Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

DKampy

I don’t remember if I posted this or not but considering that Ursula was based on the late drag queen, Divine, I was hoping for an edgier choice than McCarthy, like Harvey Fierstein. Then some heads would truly explode. He actually already did it at the Hollywood Bowl.

Just watched it...that would of been great...Just that one song I could completely picture him as Ursula

Figgy1

I don’t remember if I posted this or not but considering that Ursula was based on the late drag queen, Divine, I was hoping for an edgier choice than McCarthy, like Harvey Fierstein. Then some heads would truly explode. He actually already did it at the Hollywood Bowl.

I was just thinking the same thing. He would have been fantastic then again he's always
Dragons Den Television GIF by CBC

BuddyThomas

That's true, the Blue Fairy, The Coachman and Stromboli are awful in the new Pinocchio. They look nothing like the Disney animated versions.
The Blue Fairy is Broadway superstar Cynthia Erivo. She is anything but awful. The rest of that movie, on the other hand, is a complete disaster.

BuddyThomas

People complain when remakes are too identical to the animated versions. Then they complain if something is different. Yikes!
Try reading the 39 page and counting complaint letter, I mean thread, about Moana and Zootopia replacing Dinoland at AK. That one is super fun…….or something.

LovePop

If the movie doesn't do well in the box office, it can be blamed on Disney+. Why go to the box office and pay $$$$ when you can watch it at home for free in a couple of months?

Goofy Ninja

The only meaningful stats are how much $ it makes after release.
If the movie doesn't do well in the box office, it can be blamed on Disney+. Why go to the box office and pay $$$$ when you can watch it at home for free in a couple of months?

Yep, we'll see how it does for that month at the box office. Before they pull it out of the theaters (because it's doing horrible) and put it on D+.

LSLS

Oh this thread is so funny. The people judging how bad this looks off of a pan through the ocean (with CGI that very well could not be done yet) and 4 seconds of singing, are you kidding? Likewise, people proclaiming this movie incredible based on partial singing of a single song? You equally are kidding.

Me personally? My initial thought is I'm not overly excited for it. Simply because the live actions I like are the ones that tell the stories differently or from a different perspective. When they tell the same story, I have my preconceived notions already on the characters, and my expectations are HIGH (maybe why Beauty and the Beast was the last one I saw that was a retelling and I hated it). It felt like this will be the case from how it was being reported on, BUT, I'm not crushing it yet either until we hear more on the story/see more than 5 seconds.

erasure fan1

Every major fairy tale has been adapted by Disney with predominantly white leads.

"Go make your own original character" after establishing every major character as white is insensitive at best.
To play devil's advocate here, why does it need to be a major fairly tale? A quick Google search turned up a bunch of African American fairly tales and folklore. There was even a story about a girl and a mermaid. Regardless of what anyone thinks of the casting for this. Shouldn't we be holding Disneys feet to the fire for not exploring the content that is available? Personally I would much rather they explore new content. Even If they found an actress that looked 100% like the Ariel in the animated movie. Guess who's still not going to see this movie? This guy. Because it's lazy and cheap what they're doing with the remakes.

The Mom

Premium Member
Any further posts that are dismissing the movie out of hand, based solely on how an actor/actress looks - not their ability to do the job - will be deleted, along with posts accusing others of racism. Posters who continue in this back and forth argument will not be allowed to participate in the discussion.

itsy bitsy spider

To play devil's advocate here, why does it need to be a major fairly tale? A quick Google search turned up a bunch of African American fairly tales and folklore. There was even a story about a girl and a mermaid. Regardless of what anyone thinks of the casting for this. Shouldn't we be holding Disneys feet to the fire for not exploring the content that is available? Personally I would much rather they explore new content. Even If they found an actress that looked 100% like the Ariel in the animated movie. Guess who's still not going to see this movie? This guy. Because it's lazy and cheap what they're doing with the remakes.

Exactly, they should have more original stuff with new looking people. Rather than just remaking old Cartoons, that have already established a certain look for the characters.

Jedijax719

Exactly, they should have more original stuff with new looking people. Rather than just remaking old Cartoons, that have already established a certain look for the characters.
We have Strange World, Elementals, and Wish coming up which are all originals. Animated films seem to be where the originality is going. And that is separate from remakes. There are departments and I am sure that the live action remakes have its own group. There is a huge market for them and thus they are continuing to be made. The well will run dry for theatrical releases for these, but they were never going to not make Little Mermaid after the incredibly successful Aladdin, BatB, and Lion King. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Meanwhile, there will always be original titles being presented and proposed. Now that D+ is a success, however, more and more originals will go there just like they are on other streaming services. Familiarity is king right now in the live action world though.

erasure fan1

The well will run dry for theatrical releases for these, but they were never going to not make Little Mermaid after the incredibly successful Aladdin, BatB, and Lion King. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I think you underestimate Disney. I have no doubt that we start to see CG versions, pixar style, once the live action versions have run their course.

GimpYancIent

Oh yeah, I think you could sell a lot of merchandise with a new Princess. A Mexican one could be awesome, because the heritage and background is so different than the European ones.
I lean in favor of native American, there is a lot of legend and lore there plus oneness with nature and the elements. Definitely different from European, middle East or far East.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom