Disney's Hollywood Studios likely to become Disney Hollywood Studios

mp2bill

Actually, I disagree with all of you...it makes perfect sense to me. While the grammar is incorrect, why haven't you all been complaining that it is "Walt Disney World" instead of "Walt Disney's World" then? Seems like they are just going back to the roots of their original theme park naming. It was Disneyland and Disney World, not Disney's Land or Disney's World.

I'm not saying that they're intentionally slapping him in the face, but you can be so nearsighted on an issue (changing the name for synergy) that you forget your roots. Why not change everything to "Disney's" (implying Walt Disney's) instead of "Disney" (the company) if their concern is synergy?

For the exact same reason that Pete C stated:

I think we're going back and forth here on something that we agree upon, but something's just not getting through. I guess the overriding point that most people are making is, "Why change something 20 years later (DHS) to create cohesiveness in something that most people don't even notice."

I seems like a lot of wasted money (maybe that money could go towards fixing the Yeti on EE) for something that most people don't even care about until it's brought up in one of these forums. I doubt many people look at something that says "Disney's Hollywood Studios" and say, "Hey! That's improper grammar," or "I'm not visiting because the name isn't synergistic to the rest of the Disney/Disney's property."

RSoxNo1

Now this may have been going on for a while, but while at Disneyland last week, I heard on several occasions, "Walt Disney's original Magic Kingdom" in reference to the Disneyland park.

TP2000

Now this may have been going on for a while, but while at Disneyland last week, I heard on several occasions, "Walt Disney's original Magic Kingdom" in reference to the Disneyland park.

They've been saying that for decades at Disneyland. The word "original" slipped in during the 1970's after WDW opened. But the phrase "enjoy the rest of your day at Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom" is used by Disneyland CM's all the time as you disembark boats and trains and shows and such. A lot of times they add the word "original" in there too.

Where do you think they got the name for the Magic Kingdom park in '71? It's because that had been Disneyland's well-used nickname for 15 years already. :wave:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

I guess Al Lutz was wandering the park that day.... :rolleyes:

TP2000

I guess Al Lutz was wandering the park that day.... :rolleyes:

I think this curiosity about Disneyland CM's calling the park Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom is a cultural difference between the coasts. Disneyland has been nicknamed the Magic Kingdom since the 1950's

tvZ2NKZNki095fc.jpg

And since the park was purchased, planned, designed and operated quite literally by Walt Disney, it is his park. It's a possesive apostrophe 's', totally unrelated to any cheesy 21st century marketing ploy by people sitting in Burbank cubicles.

It's been a part of Disneyland CM's spiels and public announcements for decades. Five and a half decades, to be exact. :lol:

WDWFigment

I won't cast stones because I know I've gotten worked up over less, but I just don't see how this is a big deal. I also find it funny how a couple of years ago people said "I'll always call it MGM" when the first name change occurred, and already there has been a significant enough shift (for some) that they'll always call it Disney's Hollywood Studios.

For what it's worth, there is nothing grammatically incorrect about the potential new name.

mp2bill

...since the park was purchased, planned, designed and operated quite literally by Walt Disney, it is his park. It's a possesive apostrophe 's', totally unrelated to any cheesy 21st century marketing ploy by people sitting in Burbank cubicles.

Exactly! :hammer:

_Scar

Maybe the 'S' fell off on the Studio's main sign and they decided not to replace the letter and keep it as "DISNEY' HOLLYWOOD STUDIO" with the ' to keep fans on their toes with room for expansion.

TP2000

It's already obvious that it's disney's animal kingdom, california adventure, etc. So why not just call it what it is. They don't call it disney's magic kingdom, disney's epcot, or disney's disneyland.

They used to call it Walt Disney's Disneyland quite a bit in the 1950's and 60's. Here he is in in his park on the fire truck on Main Street USA, signing autographs.

1968_guidetodisneyland.jpg

That's also where the tagline that Disneyland CM's still use comes from; Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom.

It's his park, after all. Heck, he's still got an apartment there with the lights on. :lol:

_Scar

I think it will help relaunch the park from a promotional aspect, which is where it really needs it.

LOL

Changing it from Disney's to Disney is a change big enough to relauch the part in promotion...?

:lookaroun

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

And we're overanalyzing?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom