Disney's Hollywood Studios: What's Next

culturenthrills

Fantasmic will be untouched or i swear i will never visit Hollywood Studios again. it was the no 1 reason why i even went to the park, so i can end my day magically. i think i'd literally cry if they took it out for World of Colors.

Fantasmic is in dire need of updating. DL has been updated thru the years and DHS's has become more and more of a joke. Just give it some TLC.

Clever Name

Fantasmic is in dire need of updating. DL has been updated thru the years and DHS's has become more and more of a joke. Just give it some TLC.
It would be great if they'd get down with a Hip-Hop version of Fantasmic. Mickey could do some rap and break dancing and show those punk villians who's boss!

cslafferty

Just because they use the same ride system doesn't mean it is the same ride. When will people get over that. They use that excuse for Indy. We all know it is not because Dinosaur is in AK it is because TDO is too cheap to bring one of the best attractions WDI has created in the last 20 years. DHS is in dire need of another E ticket or a couple of C and D. The one problem with the Monsters Inc door coaster is it is another low capacity ride that will have lines that are too long. DHS needs a blockbuster E ticket that will pull people to the park and would be a 1500-2000 per hour capacity. But we know this will never happen. If anyone had a brain and some balls at TDO they would be pushing for a version of Carsland at DHS or a full blown Lucas land with more Star Wars and an Indy ride. Something heavily themed, immersive and with unique merchandise that people will want. Star Wars weekends have shown that there is a demand for more Star Wars. That is what they should be doing at WDW not Avatar. Harry Potter, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings these are rare franchises that come along once in awhile that will retain their popularity for years. Disney has Star Wars and they could mint money if they could create a Star Wars land as immersive as Harry Potter. End of rant.
IMO if TDO is going to spend $$$, I want it to be on something really new - not a re-themed version of the same ride system that already exists in EPCOT. And, if we're talking a new "land" then I'd like it to be something that when people see it, they think "Disney." That's why I'm not all that excited about Avatarland. But, at least with Avatar, there are new movies coming that will keep audiences interested. I think with Star Wars and Harry Potter those series are done - they've seen their audience peak. Yes, there will be the die-hard fans (I happen to be one of them), but as far as acquiring a new fan base in the future, I don't see that happening to a very large extent - especially with Star Wars (HP, yes for a while because it's so new - but I see that dying down in a few years unless JK Rowlings changes her mind about writing new installments). But, none of those are Disney/Pixar creations, and if we're talking a whole new land at Disney World, then I want it to scream Disney! Just my opinion.

WDW1974

Since 2008, TPFKaTD-MGMS has added AIE, TSMM and ST 2.0 and a new sorta parade (no matter how bad it may be, they're tourists what do they know?) ... they've also recently replaced the Prince Caspian/Narnia walk thru with some sort of PoC deal.

In TDO terms, the Studios has been given loads of loving. With MK getting it's new, new, new, but not really Fantasyland (not really an expansion either), that park ain't going to be getting much else for years and years.

That leaves you two parks ...

RSoxNo1

Since 2008, TPFKaTD-MGMS has added AIE, TSMM and ST 2.0 and a new sorta parade (no matter how bad it may be, they're tourists what do they know?) ... they've also recently replaced the Prince Caspian/Narnia walk thru with some sort of PoC deal.

In TDO terms, the Studios has been given loads of loving. With MK getting it's new, new, new, but not really Fantasyland (not really an expansion either), that park ain't going to be getting much else for years and years.

That leaves you two parks ...
Is it safe to say that the Test Track changes are comparable in scope to the Star Tours changes? Really it's DAK that's been neglected since the 2007 enclosure of Theater in the Wild and change to the Nemo show. Since then, the additions have been Addax and Masai Giraffe on Kilimanjaro Safaris.

WDW1974

Is it safe to say that the Test Track changes are comparable in scope to the Star Tours changes? Really it's DAK that's been neglected since the 2007 enclosure of Theater in the Wild and change to the Nemo show. Since then, the additions have been Addax and Masai Giraffe on Kilimanjaro Safaris.

I know very little about the TT changes, but my gut tells me that it will be much more related to the ride system programming as well as general cleaning, new shells on the vehicles and a few smallish things show related. But I don't really know.

And DAK ... well, it's amazing how that amazing park is literally falling apart.

RSoxNo1

I know very little about the TT changes, but my gut tells me that it will be much more related to the ride system programming as well as general cleaning, new shells on the vehicles and a few smallish things show related. But I don't really know.

And DAK ... well, it's amazing how that amazing park is literally falling apart.
The concept art does indicate that substantial changes will be made to the ride itself, if that's the case then putting it on par with Star Tours isn't unreasonable. It doesn't mean that Epcot isn't in need of something else, but it's something.

I was about to ask what is falling apart in the Animal Kingdom and then I started coming up with a list of things I know about:
  • Covers on the Discovery Island/Tree of Life trails
  • Bar-Headed Geese in the Tapir exhibit on Maharajah Jungle Trek.
  • Fire effect broken/turned off in Kali
  • Broken Yeti in Expedition Everest
  • Missing effects in Expedition Everest
  • Missing effects in Dinosaur
If Avatar isn't opening until 2016-2017, they need to fast track something else in the meantime, and it needs to be something family friendly with a decent budget ($100 million). Pandas are an option, as is a dark ride in Dinoland but I'm not holding my breath.

Patricia Melton

Here are ten things I want to see happen at DHS:

1. Remove the ugly bounce house sorcerer's hat

2. Celebrate the removal of the bounce house sorcerer's hat and write it into the corporate charter that it will never, ever return.

3. Rewrite the philosophy, guiding principles, and mission statement of DHS so that there's no longer any delusion that it's a working studio and that it exists to teach guests about movies being made. Instead, let it be a "park that celebrates movies and brings them to life". There is a lot the park can do if it's mission is to make favorite movies really come alive for people. This could include having little walk-through attractions in each land showcasing artifacts from the respective movies (or have these things hung in restaurants Planet Hollywood style). Shows could all be themed to bringing the movies to life or offering the music from the movies to people in the parks. This theme could make everything coherent.

4. Great Movie Ride: plus this so that all scenes are from Disney films. There are enough of them, and it would be a lot of fun in my opinion to go through scenes from Pete's Dragon, Witch Mountain, Parent Trap, National Treasure, etc. as well as old cartoon shorts and other Disney TV/movie properties that are kind of forgotten. Some of these things will never ever get a ride of their own but maybe Great Movie Ride could be a chance to give them all a chance to shine...and for guests to rediscover them. Disney did a lot of great family entertainment in the 70s and 60s that two or three generations have never been exposed to now!

5. Muppet Land: Build the Muppet Studios and have a few rides based on them. Build a Swedish Chef restaurant that has animatronics in it and is geared towards families with kids (like a Chuck E Cheese kind of thing, with brief 15 minute dinner shows). Maybe have skeeball and other games in there for families to play. The Muppet Theater would have a fun show that is like a live version of the Muppet's TV show.

6. Carsland. Build a larger version of what was built at DCA, but this time include a Cars-themed update of Autopia/Speedway that would feature Cars characters that kids can drive. This would allow the removal of the Speedway from Tomorrowland. If guests want their small children to be able to "drive" a car, they can now go to Carsland and go car-crazy.

7. Pixar Land (adjacent to Carsland): Rides based on other Pixar films. Monster's Inc. Door Coaster. Ratatouille Dark Ride and Restaurant. Bug's Life kids play area. Toy Story coaster that's similar in intensity to the upcoming Seven Dwarves Mine Coaster. Dark Ride themed to UP that is like Peter Pan's flight (where you are suspended from the ceiling in what feels like a balloon and are floating through scenes from the movie). NOTE: Brave would not be here, as it should be reserved for Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom. Nemo should be reserved for a dark ride at Animal Kingdom in an Australia area (where Nemo would serve as the Great Barrier Reef attraction in that land of AK in the future).

8. Star Wars Land: this would have themed areas based on Tatooine (with a Mos Isley Cantina), Coruscant (where there could be a Space Mountain-esque coaster that zooms through the skyscrapers of the planet city), and maybe even a mini-Epcot type area with a Planet Showcase featuring small pavilions for a few of the Star Wars planets (Naboo, the Green Moon of Endor, Dagoba, Mon Calamari, etc. )

9. Water Ride: This is totally missing from DHS. If they're not going to use Indiana Jones in Adventureland at WDW or at Animal Kingdom, then they should make a boat ride at DHS based on Indy. How about having Indy race the boats around the canals of Venice, through the creepy catacombs, and in the bay? Like in Last Crusade?

10. Did I mention getting rid of the ugly bounce house sorcerer's hat? Don't forget about that!

JustInTime

Here are ten things I want to see happen at DHS:

1. Remove the ugly bounce house sorcerer's hat

2. Celebrate the removal of the bounce house sorcerer's hat and write it into the corporate charter that it will never, ever return.

3. Rewrite the philosophy, guiding principles, and mission statement of DHS so that there's no longer any delusion that it's a working studio and that it exists to teach guests about movies being made. Instead, let it be a "park that celebrates movies and brings them to life". There is a lot the park can do if it's mission is to make favorite movies really come alive for people. This could include having little walk-through attractions in each land showcasing artifacts from the respective movies (or have these things hung in restaurants Planet Hollywood style). Shows could all be themed to bringing the movies to life or offering the music from the movies to people in the parks. This theme could make everything coherent.

4. Great Movie Ride: plus this so that all scenes are from Disney films. There are enough of them, and it would be a lot of fun in my opinion to go through scenes from Pete's Dragon, Witch Mountain, Parent Trap, National Treasure, etc. as well as old cartoon shorts and other Disney TV/movie properties that are kind of forgotten. Some of these things will never ever get a ride of their own but maybe Great Movie Ride could be a chance to give them all a chance to shine...and for guests to rediscover them. Disney did a lot of great family entertainment in the 70s and 60s that two or three generations have never been exposed to now!

5. Muppet Land: Build the Muppet Studios and have a few rides based on them. Build a Swedish Chef restaurant that has animatronics in it and is geared towards families with kids (like a Chuck E Cheese kind of thing, with brief 15 minute dinner shows). Maybe have skeeball and other games in there for families to play. The Muppet Theater would have a fun show that is like a live version of the Muppet's TV show.

6. Carsland. Build a larger version of what was built at DCA, but this time include a Cars-themed update of Autopia/Speedway that would feature Cars characters that kids can drive. This would allow the removal of the Speedway from Tomorrowland. If guests want their small children to be able to "drive" a car, they can now go to Carsland and go car-crazy.

7. Pixar Land (adjacent to Carsland): Rides based on other Pixar films. Monster's Inc. Door Coaster. Ratatouille Dark Ride and Restaurant. Bug's Life kids play area. Toy Story coaster that's similar in intensity to the upcoming Seven Dwarves Mine Coaster. Dark Ride themed to UP that is like Peter Pan's flight (where you are suspended from the ceiling in what feels like a balloon and are floating through scenes from the movie). NOTE: Brave would not be here, as it should be reserved for Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom. Nemo should be reserved for a dark ride at Animal Kingdom in an Australia area (where Nemo would serve as the Great Barrier Reef attraction in that land of AK in the future).

8. Star Wars Land: this would have themed areas based on Tatooine (with a Mos Isley Cantina), Coruscant (where there could be a Space Mountain-esque coaster that zooms through the skyscrapers of the planet city), and maybe even a mini-Epcot type area with a Planet Showcase featuring small pavilions for a few of the Star Wars planets (Naboo, the Green Moon of Endor, Dagoba, Mon Calamari, etc. )

9. Water Ride: This is totally missing from DHS. If they're not going to use Indiana Jones in Adventureland at WDW or at Animal Kingdom, then they should make a boat ride at DHS based on Indy. How about having Indy race the boats around the canals of Venice, through the creepy catacombs, and in the bay? Like in Last Crusade?

I like everything here except for the Great Movie Ride idea.

See, DHS isn't supposed to be themed around just Disney films. It's supposed to be reflective of old Hollywood in general. GMR does that really well. Making that ride 100% Disney would be a tragic loss of detail. It would be a theme killer. No doubt it could use updating, but I love the scenes.

10. Did I mention getting rid of the ugly bounce house sorcerer's hat? Don't forget about that!

Patricia Melton

Hey Justin --

I know that currently the Great Movie Ride is not just Disney material, but in rethinking the theme of the park, I think the focus should be on Disney Hollywood Studios bringing "Disney movies to life". Universal Studios has Marilyn and Charlie Chaplin and those guys walking around in the park. So I think the Great Movie Ride just feels odd having Casablanca and Alien and other movies in it that are not Disney. I just see a chance to use this attraction to really showcase Disney's great movies from the past...and introduce them to new generations.

Even though Indy and Star Wars are not Disney movies, Disney owns the rights to them in the parks and they feel right in their own lands. But I'd love to see The Great Movie ride really showcase the best of Disney movies in the heart of DHS. It would be more special to me if it did that.

Patricia Melton

I actually just saw on another thread an idea to move the Speedway to EPCOT...and the theming would be a race around the world.

I think this is GENIUS.

I also think the Cars characters should be used for this new "Grand Prix" race...and that little kids would get to feel like they are driving cars on a race through all the different countries. There could be miniatures of world landmarks so it would be quasi-educational too.

This would be perfect if paired with Test Track so that grown-ups could have that and little kids would have the Grand Prix and it fits with the World Showcase theming of EPCOT too. Countries not included in the showcase could be featured in drive-bys in the Grand Prix (Greece, Egypt, Botswana, Argentina, etc.). There are so many opportunities afforded by this.

Cars 2 was a let down (not even my nephew liked it, and he LOVES the first Cars but he said Cars 2 is boring) but the race-around-the-world idea would be terrific.

djlaosc

After seeing that Singing in the Rain is coming out on Blu Ray, I thought that a kiosk or shop at the end of The Great Movie Ride should feature DVD and BLu Ray copies of all of the movies represented. I have no idea what be required for licensing rights, but I think this would be a cool merchandise opportunity.

Similar thing - I was looking for some CDs from American Idol contestants that I wanted to buy while I was on holiday (they don't really get released in the UK). Used to get all my 'holiday' CDs at Virgin Megastore at DTD (now gone), and we were walking past "American Idol Experience" and thought I would have a look and see if they had any American Idol contestant CDs (it would make sense for them to have them) - I think, out of all the American Idol contestants to release CDS, I think there were two different CDs available (neither the ones I wanted - had to buy them from fye in Mall at Millenia). You would think that they would have a stand/shop that would have lots of the CDs of past contestants available!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Test Track could almost be comparable to a ST2.Very welcome it will be too. That just leaves half of SSE, Energy, Wonders, Imagination, a proper Seas, IDF...

Beholder

It's such an obvious thing that the gift shop at the end of an attraction would sell things that actually have something to do with the attraction. Perhaps licensing, copywrite issues, marketing rights or something like that is the problem, but I tend to think that a general lack of care is the issue.

Generally speaking, I tend to believe people would appreciate attraction based merchandise. You come out of the attraction, you're still excited about the experience, sometimes you impulse buy. Riding Space Mnt doesn't exactly inspire me to buy a plush Tigger.

djlaosc

It's such an obvious thing that the gift shop at the end of an attraction would sell things that actually have something to do with the attraction. Perhaps licensing, copywrite issues, marketing rights or something like that is the problem, but I tend to think that a general lack of care is the issue.

Generally speaking, I tend to believe people would appreciate attraction based merchandise. You come out of the attraction, you're still excited about the experience, sometimes you impulse buy. Riding Space Mnt doesn't exactly inspire me to buy a plush Tigger.

Attraction Specific Merchandise is a problem that I have for all of the main parks in Florida (MK/E/DHS/DAK/USF/IOA/SWO/BGTB).

I collect pins of the attractions that we do while we're there, and although there are some attractions that don't have pins available for them in WDW, finding attraction specific pins is really difficult to do in Universal/SeaWorld/Busch Gardens - you wouldn't think it would be that difficult for them to have one pin per attraction that you could buy in a shop near the attraction.

Another thing I wanted was small, postcard-sized posters of the big retro posters that you could buy at WDW - couldn't find them anywhere - smallest would have probably been A4 or larger! Even the print your own posters couldn't even print in postcard-size.

RSoxNo1

Similar thing - I was looking for some CDs from American Idol contestants that I wanted to buy while I was on holiday (they don't really get released in the UK). Used to get all my 'holiday' CDs at Virgin Megastore at DTD (now gone), and we were walking past "American Idol Experience" and thought I would have a look and see if they had any American Idol contestant CDs (it would make sense for them to have them) - I think, out of all the American Idol contestants to release CDS, I think there were two different CDs available (neither the ones I wanted - had to buy them from fye in Mall at Millenia). You would think that they would have a stand/shop that would have lots of the CDs of past contestants available!
Yes, exact same concept - if the attraction is going to stay in the park, the music should be there.

djlaosc

Yes, exact same concept - if the attraction is going to stay in the park, the music should be there.

I understand them not having all contestants' music - some will be from different record labels - but you would think that the ones that have been signed by the creators of the show would be wanting to have their music available at the attraction (and you would think that it would have been included in the contract).

I'm trying to think who's albums they had - I'm thinking it was Taylor Hicks and possibly Clay Aiken (who were not the artists I was looking for! ;) )

RSoxNo1

I understand them not having all contestants' music - some will be from different record labels - but you would think that the ones that have been signed by the creators of the show would be wanting to have their music available at the attraction (and you would think that it would have been included in the contract).

I'm trying to think who's albums they had - I'm thinking it was Taylor Hicks and possibly Clay Aiken (who were not the artists I was looking for! ;) )
Well, wouldn't they be able to at least sell the albums in the singers' original contract that was the prize for winning American Idol?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom