Disneyland's Summer Nightastic!! Starts June 12, 2009

Nicole220

EPIC!:D It's 12:04 here...:lol: What time do the Fireworks start?
Sorry...I lost internet connection/my battery was going/I was walking around Disneyland.

They started at 9:25.

'Kay...here we go.

It was okay. It's no Remember, and I don't think anything can live up to that. But it's a cute little show.

What I liked:
-There wasn't any cheesy narration/kids singing.
-Dumbo! He was cool. When he first appeared, he was facing the audience straight on, and I thought that's how he was going to be the entire time, which would've been awkward. But he does move around, even though it's limited. His trunk and little feet move. So cute.
-The new soundtrack. We've had Wishes for forever, it seems. :lol: I think I read that the Magical song is from Tokyo? I don't know. But it was new to me! Eden was a nice fit. She has a great voice!
-The pink/blue fight between Merryweather and Flora (I think?).
-The new shells. They were pretty darn big!

What I didn't like:
-The character voices were off. No biggie, they just sounded weird.
-Eden's take on Baby Mine. It didn't fit and wasn't soft enough. I dunno how to explain it. :lol:
-The lack of pyro. There wasn't a lot, to be honest.
-This show didn't give me goosebumps or make me all teary eyed. I thought I'd for sure cry during Baby Mine. It just didn't hit me emotionally....I wasn't moved. And Steven said this was going to be the biggest finale ever...er, I was expecting mass 'splosions. We got a group of fireworks going off, castle pyro, and confetti. It wasn't as big as he made it sound like.

I think everyone should still see it and give it a chance. I mean, when will you ever see Dumbo fly around the castle? It's very...Magical. :lookaroun

I'm looking for video and can't find any. :( I'm sure it'll be up soon.

On another note, something was going on with Fantasmic. There was activity on the island, sound rooms were on, lights up. While walking out, a bunch of cameras were going by. One was on a huge crane!

edit: audio found here- http://micechat.com/forums/disneyla...-entire-show-audio-listen.html#post1055371145

Another note, the crowd seemed to like it. Especially the Dumbo segment. The cheering in the middle is when Dumbo came out.

EPCOT Explorer

Sorry...I lost internet connection/my battery was going/I was walking around Disneyland.

They started at 9:25.

'Kay...here we go.

It was okay. It's no Remember, and I don't think anything can live up to that. But it's a cute little show.

What I liked:
-There wasn't any cheesy narration/kids singing.
-Dumbo! He was cool. When he first appeared, he was facing the audience straight on, and I thought that's how he was going to be the entire time, which would've been awkward. But he does move around, even though it's limited. His trunk and little feet move. So cute.
-The new soundtrack. We've had Wishes for forever, it seems. :lol: I think I read that the Magical song is from Tokyo? I don't know. But it was new to me! Eden was a nice fit. She has a great voice!
-The pink/blue fight between Merryweather and Flora (I think?).
-The new shells. They were pretty darn big!

What I didn't like:
-The character voices were off. No biggie, they just sounded weird.
-Eden's take on Baby Mine. It didn't fit and wasn't soft enough. I dunno how to explain it. :lol:
-The lack of pyro. There wasn't a lot, to be honest.
-This show didn't give me goosebumps or make me all teary eyed. I thought I'd for sure cry during Baby Mine. It just didn't hit me emotionally....I wasn't moved. And Steven said this was going to be the biggest finale ever...er, I was expecting mass 'splosions. We got a group of fireworks going off, castle pyro, and confetti. It wasn't as big as he made it sound like.

I think everyone should still see it and give it a chance. I mean, when will you ever see Dumbo fly around the castle? It's very...Magical. :lookaroun

I'm looking for video and can't find any. :( I'm sure it'll be up soon.

On another note, something was going on with Fantasmic. There was activity on the island, sound rooms were on, lights up. While walking out, a bunch of cameras were going by. One was on a huge crane!

edit: audio found here- http://micechat.com/forums/disneyla...-entire-show-audio-listen.html#post1055371145

Another note, the crowd seemed to like it. Especially the Dumbo segment. The cheering in the middle is when Dumbo came out.
WOOO! Glad you got to see it!:D:sohappy:

Yeah, the Magical song is from Tokyo and 1993. Then EPCOT in 1994.

The show sounds nice...I didn't expect it to be as big as Remember (It's huge!!) but I hope there is more pyro from what you describe.

Glad the soundtrack is nice...:D

Dumbo sounds epic as well...How did he interact with Tink flying around too? Does it get repetitive to see the both of them?

Thanks for your report, Nicole!:sohappy:

EPCOT Explorer

AH!:D:D Just saw the show!

Some thoughts:
In random order...
  • REALLY, really nice music. It works very well, is sublte at times, loud at others. Very happy how the pyro synchs up.
  • Castle Spotlights are very nice. I miss the lasers of RDCT, but these are nice too. They remind me of HKDL's show.
  • Pyro shells are HUGEEEE! Sheesh. The only thing wrong with the pyro itself is the absesnce of the in park launches. But then again, that's why this show was created, to get rid of them. Remember... really spoiled us with them. I was very happy to see that they were used en mase near the end.
  • DUMBO FTW! :lol: That gave me goosebumps. VERY well done. Wish we got to see him some more. I hope the use him after the summer in RDCT. He's great!
  • Mary Poppins section and the color battle were easily the best parts of the show save for the finale (which was pretty huge) Weakest part? The begining. If you would have shown me that alone, I would have been upset. Very boring opener. They need to hook you! However the show gets muuuuuch better.
So...Nice job, DL!:D I would LOVE to see this...(in person):eek:

EPCOT Explorer

Laughing Place is reporting that not all pyro was used last night.:D Good news if you ask me...Hope the missing pyro is for all those hit points in the beginning.

Nicole220

Laughing Place is reporting that not all pyro was used last night.:D Good news if you ask me...Hope the missing pyro is for all those hit points in the beginning.
Oh sweet!

See, if this is true, then things CAN change between the preview period and opening night. A lot of people were saying that what we saw last night is what we get. We shall see on opening night!

steener618

I thought it was a really good show and I liked what I saw. Good to see a fresh new show at DL. However, I do think more pyro could be used.

(Now if we can just hope that we get see all of Celebrate America this year, that would be even better...)

TP2000

I saw the show last night from the Plaza Gardens dancefloor. I will reserve judgement on the amount of pyro as it didn't seem quite finished to me, at least the opening segment, but I can say the following are things I really liked or were impressive:

Dumbo! Wow, that was cool. I was expecting the Dumbo thing to be some cheesy looking stuffed animal up on the wire. But then he flew out and I thought "Geez, that really is Dumbo up there!". Very cool effect! Very well done!

The music. It was very well orchestrated and mixed. Had a nice blend of emotions, and it sounded fresh and 21st century but at the same time seemed timeless and a tribute to the old 20th century classic shows.

The pyro shells. Lots of new shells and very vibrant colors. It didn't help that we had typical late spring beach fog and low clouds last night, which dull the sky and dull any fireworks show. In OC it's called "June Gloom". When the sky is dry and clear, as it will be this summer, the colors and size of the new shells will really pop.

Timing. They had the timing down on the shells and lights and low level pyro seemingly perfect. That's impressive for a dress rehearsal like this. That air launch system has really paid off for them over the past five years.

Confetti. What a clever and fun way to end a fireworks show. You could tell the crowd wasn't expecting it, and they light it up with blacklights and it really sparkles and looks very shimmery as it flutters around. Fun effect!

EPCOT Explorer

I saw the show last night from the Plaza Gardens dancefloor. I will reserve judgement on the amount of pyro as it didn't seem quite finished to me, at least the opening segment, but I can say the following are things I really liked or were impressive:

Dumbo! Wow, that was cool. I was expecting the Dumbo thing to be some cheesy looking stuffed animal up on the wire. But then he flew out and I thought "Geez, that really is Dumbo up there!". Very cool effect! Very well done!

The music. It was very well orchestrated and mixed. Had a nice blend of emotions, and it sounded fresh and 21st century but at the same time seemed timeless and a tribute to the old 20th century classic shows.

The pyro shells. Lots of new shells and very vibrant colors. It didn't help that we had typical late spring beach fog and low clouds last night, which dull the sky and dull any fireworks show. In OC it's called "June Gloom". When the sky is dry and clear, as it will be this summer, the colors and size of the new shells will really pop.

Timing. They had the timing down on the shells and lights and low level pyro seemingly perfect. That's impressive for a dress rehearsal like this. That air launch system has really paid off for them over the past five years.

Confetti. What a clever and fun way to end a fireworks show. You could tell the crowd wasn't expecting it, and they light it up with blacklights and it really sparkles and looks very shimmery as it flutters around. Fun effect!
None of the vids I'm seeing have the confetti effect, but it sounds VERY cool.

Must be a mess, but another thing I want for WDW.:lol:

nemofinder22

None of the vids I'm seeing have the confetti effect, but it sounds VERY cool.

Must be a mess, but another thing I want for WDW.:lol:

The very end of the video steener618 posted you can kinda see it. A better look at it in this video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxf1VAfiYnA

I really cant wait to see it in person mainly for Dumbo. Great use of the tech now hopefully they can incorporate something in to Believe for the holidays.

TP2000

The OC Register newspaper has a great 3:30 minute video article up of the opening night for Magical. The video is done by profesionals and looks a bit better than the ameteur YouTube videos done by fans.

It just has sections of the show, with emphasis on the Dumbo flight. You also get a good idea of what the confetti looks like at the end. Overall a really good summary of the new show in video.

Check it out here on the OC Register website, after the commercial for the San Diego Zoo, of course! :lol: http://www.ocregister.com/video/index.php?bcpid=1127694947&bclid=1334447366&bctid=25265987001

TP2000

Thursday night was a Grad Nite and Disneyland closed at 9PM, so no fireworks. Tonight is a regular Friday and Disneyland is open until Midnight now every night through the end of summer (except for the three remaining Grad Nites).

With the continual Midnight closing times, there should be Magical soft openings tonight, Saturday night, and all nights except Grad Nites until the official start of Nightastic! on June 12th.

Expect more reports online tonight around 9:45PM Pacific time.

EPCOT Explorer

Thursday night was a Grad Nite and Disneyland closed at 9PM, so no fireworks. Tonight is a regular Friday and Disneyland is open until Midnight now every night through the end of summer (except for the three remaining Grad Nites).

With the continual Midnight closing times, there should be Magical soft openings tonight, Saturday night, and all nights except Grad Nites until the official start of Nightastic! on June 12th.

Expect more reports online tonight around 9:45PM Pacific time.

So 12:45 for me.:brick::lol:

I'll be up.:lookaroun:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom