Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You missed the point. The point was that the weather was nice up in the northeast (or other places) so people were going outside instead of watching movies, thus bringing box office numbers down. But people are always outside when it's nice in the summer so by that logic box office numbers would always be down in the summer. But such is not the case because kids are off in the summer, thus driving numbers up. Also, if the smog boosted box office numbers since people could not go outside, then with the 100-105 degree spells that certain states are seeing, one could presume by that same logic that those states would boost box office numbers the same way smog would. BUT in reality, everything balances each other out. Therefore, none of this explains the negative phenomenon last weekend.

@Angel Ariel ATSV is doing very well, but last weekend's drop was AWFUL and rather surprising. If The Flash had opened close to $100 mill, the drop would have at least been seen as less brutal, but with the horrendous and devastating opening of The Flash, ATSV's drop looks that much more horrible. The Flash has absolutely no chance at making $200 million and won't even make $150 million domestic. That's bonkers bad.
You’re talking to yourself.

I happened to check after 3-4 days on this thread and there are 3 more pages of tinfoil theories and excuses.

Mermaid just disappointed. It’s best now to just let it go and then…maybe see what kinds appeal there is 6 months? A year? 2 years?

Maybe that “significance” will show? It’s not in its initial run. Possible but not yet.

International flatlined. Domestic down to $1-2 ish a day. Just not a lot of people are going to see this.
And before you say “YES THEY ARE! Domestic success!!…”

About $100 mil less gross - with higher prices - in the US than minions…2!!
But Covid?!?
Nope…that was last year. More impact then, not less.

Disney needs to analyze this:

The thought being clung to here is this:

There is zero evidence or expectations of the latter…but bless you all.

And I’ll go…but what’s with this “Hallee” stuff?
She’s not everyone little sister…it’s all about the money for Disney fans until it doesn’t serve the interests and there’s a 180 pivot to the “human condition”

Nobody will remember her name in six months when she works at their Starbucks next to Daisy Ridley. Watch it play.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Bout $500 and holding pretty steady as far as legs go…

$125 million more than the total of the first that was in 2018

Passed mermaid domestically by $50 mil and the gap is growing.

It’s a hit. With a $105 mil budget.

We don’t know the “how’s” and “whys”
Its also lagging behind TLM internationally, but who's counting......

Which shows that international numbers, with only a few exceptions, for even the "hits" are soft overall.

Angel Ariel

You missed the point. The point was that the weather was nice up in the northeast (or other places) so people were going outside instead of watching movies, thus bringing box office numbers down. But people are always outside when it's nice in the summer so by that logic box office numbers would always be down in the summer. But such is not the case because kids are off in the summer, thus driving numbers up. Also, if the smog boosted box office numbers since people could not go outside, then with the 100-105 degree spells that certain states are seeing, one could presume by that same logic that those states would boost box office numbers the same way smog would. BUT in reality, everything balances each other out. Therefore, none of this explains the negative phenomenon last weekend.

@Angel Ariel ATSV is doing very well, but last weekend's drop was AWFUL and rather surprising. If The Flash had opened close to $100 mill, the drop would have at least been seen as less brutal, but with the horrendous and devastating opening of The Flash, ATSV's drop looks that much more horrible. The Flash has absolutely no chance at making $200 million and won't even make $150 million domestic. That's bonkers bad.

I’ve loved the Flash TV show, but I have no interest in seeing the flash movie. I may eventually watch it on streaming for Michael Keaton, but have no interest in paying to see Ezra Miller. I’m less surprised that’s doing poorly.

Jedijax719

You’re talking to yourself.

I happened to check after 3-4 days on this thread and there are 3 more pages of tinfoil theories and excuses.

Mermaid just disappointed. It’s best now to just let it go and then…maybe see what kinds appeal there is 6 months? A year? 2 years?

Maybe that “significance” will show? It’s not in its initial run. Possible but not yet.

International flatlined. Domestic down to $1-2 ish a day. Just not a lot of people are going to see this.
And before you say “YES THEY ARE! Domestic success!!…”

About $100 mil less gross - with higher prices - in the US than minions…2!!
But Covid?!?
Nope…that was last year. More impact then, not less.

Disney needs to analyze this:

The thought being clung to here is this:

There is zero evidence or expectations of the latter…but bless you all.

And I’ll go…but what’s with this “Hallee” stuff?
She’s not everyone little sister…it’s all about the money for Disney fans until it doesn’t serve the interests and there’s a 180 pivot to the “human condition”

Nobody will remember her name in six months when she works at their Starbucks next to Daisy Ridley. Watch it play.
Once again, what is your point exactly? What is that the "Disney needs to figure out" and needs to correct? You keep saying or implying that Disney doesn't "get it" and needs to "fix it", but you don't say what Disney needs to fix or get or how exactly they need to do it.

Jedijax719

I’ve loved the Flash TV show, but I have no interest in seeing the flash movie. I may eventually watch it on streaming for Michael Keaton, but have no interest in paying to see Ezra Miller. I’m less surprised that’s doing poorly.
Very true. Miller is toxic casting. But with the extremely soft (expected or not) opening of that movie, one might have expected a bit softer drops for ATSV and TLM. Weird weekend indeed. We'll see what happens this weekend and next.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Very true. Miller is toxic casting. But with the extremely soft (expected or not) opening of that movie, one might have expected a bit softer drops for ATSV and TLM. Weird weekend indeed. We'll see what happens this weekend and next.
The whole box office is down this week…
Next weekend is all Indy. Mermaid is effectively done…spiderverse may have a useless week or two further

Vegas Disney Fan

Those were old people. I know because I was one of them. 😉
🙋‍♂️

Guilty as well, I don’t know half the popular bands or celebrities anymore.

This is probably true for many of us here, forums are generally an older persons format and it also probably explains why we complain so much about what Disney does, we aren’t the 34-45 year old prime target demographic anymore.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Once again, what is your point exactly? What is that the "Disney needs to figure out" and needs to correct? You keep saying or implying that Disney doesn't "get it" and needs to "fix it", but you don't say what Disney needs to fix or get or how exactly they need to do it.
They’re not covering budgets on tentpoles…might want to look into that…maybe?

my point is stop looking for “reasons” why this movie may…possibly…get to $500 total. That’s not a success. Standards are what they are today.

For whatever collection of reasons - it failed. None of the theories presented here cover that. Maybe pieced together it explains SOME of the shortcoming. But at the end of the day the crowds didn’t need/want it…so Disney didn’t deliver for the balance sheet. It is what it is…and that’s what it is.

Last week the blame was hand sanitizer…before that China…before that 5 trolls in moms basement…

We’ll all be better off when the search for Spock’s excuses end

Chi84

Premium Member
So I did some research…turns out that apparently only the Grammy nominating committee ever heard her songs. Nobody else really has.

Let me know when she becomes Halle Berry…right now it hasn’t gone anywhere yet.

Good job on the $250 budget…I think hermione was a bit of a safer bet…even without Grammy nominations.
I don’t think you’re the target audience 😂

Angel Ariel

Good job on the $250 budget…I think hermione was a bit of a safer bet…even without Grammy nominations.
If only they had done Emma Watson some justice in the musical arrangements at least. But BatB songs overwhelmed her voice, sadly. Aside from that, the movie was enjoyable. But when casting a musical, the lead needs to be able to carry their part.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom