DisneylandForward

PiratesMansion

Definitely possible. Still just seems like a lot of parking for essentially the same resort with 2-3 more lands in the "short term." Of course it depends how they roll these lands out and how ambitious it all ends up but to me 17,000 spots seems like they re going to be marketing it as a third gate. Unless they get rid of some existing parking for more theme park space but that seems a bit far fetched.
The third gate possibility honestly makes the most sense, even if there are no other signs that the resort is super interested in building one in the short term.

I do remember that when there was more frequent discussion/rumors/updates about the possibility of the third gate, the shortage of parking spaces was discussed as one of the biggest reasons they didn't feel like they could move forward with another park.

fgmnt

also the up to 3 pedestrian bridges ocnnecting the new parking with the resort.....where would the 3 bridges go?
I could swear an image exists in this thread or on this board that gives you an idea, but the company owns and/or has options on some of the skinny plots on the east side of Harbor. That will manifest into the Harbor crossings.

I wonder if they will modify the security perimeter to orient at the parking decks. I am imagining pretty much every surface spot on the west side of the resort is toast. Will buses feed through the Eastern gateway as well? Not a whole lot of land but if you want those 2 or 3 acres to ever be park development, you gotta grab it now.

fgmnt

“The DisneylandForward proposal calls for Disney to pay $40 million for portions of Magic Way, Clementine Street, Gene Autry Way and Hotel Way to clear the way for the proposed theme park expansion”
I found this part interesting and intriguin.
Hmm, that is really interesting. Magic is in the northwest area of the resort. Clementine is right up against I-5. Don’t really see how Hotel or Gene Autry factor but am eminently curious.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
“The DisneylandForward proposal calls for Disney to pay $40 million for portions of Magic Way, Clementine Street, Gene Autry Way and Hotel Way to clear the way for the proposed theme park expansion”
I found this part interesting and intriguin.
Those make sense as they are the streets that are within the areas covered by DisneylandForward. The only one that doesn't make sense is Hotel Way, unless somehow they are doing something for the City for the convention center.

the.dreamfinder

I could swear an image exists in this thread or on this board that gives you an idea, but the company owns and/or has options on some of the skinny plots on the east side of Harbor. That will manifest into the Harbor crossings.
So far, they only have one, the former Carousel Inn on Harbor. It’s now used for parking. That was going to be the location for the pedestrian bridge over harbor on the Eastern Gateway project.

Highlighted in yellow.
1706059128637.png

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Hmm, that is really interesting. Magic is in the northwest area of the resort. Clementine is right up against I-5. Don’t really see how Hotel or Gene Autry factor but am eminently curious.
Gene Autry is on the backside of Toy Story Lot, which is proposed as a new shopping district. I assume its to allow Disney to control the traffic in that area and make it specific to only a Disney right-of-way.

Hotel Way is the only real unknown at this point.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
17,000 more parking spots? Would a few more single IP lands brought in phases bring in that kind of demand? I don’t know, maybe a third gate is in the works? Would they ever knock down Pixar Place/ Mickey n Friends for more theme park space?
When Darkbeer was still around he always said that DLR was short parking even after they built the new Pumbaa structure. So maybe this is to take care of all that at one time, as I assume it means they knock down the USCIS building (which wasn't included in the original plan) and build a new huge structure.

Plus not to mention that all 17k might not be for guests. Some of that might also be for CMs.

mickEblu

When Darkbeer was still around he always said that DLR was short parking even after they built the new Pumbaa structure. So maybe this is to take care of all that at one time, as I assume it means they knock down the USCIS building (which wasn't included in the original plan) and build a new huge structure.

Plus not to mention that all 17k might not be for guests. Some of that might also be for CMs.

Yeah maybe. I just haven’t had an issue parking in years. Ever since Pixar Pals I guess.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yeah maybe. I just haven’t had an issue parking in years. Ever since Pixar Pals I guess.
Yeah for now because there is nothing going on. But remember that part of this is the removal of all the Toy Story parking and all of the current Pumbaa surface lot parking. So all that has to be replaced plus room for growth. And with the proposed new shopping district and theme park extensions it'll bring more guests and cars.

And like I mentioned not all of those are likely slated for guest, some are likely for CMs too. Especially since some of the Pumbaa and Toy Story lots are currently used for CMs.

So don't think of it as 17k in addition to what is already there. Think of it as 17k replacing some of what is being taken away and adding some for growth.

mickEblu

Yeah for now because there is nothing going on. But remember that part of this is the removal of all the Toy Story parking and all of the current Pumbaa surface lot parking. So all that has to be replaced plus room for growth. And with the proposed new shopping district and theme park extensions it'll bring more guests and cars.

And like I mentioned not all of those are likely slated for guest, some are likely for CMs too. Especially since some of the Pumbaa and Toy Story lots are currently used for CMs.

So don't think of it as 17k in addition to what is already there. Think of it as 17k replacing some of what is being taken away and adding some for growth.

That’s a good point. The Toy Story parking lot won’t be a parking lot anymore. How many parking spots does the Toy Story parking lot have?

Anyway, with land being at such a premium it seems odd that they wouldn’t want to market the new park additions as a third gate. Adding a few lands over years won’t nearly move the needle in the same way.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That’s a good point. The Toy Story parking lot won’t be a parking lot anymore. How many parking spots does the Toy Story parking lot have?

I believe in the recent expansion Toy Story has now ~5400 guest parking plus whatever CM parking. Add that to the original proposed Pumbaa structure of ~6800, and you got 12.2k spots. Add in whatever CM spots also have to be replaced and add for growth, and you got the remaining ~4800 spots.

So it makes sense why they would do all 17k now as part of the project, even if its not all used right away.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Anyway, with land being at such a premium it seems odd that they wouldn’t want to market the new park additions as a third gate. Adding a few lands over years won’t nearly move the needle in the same way.
I think they are trying to thread the needle here with the community. Adding a 3rd gate might sound good to us fans, but maybe not to Anaheim residents who think Disney is already too big and would complain. Easier to sell park expansion to the existing parks rather than a whole new theme park. "No, no this is not us adding a new theme park, its just expanding what is already there.....". Its a fine line I know but it makes a difference when you're selling. Not to mention that it sounds better to the City that you're investing for many years rather than just one single new gate.

Anyways, remember this is just to get approval for rezoning. They could theoretically still do a 3rd gate out of the new land expansion if they choose.

fgmnt

The structure will take over the CM lot + the plan deletes almost all surface lots west of DTD I think, so the net spots could be as low as half that.

J4546

So far, they only have one, the former Carousel Inn on Harbor. It’s now used for parking. That was going to be the location for the pedestrian bridge over harbor on the Eastern Gateway project.

Highlighted in yellow.
View attachment 764654
yeah i knew about that pathway but it says up to 3, where would they go? Also imagine how cool it would be if disney acquired those hotels along harbour just north and south of the pedestrian bridge and demod them, building wonderfully immersive and themed hotel experience with direct pedestrian pathway access on each side

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The structure will take over the CM lot + the plan deletes almost all surface lots west of DTD I think, so the net spots could be as low as half that.
Yep, I figure its only like ~2K spot gain at most but probably more likely only a couple hundred when all said and done. They are basically consolidating everything to the three structures of M&F, Pixar, and now Pumbaa.

fgmnt

Other way to look at it: the parks are already pretty much on top of each other but a third gate would necessitate additional infrastructure to get off the ground: additional guest services buildings and ticket booths taking up real estate. They already sell a park hopper option on tickets. I also think it more sustainable in terms of capital investment and return on investment over time to stagger any new development. This is the last bit of unimproved, contiguous land they will have to develop on this century, maybe ever.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
yeah i knew about that pathway but it says up to 3, where would they go? Also imagine how cool it would be if disney acquired those hotels along harbour just north and south of the pedestrian bridge and demod them, building wonderfully immersive and themed hotel experience with direct pedestrian pathway access on each side
I would imagine the other two are for foot traffic over Disneyland Dr for the park expansion, each coming out of their respective parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom