I just don’t know why it only works when I say “Burbank”. Drink!
Because you say Burbank in almost every post. Your must realize this, yes?

BuddyThomas

Okay finally saw this.

I loved it, as did my partner. The visuals were great, the music beautiful, and the singing fantastic.

@LittleBuford you were right, Flounder was actually quite cute.

I didn’t expect Sebastien and Scuttle to be as funny as they were, the audience was laughing throughout.

Halle is of course fabulous, just a star, but I was also really impressed by Jonah. His song was really lovely, and I absolutely loved how they fleshed out Eric. His character was a definite improvement from the original. Melissa was also good, not quite surpassing Pat, but I did enjoy her take, she was sinister and evil.

All in all, a fantastic live action version of a movie so many of us grew up with as kids. A shame the international box office isn’t coming out, definitely one of the stronger remakes they’ve done. Far more enjoyable than Aladdin and Lion King.
Now watch the original on Disney+ like I did right after I saw the new one. Whether this is sacrilege or not, I am convinced that the new one is superior to the original. The original feels like a Saturday morning cartoon with very shaky animation in many parts. This new film is so fantastic on so many levels. It is pure Disney magic.

Disney Analyst

Now watch the original on Disney+ like I did right after I saw the new one. Whether this is sacrilege or not, I am convinced that the new one is superior to the original. The original feels like a Saturday morning cartoon with very shaky animation in many parts. This new film is so fantastic on so many levels. It is pure Disney magic.

I’d be forgiving for how it looks, it is from ‘89 after all (I wasn’t even born yet 😇).

What I look for is, does the remake flesh out and improve the story, and the characters. Have they fully realized the beloved cartoon for the real world?

I think it’s a yes on all counts.

LittleBuford

I’d be forgiving for how it looks, it is from ‘89 after all (I wasn’t even born yet 😇).

What I look for is, does the remake flesh out and improve the story, and the characters. Have they fully realized the beloved cartoon for the real world?

I think it’s a yes on all counts.
I don’t think it’s an improvement on the original story; it’s just a different, expanded take.

Sharon&Susan

An interesting read:

I don't quite understand why this article is calling the Aladdin actor racist? Considering the state of the post-COVID box office, I don't see why it's the unreasonable prediction that this article is making it seem (especially when he ended up being right)?

LittleBuford

I thought it was. Eric being fleshed out as a real human, Ursula’s motivation and turmoil was crystal clear. The added parallels between Ariel and Eric’s lives.

I felt like they took what was already a great film, and made it better.
As much as I enjoyed the remake and appreciated the way it fleshed out aspects of the story, the original is in no way lacking as far as I’m concerned. It will always remain my favourite version, though it’s also the one I grew up with, so nothing can really compete with it in my eyes.

LittleBuford

I don't quite understand why this article is calling the Aladdin actor racist?
That part puzzled me too; it seems an unreasonable and unsubstantiated slur. Other than that, I thought a lot of what she said made sense.

ETA: To be fair to her, she attributes the characterisation to those responding to Massoud on Twitter, though she doesn’t seem to disagree with it.

Ghost93

I don't quite understand why this article is calling the Aladdin actor racist? Considering the state of the post-COVID box office, I don't see why it's the unreasonable prediction that this article is making it seem (especially when he ended up being right)?
I think a lot of people misread the tone of Mena Massoud's tweet. He probably shouldn't have weighed in, but he ended up not being wrong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom