Disney's Hollywood Studios likely to become Disney Hollywood Studios

Timekeeper

Disney has been one for visual consistency, sometimes at the expense of grammar. Just look at the countdown chart in Primeval Whirl: 5 Seconds, 4 Seconds, 3 Seconds, 2 Seconds, 1 Seconds... really guys? :brick: Lest we not forget that the visual representation of the Disney marks are viewed worldwide, so English grammar can often take a back seat.

Wilt Dasney

I'm more upset over the font they used for "California". It's cheap and generic looking. It litterally could've been done on MS Word. They could and should do much better...
The font is actually modified from the title cards of the old Mickey/Donald/Goofy cartoons. I think it's supposed to represent the park's turn toward a more nostalgic and more explicitly "Disney" identity.

comics101

The font is actually modified from the title cards of the old Mickey/Donald/Goofy cartoons. I think it's supposed to represent the park's turn toward a more nostalgic and more explicitly "Disney" identity.

Ahh. I see it now lol. Yeah, maybe it's not so bad then... I still feel the logo could use a little more umph, maybe the could put a starburst in the back ground or something... idk.

lazyboy97o

It should be 'Walt Disney's X'

Walt Disney's California Adventure
Walt Disney's Animal Kingdom
Walt Disney's Hollywood Studios
etc
The Walt Disney's title should be reserved for products from when Walt Disney was alive.

Actually, I disagree with all of you...it makes perfect sense to me. While the grammar is incorrect, why haven't you all been complaining that it is "Walt Disney World" instead of "Walt Disney's World" then? Seems like they are just going back to the roots of their original theme park naming. It was Disneyland and Disney World, not Disney's Land or Disney's World.
That was not a Disney created naming convention; it is the proper grammar. They are a land and a world named after Disney. Just like Maryland or Swaziland. There are no general concepts of a Hollywood Studios or an Animal Kingdom or a California Adventure that are being named for Disney. A studio or company general ideas and thus you get Walt Disney Studios or Ford Motor Company. Ĥ

Wilt Dasney

The Walt Disney's title should be reserved for products from when Walt Disney was alive.
Definitely agree. Walt had nothing whatsoever to do with DAK, DCA, the confused Studios park, etc. I think putting his name on those things would look fake...like implying he personally endorses them.

Walt 1901

Let's face it that the name Walt Disney doesnt have the same pull or meaning it did 40 or even 30 years ago. There are a lot of kids and young adults who don't even know who Walt Disney is. They associate the brand Disney with the company not a person. So to say Disney's California Adventure as if Walt approved of it does not mean what it once did.

Lucky

Let's face it that the name Walt Disney doesnt have the same pull or meaning it did 40 or even 30 years ago. There are a lot of kids and young adults who don't even know who Walt Disney is. They associate the brand Disney with the company not a person. So to say Disney's California Adventure as if Walt approved of it does not mean what it once did.
Well, maybe Roy Disney likes it.

AndyMagic

That was not a Disney created naming convention; it is the proper grammar. They are a land and a world named after Disney. Just like Maryland or Swaziland. There are no general concepts of a Hollywood Studios or an Animal Kingdom or a California Adventure that are being named for Disney. A studio or company general ideas and thus you get Walt Disney Studios or Ford Motor Company. Ĥ

Well said! It is common practice to have just the name without an apostrophe preceding "land" or "world" or "mansion" or "estate" for example but you can't just drop the possessive from everything. Yes, we say Vanderbilt Estates and Rockefeller Plaza but we don't say Rob Smith Desk because that is FOOLISH. I see no reason for Disney to bother with this. I noticed a couple of months ago that they have been doing this for their films too. In a recent trailer I saw, "DISNEY PRINCE OF PERSIA," pop up at the end. It's absolutely ridiculous looking.

durangojim

I actually think that the name Disneyland will be changed to just "land" and Walt Disney World will be called "world". Supposedly that makes it much more hip with certain crowds.

Wilt Dasney

If they're trying to "detach" the company name from the property names and make it more of an unspoken brand, I think something like this would make more sense.

Picture45.png

sponono88

I think folks are a wee bit overreacting here.

Yes. They removed an apostrophe and an "S" -- pretty minor change. And for the record, nobody even refers to the park by its full name. Almost everyone calls it either California Adventure, or DCA.. this doesn't really change anything.

_Scar

Yes. They removed an apostrophe and an "S" -- pretty minor change. And for the record, nobody even refers to the park by its full name. Almost everyone calls it either California Adventure, or DCA.. this doesn't really change anything.

So why change it then?

It's SO stupid and it doesn't even make sense!

Little things like this make you wonder why the people in charge are in the position they're in! :mad:

disneysroyal411

Wow, just because they took out a " 's " doesn't mean you have to say it that way. Disney(<- eh no apostrophe there, lol) is about making the experience your own. So just because the company has labeled something differently, doesn't mean you have to call it that. Please think about that.

comics101

So why change it then?

It's SO stupid and it doesn't even make sense!

Little things like this make you wonder why the people in charge are in the position they're in! :mad:

That's kinda a good point. If they did decide to change the names of parks in WDW, how much money do you think it's gonna cost to change all the signage and everything? It's kinda silly to do all that over something as unimportant over an "'s"...

imagineer boy

That's kinda a good point. If they did decide to change the names of parks in WDW, how much money do you think it's gonna cost to change all the signage and everything? It's kinda silly to do all that over something as unimportant over an "'s"...

Agreed completely, I really wonder why management is spending money over such pointless things such as this. And to be honest, I find names like Disney California Adventure is just unsayable. Its like saying "A Elephant."

PuertoRekinSam

It's no different then the offical name of the Flordia project.

Go back and watch any of the old VHS tapes you bought in the 80s and 90s. The old Christmas one is the best where the young girl (maybe 9 or 10) is writing a letter and you can hear the words she's writing "The Walt Disney World Resort" What child (or adult for that matter) call's it "The Walt Disney World Resort" I can only assume the (R) is silient.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom