Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

Jedijax719

TLM will likely have lost $25-$30 million domestic due to last week's box office Armageddon. Not sure what happened to the movie industry last weekend, but everyone was hit with a devastating blow. Unlike during the holidays when a terrible blizzard could hit the entire northeast, nothing could really explain what happened last weekend. It was a complete anomaly that will cost pretty much every movie at least several million dollars. Can't blame it on the release of The Flash because that movie's opening flat out sucked!

Figgy1

Premium Member
TLM will likely have lost $25-$30 million domestic due to last week's box office Armageddon. Not sure what happened to the movie industry last weekend, but everyone was hit with a devastating blow. Unlike during the holidays when a terrible blizzard could hit the entire northeast, nothing could really explain what happened last weekend. It was a complete anomaly that will cost pretty much every movie at least several million dollars.
The weather was nice as was the air quality finally so people may have wanted to get outside for the first time in a while on the east coast

Jedijax719

The weather was nice as was the air quality finally so people may have wanted to get outside for the first time in a while on the east coast
Maybe, but I can't see how good weather has a detrimental affect on box office anywhere near how bad weather does. Doesn't really work like that.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Maybe, but I can't see how good weather has a detrimental affect on box office anywhere near how bad weather does. Doesn't really work like that.
Seeing the sky blue after being orange for several days may have. I know our local parks were packed. Last week was also a big week for graduations, confirmations, communion, dance recitals and last of spring sports in the NE. I know a few people who were running from event to event last weekend and to some extent this weekend as well

erasure fan1

While I can't say I've ever looked into weather and box office. I can say that outside of opening weekend, where I'll go see a movie that is a must see for me no matter what. I am more likely to go to the theater during bad weather. Snow, rain... If I cant be outside, I'm more likely to go to see a movie. Maybe it's just me. Lol

Jedijax719

Well if there's any truth to that, then the box office would theoretically rebound due to the inability to go outside for the next week in the south, particularly Texas, Oklahoma, etc.

erasure fan1

Well if there's any truth to that, then the box office would theoretically rebound due to the inability to go outside for the next week in the south, particularly Texas, Oklahoma, etc.
I don't know if there's any truth behind it, like I said. But I know I'm less likely to go to the theater on a nice day then on a bad day.

Angel Ariel

Seeing the sky blue after being orange for several days may have. I know our local parks were packed. Last week was also a big week for graduations, confirmations, communion, dance recitals and last of spring sports in the NE. I know a few people who were running from event to event last weekend and to some extent this weekend as well
Down here last weekend was a huge weekend for beach vacations to start, as school is finally out. Beach vacations here typically mean treks to the outer banks. When we head there it’s an all day trek due to traffic on 95S and on 12 in NC, and Sunday is all setting up the house/food shopping for the week. Movies may happen during the week depending on weather, but not weekend.

Jedijax719

But if all that were true, then NOBODY would see movies in the summer, all movies would have failed at the box office past, present, and future, and the summer would never have been a hot spot for movie releases.

Angel Ariel

But if all that were true, then NOBODY would see movies in the summer, all movies would have failed at the box office past, present, and future, and the summer would never have been a hot spot for movie releases.
I truly don’t know the answer to this, so not snarky - but I’ve gotten the impression overall in the summers since covid that summer movie releases haven’t been as strong? Is it possible that our collective experiences with the pandemic are changing movie going habits overall (not just streaming vs theatres, but winter vs summer as an example)?

Chi84

Premium Member
I truly don’t know the answer to this, so not snarky - but I’ve gotten the impression overall in the summers since covid that summer movie releases haven’t been as strong? Is it possible that our collective experiences with the pandemic are changing movie going habits overall (not just streaming vs theatres, but winter vs summer as an example)?
That’s what I see. People I know still go to see movies in theaters, but not nearly as often. It doesn’t take much in the way of a reason for them to forgo the movie theater experience.

Angel Ariel

…so now it’s too hot to watch a movie?

😳

I’m gonna go out with jugs of water and ice packs to try to resuscitate Spider-Man fans…must be rough on them 😎
No, not that it’s too hot - but that after being in lockdown and not being able to go anywhere, now that they can again people taking that and running with it.

How is spiderman doing in comparison to a similar movie and similar release time in pre-pandemic times?

Jedijax719

…so now it’s too hot to watch a movie?

😳

I’m gonna go out with jugs of water and ice packs to try to resuscitate Spider-Man fans…must be rough on them 😎
You missed the point. The point was that the weather was nice up in the northeast (or other places) so people were going outside instead of watching movies, thus bringing box office numbers down. But people are always outside when it's nice in the summer so by that logic box office numbers would always be down in the summer. But such is not the case because kids are off in the summer, thus driving numbers up. Also, if the smog boosted box office numbers since people could not go outside, then with the 100-105 degree spells that certain states are seeing, one could presume by that same logic that those states would boost box office numbers the same way smog would. BUT in reality, everything balances each other out. Therefore, none of this explains the negative phenomenon last weekend.

@Angel Ariel ATSV is doing very well, but last weekend's drop was AWFUL and rather surprising. If The Flash had opened close to $100 mill, the drop would have at least been seen as less brutal, but with the horrendous and devastating opening of The Flash, ATSV's drop looks that much more horrible. The Flash has absolutely no chance at making $200 million and won't even make $150 million domestic. That's bonkers bad.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No, not that it’s too hot - but that after being in lockdown and not being able to go anywhere, now that they can again people taking that and running with it.

How is spiderman doing in comparison to a similar movie and similar release time in pre-pandemic times?
Bout $500 and holding pretty steady as far as legs go…

$125 million more than the total of the first that was in 2018

Passed mermaid domestically by $50 mil and the gap is growing.

It’s a hit. With a $105 mil budget.

We don’t know the “how’s” and “whys”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom