Disney's Live Action The Little Mermaid

KeithVH

LOL-then invest in something else.
Or, maybe, just maybe, everyone could do the job they're paid to do and create content that puts butts in seats, make money, and drive shareholder value. It's not like they don't know how to do that (altho I wonder sometimes). Or is this capitalist thinking wrong?

LittleBuford

Or, maybe, just maybe, everyone could do the job they're paid to do and create content that puts butts in seats, make money, and drive shareholder value. It's not like they don't know how to do that (altho I wonder sometimes). Or is this capitalist thinking wrong?
As I’ve pointed out before, a number of Disney’s best-loved classics failed to make a profit upon their release. I’m not saying the remake of The Little Mermaid will rank among them, but we as Disney fans should know better than to measure a film’s merits and impact solely or mainly in terms of dollars.

Disstevefan1

As I’ve pointed out before, a number of Disney’s best-loved classics failed to make a profit upon their release. I’m not saying the remake of The Little Mermaid will rank among them, but we as Disney fans should know better than to measure a film’s merits and impact solely or mainly in terms of dollars.
Agreed, TWDCs movie business is not all about the money.

TWDC's theme park business IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!

How else can TWDC pay for its movie business?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Agreed, TWDCs movie business is not all about the money.

TWDC's theme park business IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!

How else can TWDC pay for its movie business?
Disney's live action studio breaks even over time thanks to the few billion dollar tentpoles. And then there's the post-theatrical window in which more money can be made off the studio's content. So, even Disney's least profitable studio makes a profit.

DAS, Pixar, Star Wars, and Marvel all make bank in the theatrical window on average. And then more in the post-theatrical window.

The narrative that Disney's studios are collapsing is a false narrative based on hopeful schadenfreude, not data.

Disstevefan1

Disney's live action studio breaks even over time thanks to the few billion dollar tentpoles. And then there's the post-theatrical window in which more money can be made off the studio's content. So, even Disney's least profitable studio makes a profit.

DAS, Pixar, Star Wars, and Marvel all make bank in the theatrical window on average. And then more in the post-theatrical window.

The narrative that Disney's studios are collapsing is a false narrative based on hopeful schadenfreude, not data.
Never said Disney studios are collapsing, they are just allowed to be hit and miss at random (this has always been the case).

The theme parks on the other hand must not only make money but must hit targets - See the Star Cruiser.

Disney Analyst

And this is why I’ve been trying to discuss cultural impact. Disney can look at the domestic returns, and would see that there is an audience and a path to monetize further in North America.

And I do believe this film will have a bigger cultural impact than say… the Aladdin remake.

Disstevefan1

And this is why I’ve been trying to discuss cultural impact. Disney can look at the domestic returns, and would see that there is an audience and a path to monetize further in North America.

And I do believe this film will have a bigger cultural impact than say… the Aladdin remake.
Or maybe the Aladdin remake also had a cultural impact and also happened to make money and that's why no one is talking about it?

KeithVH

Never said Disney studios are collapsing, they are just allowed to be hit and miss at random (this has always been the case).

The theme parks on the other hand must not only make money but must hit targets - See the Star Cruiser.
I just wish there was a little more hit and a lot less miss . . .

Considering M&E drives the majority of company revenue, I'd still think the focus should be on success rather than "it might be good enough".

Jedijax719

Oh give it up! If you think you know what kind of content will automatically get butts in seats, then get yourself a job with a studio and see how that works out for ya! Part of capitalism is also that not everything works the way everyone had hoped.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Any after 1959?

Didn’t you hear? They shut that down about 5 years ago
Not the argument ever made. But it’s cool to invent to “counter” when they drop crap on the street

There’s no cultural impact. That creating an ambiguous thing that can’t be proven so it also can’t be proven wrong.

It failed. We should demand better things as consumers from them…it’s better for both sides.
That’s capitalism 101.

TP2000

Overseas Box Office figures from this past weekend were all tabulated and added to the tally today (except for Turkey and Romania, those slowpokes). Overseas box office is notably weaker than it should be, especially in Asia and the Middle East. But the United Kingdom and its Commonwealth nations are bright spots at least.

Domestic total is now at 255 Million, and overseas is at 212 Million, for a now flatlining total of 467 Million.

I'm still baffled at how tiny the box office tallies from Communist China are for all these mega-budget Disney films.

As of today, Mermaid has garnered just $3,73,762 in box office in Communist China. Three million, seven hundred thousand. Tell me again why Burbank spent Billions to build theme parks there to "get a foothold" in that marketplace of 1.4 Billion people. So they could make an extra 3 or 4 million per film? 🤔

Overseas.jpg

BrianLo

Again, you forget that this country has had 2+ years of high inflation.

Adjusted for inflation from the anti-inflationary year of 2019, Mermaid is not tracking close to Aladdin. It's behind by at least $100 Million.

Then factor in that Aladdin did over three times the overseas box office that Mermaid has done, and it's not even close.

The domestic box office is adjusted for inflation, but the overseas box office is not (because of dozens of different exchange rates), but even the total not adjusted for inflation puts Mermaid at less than half of Aladdin globally.

Once again, this is not sustainable. Especially when you spend $250 Million just to produce the film to begin with. :eek:

View attachment 725260

I understood your point just fine, you clearly don't understand or care about mine. It's a statement of factor. Aladdin lets us project the final domestic take for Little Mermaid, which will be about 325 million domestic. Not 225 like everyone declared last weekend or 255 like the poster I was responding to declared. 325 million in todays dollars.

That's it. It's not a round of applause of little Mermaid, it's just a here's the probable final number.

I likewise expect the final worldwide total to also be high 500's.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I understood your point just fine, you clearly don't understand or care about mine. It's a statement of factor. Aladdin lets us project the final domestic take for Little Mermaid, which will be about 325 million domestic. Not 225 like everyone declared last weekend or 255 like the poster I was responding to declared. 325 million in todays dollars.
Not gonna get there
That's it. It's not a round of applause of little Mermaid, it's just a here's the probable final number.
Not gonna get there
I likewise expect the final worldwide total to also be high 500's.
Take a guess what I’m gonna say?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom