Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

Californian Elitist

Maybe you aren't, but the people you keep agreeing with are.

What the other side keeps saying to you guys is "Her race doesn't matter." All that matters is if she looks like Ariel ...and she doesn't. People wouldn't like it if the Fish and Monsters of "Finding Nemo" and "Monsters Inc" appearances were changed either.

How would you like it if Sully was changed to Short and Pink and Mike was Orange and given 2 eyes?
No, that’s not what we’ve been saying. We’ve been saying as long as she plays the part well, including vocals, it’s all that matters.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
All this shows me is that our country is still very racist and is filled with unconscious bias.

Then your analysis is limited by your own biases. Some people just don't want to watch yet another version of the same story just with new actors or a new medium. I'm sure some enterprising animator would love to recreate the Lion King replacing the lions with flamingos, hyenas with bats, and Zazu with a sloth.

Its lazy,

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Maybe you aren't, but the people you keep agreeing with are.

What the other side keeps saying to you guys is "Her race doesn't matter." All that matters is if she looks like Ariel ...and she doesn't. People wouldn't like it if the Fish and Monsters of "Finding Nemo" and "Monsters Inc" appearances were changed either.

How would you like it if Sully was changed to Short and Pink and Mike was Orange and given 2 eyes?
Then address your comments to them not me.

LittleBuford

Jodi keeping it classy as always:

e89ce1a81ec0f7d31da1f99ce769faa9

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
You did say the thing about Bots. Just to make yourself feel good about the voting. Go ahead keep lying about the bots and fooling yourself.
my whole point is the numbers on a very short clip on YouTube mean nothing. When the film is actually released then we will see just how good/bad it is. But sure if you want to swing my comments to suit your narrative , fine .

LSLS

If you think the Little Mermaid backlash isn't about race, maybe spend some time looking at the comments and reactions out there.

It's pretty obvious.

If you think it's not a huge factor, I don't know what to tell you.

I'm just not sure honestly. I just can't figure out what all is in play with it. Is it just that it's such an iconic character? Or is it I didn't pay as much attention back in the day? Cause I don't remember Aquaman creating a tenth of the stir. Nor do I remember it with Nick Fury. Are comic fans just a ton more accepting? Would there be a similar backlash if they made Ariel a blonde girl? I honestly don't follow Twitter stuff at all so I don't know all of what's going on, but this just seems like such a weird one.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
If you think the Little Mermaid backlash isn't about race, maybe spend some time looking at the comments and reactions out there.

It's pretty obvious.

If you think it's not a huge factor, I don't know what to tell you.

As opposed to those who want it to be all about race. In my opinion it's about yet another remake of something that already has been beaten to death.

Friday the 13th part XXVI where teenagers make questionable judgment calls and are yet again slaughtered in different ways.

PrinceCharming617

If it seems that way to you, I suggest taking a more objective look. The live-action Cinderella, Belle, Maleficent, Aurora, and Cruella were all played by white women.

That makes no sense, the characters are supposed to be. Disney is basing them off the way they look in their own films.

I'm not saying Tiana should be changed, I'm saying keep them all the same and be true to your own version.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom