DisneylandForward

mickEblu

Agreed.

Tony Baxter (paging @Figments Friend at her convenience to correct any inaccuracies here) originally designed Indiana Jones Adventure to do just such a thing. The warehouse ride building would have been pushed even further into the park over the berm, and the Disneyland Railroad and the Jungle Cruise boats would have been inside the ride building with the jeeps around the rope bridge scene. With a separate runaway ore cart roller coaster thrown in for good measure.

Mr. Baxter is a genius at his craft, and I fear we'll never see another like him.

The possibilities to do something similar with a new monorail system in a new Tomorrowland Discoveryland expansion are endless and could really be fantastic.

Spot These Four Rides: 1. Disneyland Railroad 2. Jungle Cruise 3. Indiana Jones Adventure 4. Runaway Ore Cart Coaster

a371b6dbbf7fb9b37a34adb2962cb296.jpg

This would have been incredible!

Purduevian

Agreed.

Tony Baxter (paging @Figments Friend at her convenience to correct any inaccuracies here) originally designed Indiana Jones Adventure to do just such a thing. The warehouse ride building would have been pushed even further into the park over the berm, and the Disneyland Railroad and the Jungle Cruise boats would have been inside the ride building with the jeeps around the rope bridge scene. With a separate runaway ore cart roller coaster thrown in for good measure.

Mr. Baxter is a genius at his craft, and I fear we'll never see another like him.

The possibilities to do something similar with a new monorail system in a new Tomorrowland Discoveryland expansion are endless and could really be fantastic.

Spot These Four Rides: 1. Disneyland Railroad 2. Jungle Cruise 3. Indiana Jones Adventure 4. Runaway Ore Cart Coaster

I'm trying to think if Disney has actually built 2 rides with overlapping rides sharing a show space.
The DLR and WDW RR both peak into Splash (RIP).
The WDW people mover peaks into multiple rides
I know thunder Mesa was planned to share a boat ride and rollercoaster, but was never built.

Figments Friend

I'm trying to think if Disney has actually built 2 rides with overlapping rides sharing a show space.
The DLR and WDW RR both peak into Splash (RIP).
The WDW people mover peaks into multiple rides
I know thunder Mesa was planned to share a boat ride and rollercoaster, but was never built.

Star Tours originally had the Disneyland PeopleMover run along the upper side of the main queue area.
Guests could look down at the Star Speeder as C3P0 and R2 did their pre show antics.
There was also for a time a custom narration for Guests riding the PeopleMover as it approached and passed the scene.

🙂

-

Figments Friend

Agreed.

That’s my boy!
😘

Tony Baxter is an absolute GENIUS…and the people who used to work with him were the perfect team.
God I miss the ‘real Disney’ and WED/WDI.

I love that man, and what he embodies.
Truly a one off never to be matched.
❤️

-

TP2000

Star Tours originally had the Disneyland PeopleMover run along the upper side of the main queue area.
Guests could look down at the Star Speeder as C3P0 and R2 did their pre show antics.
There was also for a time a custom narration for Guests riding the PeopleMover as it approached and passed the scene.

🙂

-

The PeopleMover first made that trip through the Star Tours queue when it was the Monsanto pre-show and queue area, plus a second appearance above the ride's unload area and Monsanto post-show exhibit space.

390ee-jbwefkjnfew54615.png

And the PeopleMover from 1967-1973 also ran through the Carousel of Progress post-show area upstairs, along the backside of the Progress City model and the display areas for General Electric appliances and home goods.

There was also a section of PeopleMover track that traveled through the upstairs pre-show of the Bell System pavilion and looked down into the CircleVision lobby.

The PeopleMover sure got around, didn't it? ;)

Consumer

May not have been much of a show scene, but the Skyway Buckets did pass through the Matterhorn.
View attachment 746865

View attachment 746866
That rock work looks like crumpled paper bags.
Probably not too far off. My favorite is the very natural looking X in the middle of this photo-

View attachment 746889
The Abominable Snowman was definitely an improvement over the papier-mâché ice caverns.

TP2000

That rock work looks like crumpled paper bags.

I thought the same thing. It looks like something created by a high school drama department for a school play.

We need another gallon of Mod Podge!

Looking at that single bobsled, this photo was taken prior to 1978 when they added the Abominable Snowman, doubled the capacity with double sleds, and dramatically plussed up the interior of the mountain aside from the Snowman appearances. The Skyway buckets are post 1963, and that lowrise office building along I-5 has been built already (and it's still there, I think it's now a correspondence business college). While looking at the hairdo's and sleeveless summer blouses of the ladies in the bobsled, I would guess this photo was taken roughly 1963-1966.

Disneyland in the 1960's could be surprisingly cheesy. Charming, but cheesy to our modern eyes.

EDIT: I just realized that New Tomorrowland hasn't been built yet in the far background, so definitely mid 60's.

Last edited:

truecoat

There was a meeting yesterday, laughing place has comments on twitter about what was discussed, and the public feedback session.

But this concept art was released yesterday:

The first pic is from the entrance on Disney Way but the second is from 5 looking south with the West Coast University building in the foreground. It looks like the parking structure takes up the same footprint as the original.

Last edited:

TP2000

There was a meeting yesterday, laughing place has comments on twitter about what was discussed, and the public feedback session.

But this concept art was released yesterday:

So how is this "new" proposal...

event-recap-disneylandforward-environmental-review-6.jpeg

...any different than the original Eastern Gateway plans of 2015?

This new structure looks even more bland and generic than the original Eastern Gateway artwork eight years ago...

gateway1280.jpg

TP2000

A woman stood up during Public Comments and said this rather naive statement...

“Anaheim was here decades before Disney came around,” said one woman. “We are not a company town. If Disneyland truly intended to give back to the residents, they would have already done it.”

Who wants to tell her that she actually does live in a company town? And without Disneyland in 1955 those orange groves along Katella would have been turned into cheaply built tract housing and a couple of strip malls by 1960, just like the rest of north-central Orange County circa 1952-1962. Fast forward to 2023 without Disneyland, and central Anaheim would simply be Stanton with closer freeway access.

Here's Katella Avenue just 1 and a half miles east of the "Resort District". This is what Anaheim would be all over without Disney.

Visit Anaheim - The Glamourous Gateway To Stanton!
Gateway To Stanton.jpg

But I chuckle at the thought of using that line in other company towns where one company employs tens of thousands of people in a small city or large town. Such as...

Dearborn, Michigan founded 1824. Henry Ford built his first factory there in 1917, Ford now employs 48,000 people there.

Everett, Washington founded 1893. Boeing built its first factory there in 1967, Boeing now employs 42,000 people there.

Anaheim, California founded 1857. Walt Disney built Disneyland there in 1955, Disneyland now employs 35,000 people.

But sure dear Anaheim lady citizen, you somehow don't live in a company town. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom