Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

WDWmazprty

As a Scot I was correcting your statement that he was English. You also added in your own description which was never written by Fleming.
Ok.....just change my original description to Scot. My point was whatever the character was written or made to be really doesn't have to be changed.

LittleBuford

Well, since Disney never said otherwise, the original story is by Hans Christian Andersen who was Danish, so we can assume they were still keeping with the Danish origin.
The story is so far removed from Hans Christian Andersen's original tale that there is no reason to assume its setting or characters are Danish. As I said, the film's own visuals clearly locate the story in a much warmer climate, with palm trees on land and colourful coral reefs underwater. It is, above all, a fantasy in which nationality and race really don't matter.

And yes, Connery was a Scot but any people had no idea about that, because he was still from the U.K. ..either way , he looked the same.
The actors who've played Bond so far look pretty different from one another. The only thing they have in common is that they're white.

Last edited:

WDWmazprty

The story is so far removed from Hans Christian Andersen's original tale that there is no reason to assume its setting or characters are Danish. As I said, the film's own visuals clearly locate the story in a much warmer climate, with palm trees on land and colourful coral reefs underwater. It is, above all, a fantasy in which nationality and race really don't matter.

The actors who've played Bond so far look pretty different from one another. They only thing they have in common is that they're white.
🧐 ...oooook

Disney Analyst

Yeah, there is ZERO indication of locale or setting, apart from some place warm and island like.

Last edited by a moderator:

nickys

Premium Member
Ok.....just change my original description to Scot. My point was whatever the character was written or made to be really doesn't have to be changed.

You decided to use James Bond as an example. You stated categorically he was written as a white Englishman. Even now corrected, he wasn’t written as a white Scotsman either.

The character of Bond has already been changed several times. He’s been mainly played as an Englishman, contrary to what Fleming wrote. Bond’s ethnicity was never mentioned by Fleming. So if they change it again it doesn’t matter. His father was from Glencoe, his mother Swiss. That’s all we have. And even that it seems was written after Connery played him.

In any case Bond was a secret agent with the code name 007. I suspect the name James Bond would be a code name. I doubt a secret agent uses his real name anyway.

Disney Analyst

All of the Renaissance animated films have made a bunch of money so I have no doubt this one will as well. And everything going on with this one will most likely get extra butts in seats to see what all the fuss is about.

I agree.

Will it be as big as Beauty and the Beast, under the changed market for theatrical release? Maybe not.

Will it be succesful at the box office? I think so.

Vegas Disney Fan

Based on past performance for remakes of the same kind, what makes you think this will fail?

Beauty and The Beast, Aladdin, Lion King, have all had great success.

For me it’s simply that D+ exists now, unless a movie is a must see on the big screen I think people will wait to see it at home for “free”.

I don’t think this is a must see big screen movie so I think it will have a bad box office no matter how good it is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom