Disneyland's Summer Nightastic!! Starts June 12, 2009

kap91

After seeing the new dragon, I kind of have mixed feelings.

While the new fire breathing effect, and head exploding thing are great I can't help but feel that this dragon sort of feels faker then the original. It has a big old body that doesn't move with an amazing head and neck. I kind of prefer the old one. It was more theatrical, more massive, and the entire thing moved. This new one in a still shot would look great but as a moving object I can't help but think that it reminds me of the old Ursula barge, or the crocodile both of which look kind of plastic. As an example just look at the wings of the dragon. The old ones reached across the stage and really flapped in multiple places etc. The new ones barely exist and just lift up and down a bit. The old dragon was often criticized as being a head on a stick. I personally never really agreed with this sentiment but kind of understood it. The new dragon though I feel is infinitely more a head on a stick than the old one. It's a really sophisticated head and neck (that admittedly is much nicer than the old one) on top of a big plastic-looking sculpture.

Now don't get me wrong, I still think the new dragon is great-especially the new fire effect. I just think I preferred the old one more. I can't think of a better way to describe it then that the old one was just more theatrical. Kudos to the imagineers though this beast is an amazing feat.

sponono88

Original Poster
After seeing the new dragon, I kind of have mixed feelings.

While the new fire breathing effect, and head exploding thing are great I can't help but feel that this dragon sort of feels faker then the original. It has a big old body that doesn't move with an amazing head and neck. I kind of prefer the old one. It was more theatrical, more massive, and the entire thing moved. This new one in a still shot would look great but as a moving object I can't help but think that it reminds me of the old Ursula barge, or the crocodile both of which look kind of plastic. As an example just look at the wings of the dragon. The old ones reached across the stage and really flapped in multiple places etc. The new ones barely exist and just lift up and down a bit. The old dragon was often criticized as being a head on a stick. I personally never really agreed with this sentiment but kind of understood it. The new dragon though I feel is infinitely more a head on a stick than the old one. It's a really sophisticated head and neck (that admittedly is much nicer than the old one) on top of a big plastic-looking sculpture.

Now don't get me wrong, I still think the new dragon is great-especially the new fire effect. I just think I preferred the old one more. I can't think of a better way to describe it then that the old one was just more theatrical. Kudos to the imagineers though this beast is an amazing feat.

faker than the original? I know what you're trying to say about the theatrical aspect of Bucky, but the effect only worked from certain angles. Anyone viewing from the sides was able to see the giant crane and machinery - it wasn't impressive to see. not to mention the shredded pieces of fabric which made it look really cheap.. the old dragon wasn't really massive at all - the best way I can describe the wings is - black curtains cleverly draped between giant poles. the wings were big because that's really all the dragon was - wings and a head.

the heavy amounts of fog were used to hide the inner workings of the dragon. on many occasions the fog wouldn't work properly and it would destroy the illusion. it wasn't reliable at all, especially on windy days.

Murphy's body does have very slight movements - the body can sway to the side. nothing major, but it's some movement. add to that the blinking/color changing eyes, slithering tongue, smoking nostrils, enhance fire-breathing effects. and because it has a full body, it looks good from all angles.

nemofinder22

Gota love the coverage DLR gets nothing ever goes unnoticed. The dragon didnt go down in time for the finale a few nights ago, if you sit in the center the water screens do a pretty good job hiding it but from the sides like with the old dragon provide another view.

Different finale with a lot of things cut but its great that theres a back up plan that dosn't cut the show short.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwnGH9Jn2HE

Also this weekend is the last weekend for Magical as Halloween Screams-A Villainous Surprise in the Skies starts on Sept 25 through Nov 1. Believe... In Holiday Magic returns on Nov 13 to Jan 3.

After that I dont think its known what firework show will take over.

nemofinder22

Also this weekend is the last weekend for Magical as Halloween Screams-A Villainous Surprise in the Skies starts on Sept 25 through Nov 1. Believe... In Holiday Magic returns on Nov 13 to Jan 3.

After that I dont think its known what firework show will take over.

Just a bump :) last night of Magical, as theres no showings of fireworks till Halloween Screams-A Villainous Surprise in the Skies starts on Fri, Sept 25.

nemofinder22

Can't wait!:D

Me too! Im not sure whats better to look forward to Ghost Galaxy or Halloween Screams, both have a lot going for them.

Ghost Galaxy will be the 2nd layover to Space although its a 2 week change over compared to Rockin was an overnight change.

And DL is finally getting a Halloween firework show and how can you not love more flying characters!

magicmaya

Me too! Im not sure whats better to look forward to Ghost Galaxy or Halloween Screams, both have a lot going for them.

Ghost Galaxy will be the 2nd layover to Space although its a 2 week change over compared to Rockin was an overnight change.

And DL is finally getting a Halloween firework show and how can you not love more flying characters!

I wonder what the projections would look like on the 2nd lift hill :D

sponono88

Original Poster
well.. until Disney decides to release Magical on CD this is the only way to listen to (a portion) of the official soundtrack

Magical (Finale) :sohappy: @ gregorysmithmusic.com

http://www.gregorysmithmusic.com/themeparks.php

Btw.. according to a recent blog I read, Magical was confirmed to be the official summer fireworks show for DL - it was announced at the D23 expo :wave:

EPCOT Explorer

well.. until Disney decides to release Magical on CD this is the only way to listen to (a portion) of the official soundtrack

Magical (Finale) :sohappy: @ gregorysmithmusic.com

http://www.gregorysmithmusic.com/themeparks.php

Btw.. according to a recent blog I read, Magical was confirmed to be the official summer fireworks show for DL - it was announced at the D23 expo :wave:
So, when will RDCT be back? Spring?

sponono88

Original Poster
Really? which blog? Personally I was hoping for a 55th themed one.

I'm pretty sure it was a Mouseinfo article.. they asked one of the imagineers at the expo press conference and apparently they said Magical was coming back next summer. i'll try to look for the link

So, when will RDCT be back? Spring?

hm I don't know.. my guess is it will probably be back after the holiday season has ended. january maybe? If Magical comes back for the summer, that leaves an open slot between january-june.

EPCOT Explorer

I'm pretty sure it was a Mouseinfo article.. they asked one of the imagineers at the expo press conference and apparently they said Magical was coming back next summer. i'll try to look for the link

hm I don't know.. my guess is it will probably be back after the holiday season has ended. january maybe? If Magical comes back for the summer, that leaves an open slot between january-june.

JUNE. :D

Good. I need to go in June of 2013, then, for graduation, to see RDCT. :D Good. There. I have a plan.:lol::sohappy::lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom