Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

MoonRakerSCM

I dunno......... yesterday I mentioned you should use the ignore function... and here we are... after ALL that time... coincidence? Tough call... but certainly looks like ya took muh advice :-D

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Please don’t accuse people who don’t understand your posts of lacking reading comprehension. Many of them are incomprehensible by design.
Please don’t lecture. I never said anything about the quality of the movie on this or any thread. My entire concern has been it’s financial lack of performance - perhaps but likely failure - and how that is a pattern for Disney that serves neither them, nor us.

Not everyone can be put in one of two “baskets”

Check the record. Or don’t. Lectures need to be focused on a real subject. This one is not.

I love you…but the lectures gotta go. To much supposition about what I think and I’m WAY more fair than I’m often judged.

But enough about me…😜

Chi84

Premium Member
Please don’t lecture. I never said anything about the quality of the movie on this or any thread. My entire concern has been it’s financial lack of performance - perhaps but likely failure - and how that is a pattern for Disney that serves neither them, nor us.

Not everyone can be put in one of two “baskets”

Check the record. Or don’t. Lectures need to be focused on a real subject. This one is not.

I love you…but the lectures gotta go. To much supposition about what I think and I’m WAY more fair than I’m often judged.

But enough about me…😜
Say what you want - no problem with that. But your posts in this thread have been insulting and argumentative. We’re talking about an entertainment company. No need to get so worked up.

TP2000

DUH. TP knows what I was talking about.

Im afraid I don’t actually. You seem rather grumpy in all your posts, yet you want to make a drinking game out of any mention I make of Burbank. But only me, no one else counts.

Im just happy to have a drinking game to play. So long as it’s after about 8pm. 😄

I just don’t know why it only works when I say “Burbank”. Drink!

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Im afraid I don’t actually. You seem rather grumpy in all your posts, yet you want to make a drinking game out of any mention I make of Burbank. But only me, no one else counts.

Im just happy to have a drinking game to play. So long as it’s after about 8pm. 😄

I just don’t know why it only works when I say “Burbank”. Drink!
8 PM? :hilarious:

Disney Analyst

Okay finally saw this.

I loved it, as did my partner. The visuals were great, the music beautiful, and the singing fantastic.

@LittleBuford you were right, Flounder was actually quite cute.

I didn’t expect Sebastien and Scuttle to be as funny as they were, the audience was laughing throughout.

Halle is of course fabulous, just a star, but I was also really impressed by Jonah. His song was really lovely, and I absolutely loved how they fleshed out Eric. His character was a definite improvement from the original. Melissa was also good, not quite surpassing Pat, but I did enjoy her take, she was sinister and evil.

All in all, a fantastic live action version of a movie so many of us grew up with as kids. A shame the international box office isn’t coming out, definitely one of the stronger remakes they’ve done. Far more enjoyable than Aladdin and Lion King.

TP2000

Correct! Chinese parks with a Disney overlay/camouflage/facade/wrap, chose your own words.

I think they thought the Chinese park deal was going to be much more lucrative company-wide than it's turned out.

Mermaid is an egregious example of that, but I can't remember any recent Disney movie doing big business in China. But honestly, look at these numbers. How is this even possible??? Do movie theaters only seat 8 people in China, or are they only charging a dime to get in?

The latest overseas box office, as of 6/19/23:

Confusing China.jpg

I highlighted Australia too, as a point of reference;

Australia - Population 26 Million, 620 Screens, Mermaid Box Office $12.1 Million
China - Population 1.4 Billion, 32,824 Screens, Mermaid Box Office $3.7 Million :eek:

Phroobar

I think they thought the Chinese park deal was going to be much more lucrative company-wide than it's turned out.

Mermaid is an egregious example of that, but I can't remember any recent Disney movie doing big business in China. But honestly, look at these numbers. How is this even possible??? Do movie theaters only seat 8 people in China, or are they only charging a dime to get in?

View attachment 725630

Australia - Population 26 Million, 620 Screens, Mermaid Box Office $12.1 Million
China - Population 1.4 Billion, 32,824 Screens, Mermaid Box Office $3.7 Million :eek:
Remember that out of that 1.4 billion population, only the top 2% can afford theater entertainment.

TP2000

Remember that out of that 1.4 billion population, only the top 2% can afford theater entertainment.

I'm sure it's not that bad, but Communist China is full of hundreds of millions of peasants living in poverty. But allegedly there's a "middle class" of 300 Million in China. 🤔

But even if only the Top 2% who could afford a movie ticket, that's still 28 Million people. A few million more than wealthy Australia (Thank you deserved to Great Britain for bringing free-market capitalism and the rule of law to foreign lands, creating wealth and social stability practically everywhere the British Navy had a home port).

China - Top 2% Population 28 Million, 32,824 Screens, Mermaid Box Office $3.7 Million

I'm not sure the Top 2% scenario makes any sense either, especially with 32,824 screens.

What's going on in all those theaters in China? Or do I even want to know? :oops:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I'm sure it's not that bad, but Communist China is full of hundreds of millions of peasants living in poverty. But allegedly there's a "middle class" of 300 Million in China. 🤔

But even if only the Top 2% who could afford a movie ticket, that's still 28 Million people. A few million more than wealthy Australia (Thank you deserved to Great Britain for bringing free-market capitalism and the rule of law to foreign lands, creating wealth and social stability practically everywhere the British Navy had a home port).

China - Top 2% Population 28 Million, 32,824 Screens, Mermaid Box Office $3.7 Million

I'm not sure the Top 2% scenario makes any sense either, especially with 32,824 screens.

What's going on in all those theaters in China? Or do I even want to know? :oops:

Its not hard to find. Its kind of split between Western blockbusters that pass the social credit criteria and indigenous patriotic diatribes that promote 维尼熊 current pure thoughts, Evil Westerners will bow to the correct thoughts and cultural superiority of the most Glorious Peoples Republic of China.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

View attachment 725630

This isn't isolated to Disney, this was Hollywood wide. For decades Hollywood bet on the Middle Kingdom to help bring in larger Box Offices globally. It wasn't until last year that Hollywood pushed back on the demands of the censors, hence less Hollywood movies being played or having a strong turnout.

TP2000

Its not hard to find. Its kind of split between Western blockbusters that pass the social credit criteria and indigenous patriotic diatribes that promote 维尼熊 current pure thoughts, Evil Westerners will bow to the correct thoughts and cultural superiority of the most Glorious Peoples Republic of China.

Fascinating stuff, thank you. :D

I just scanned that list of 143 movies, and am I right in not seeing a single Disney film on that list at all? No Marvel, no Fox, nothing at all from The Walt Disney Company. Right? Or did I miss something?

Only about a dozen of those films even sounded familiar to me as American movies. The rest were either titles in Mandarin, or just very odd or unknown titles in English.

Although I'm now seriously wondering about Chinese tastes, as they seem to be very excited about "Meg 2: The Trench"

meg-trench.png

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Fascinating stuff, thank you. :D

I just scanned that list of 143 movies, and am I right in not seeing a single Disney film on that list at all? No Marvel, no Fox, nothing at all from The Walt Disney Company. Right? Or did I miss something?

Only about a dozen of those films even sounded familiar to me as American movies. The rest were either titles in Mandarin, or just very odd or unknown titles in English.

Although I'm now seriously wondering about Chinese tastes, as they seem to be very excited about "Meg 2: The Trench"

meg-trench.png

Theres plenty of information out there on Chinese movie censorship, everything from tangential references to Xi Jinping (Weibo had fun with the Premier which was frowned on before the great firewall banned any mention of Winnie the Pooh) which blocked Christoper Robin from ever being seen inside China, to outright edits or prohibitions for anything it didn't deem as correct thought.

TP2000

Theres plenty of information out there on Chinese movie censorship, everything from tangential references to Xi Jinping (Weibo had fun with the Premier which was frowned on before the great firewall banned any mention of Winnie the Pooh) which blocked Christoper Robin from ever being seen inside China, to outright edits or prohibitions for anything it didn't deem as correct thought.

Communists have never been known for their sense of humor. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom