Disney's Hollywood Studios likely to become Disney Hollywood Studios

Timekeeper

Pure speculation: it may have to do with copyrighting/trademarking, etc. Names like Animal Kingdom and Saratoga Springs may be too generic to copyright/register. However, if the official title starts with a "Disney's," it becomes much more specific.

A generic mark can be protected by trademark law if it has acquired secondary meaning. McDonalds, for example, is a simple name (generic) mark but has acquired such a strong secondary meaning as a source identifier for that business product that it is now one of the strongest (most protected) marks in the world.

Without a discussion as to where on the Abercrombie scale of trademarks the various Disney marks fall, it is sufficient to say that Disney is such a strong driving force in the market that, with its popularity, it wouldn't take long for seemingly generic term to become associated almost exclusively with Disney. There are lots of "haunted mansions" in this country, but when you hear the words "haunted mansion," you probably think of the Disney ride. Trademarks operate in a similar fashion.

With respect to the "Disney's" discussion, here's some info just for fun:

Word Mark DISNEY'S ANIMAL KINGDOM
Goods and Services IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: amusement park services. FIRST USE: 1998 04 22. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 1998 04 22
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 75043212
Filing Date January 16, 1996
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition April 8, 1997
Registration Number 2189638
Registration Date September 15, 1998
Owner (REGISTRANT) DISNEY ENTERPRISES, INC. CORPORATION DELAWARE 500 SOUTH BUENA VISTA STREET BURBANK CALIFORNIA 91521
Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Attorney of Record BARBARA QUINN
Type of Mark SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR). SECTION 8(10-YR) 20080331.
Renewal 1ST RENEWAL 20080331
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Master Gracey 5

If they focused on the attractions in the park as much as they do trivial things like naming then they would actually have resources to apply to things like fixing the Yeti. That would just make too much sense.

PurpleDragon

I'm sorry, but it just sounds dumb to me. If you want to remove the posessive, don't say Disney in the name, just say California Adventure and have the Disney up there just to let people know what it is.

That's what it looks like they are doing to me.

prberk

By the way, I could be wrong, but I just don't see this change trickling down to WDW. Pretty much every road sign on property would have to be replaced, along with every directory, guidemap, resort map, ticket media and a host of other collateral. It'd be a huge and unnecessary expense.

Since when has that ever stopped a Disney marketing executive with the latest and greatest idea?

dxwwf3

I can just see the suits all coming together thinking this is the best idea they have ever came up with. It's hilarious how stupid all of this is.

Thanks for reminding me Martin, that last sentence should have been: It hilarious how stupid all of this is. There much better.

dxwwf3

All of the money that would be wasted in changing the names on everything for such a stupid reason, in this economy mind you, would have to be one of the dumbest decisions ever made by Disney management.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Intentional ignoring of grammar and spelling rules drives me absolutely insane. :mad: Something like "Disney California Adventure" just makes it sound as though I can't speak English properly. Thankfully the acronym doesn't change. :lol:

PurpleDragon

Intentional ignoring of grammar and spelling rules drives me absolutely insane. :mad: Something like "Disney California Adventure" just makes it sound as though I can't speak English properly. Thankfully the acronym doesn't change. :lol:

"Me like Disney California Adventure!! It fun!!"

ROFLMAO!!!!:ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Kamikaze

It should be 'Walt Disney's X'

Walt Disney's California Adventure
Walt Disney's Animal Kingdom
Walt Disney's Hollywood Studios
etc

Missymoe4

Ya know, maybe this is why the t-shirt I bought in May said "Disney Beauty and the Beast." :brick:

I was upset when I got home and saw the 's missing (I also have a BA in English, which upset me even more that the 's was missing).

I thought is was a huge mistake, and even thought about contacting Disney over their poor proof job.

But maybe it wasn't a mistake after all?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Perhaps they should consider cutting the pointless marketing and branding expenditure and spend it on care and maintenance and new ride creation, then the guests that are supposedly swayed by this marketing bull would miraculously appear anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom