DisneylandForward

lazyboy97o

Either they really have no idea what they're going to do with this land yet (likely), or they are too cheap to invest any more money into the concept until they actually know what they might do with the land in the 2030's (even more likely).

All of that points to this DisneylandForward thing being a plan in unfunded infancy that will take decades to play out. Sit back and relax kids, this is gonna take awhile...
Are you just now figuring this out? This whole thing is about general zoning permission, not a specific plan. But I’m guessing you know that and are just complaining with the hope that nobody realizes the hypocrisy of saying that Disney spends too much while calling for them to spend money on art with no actual purpose.

TP2000

Yeah, I actually think I’m pretty optimistic about theme park borders going west of Disneyland Drive if this plan comes to pass, but there is a zero percent chance those borders expand operationally before like 2033.

I think that's the healthiest outlook. Yes, I do think that eventually, if they get this zoning approval, they will expand both parks westward across Disneyland Drive.

But will it be something that opens later this decade? Very doubtful. Almost impossible at this point, really.

Will it open a decade from now in the early/mid 2030's? More likely, yet still not a guarantee.

By 2040? Sure, I can go with that.

I'll just need to make arrangements to have my head frozen so I can still throw out snarky comments about it in the early 2040's. And at least by then, skintight pants will come back in style for Josh D'Amaro's run for California senator.

But I’m guessing you know that and are just complaining with the hope that nobody realizes the hypocrisy of saying that Disney spends too much while calling for them to spend money on art with no actual purpose.

It's a shame they no longer have artists and designers on staff to update their vague art from 2021. Are they really that invested in this DisneylandForward concept after all? Emotionally, if not financially?

As I said earlier, I can't wait for the three new artist renderings they come up with for VISA D23: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

It's a shame they no longer have artists and designers on staff to update their vague art from 2021. Are they really that invested in this DisneylandForward concept after all? Emotionally, if not financially?

As I said earlier, I can't wait for the three new artist renderings they come up with for VISA D23: The Ultimate Disney Fan Event.
You’re full of it. If they kept releasing new art you’d absolutely be complaining about how they were spending so much money making art pieces for nothing. Disneyland Forward is a non-specific land use concept. That’s it. The whole purpose is permission to build what they want, where they want, when they want.

TP2000

You’re full of it.

Usually the gentleman has bought me a drink and complimented me a few times before he tries that saucy line.

Where were you earlier this evening when I needed you? :(

The whole purpose is permission to build what they want, where they want, when they want.

Exactly. They could build Flamingo Crossing West there in 2034, with a CVS a Chipotle and a Ramada, and still get the zoning benefits from Anaheim. And 10 bucks says the vague DisneylandForward artwork would still be used in a WDI coffee table book.

Although I doubt they'd waste that property on that type of development, but then look at some of their other decisions for the Anaheim property over the past 30 years and realize anything is possible from TDA.

I just want to let some of the younger, less experienced folks here know that none of this is guaranteed. There might be 8 new E Tickets in four new lands on this property by 2031, there might be only 2 new E tickets and 3,000 DVC units on this property in 2036, or there might be 8,000 DVC units, a breakfast buffet themed to Frozen VI, and the Resort's seventh Starbucks on this property in 2038.

Other than that, my only minor quibble on this latest PR push is...

The vague, hazy concept art that someone saved the file of back in 2021 isn't helping their case. They need new art if they want to sell this as something that's actually real and happening. The locals aren't that stupid. ;)

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Huh? 🧐 That's not actually a rule or law that any company has to obey.

Disney can release any updated concept art they want to. But they chose not to for their latest 2024 dog and pony shows for the locals, and instead just recycled the old and very vague concept art they first rolled out in 2021. Three years ago.

Either they really have no idea what they're going to do with this land yet (likely), or they are too cheap to invest any more money into the concept until they actually know what they might do with the land in the 2030's (even more likely).

All of that points to this DisneylandForward thing being a plan in unfunded infancy that will take decades to play out. Sit back and relax kids, this is gonna take awhile...
Why would you think they would release any new concept art with more detailed plans if it hasn't been approved yet? That make absolutely no sense at all. They are using the same vague concept art to sell the project because they want to make sure their messaging is consistent until its approved, ie this is potentially what we can do if given the opportunity.

Also there is no indication at all that Disney doesn't have more concrete plans on what they will do once approved. I'm sure they have many ideas on the various things they want to do, maybe even with new concept art. But again why release any of it until its approved. Especially if the whole idea is that this project is meant to be for the next decade and beyond.

Either way once approved I don't think its going to take very long before we start hearing on the initial phases of the project with more concrete details.

Well, they already planned it out, although they spent the money on it for the Pixar structure instead. But it's mostly ready to go, they just can redo it slightly to abandon any 2010's plans to include Anaheim's cancelled plans for rail mass transit to the facility, and hopefully beef up the area dedicated to Ubers and Lyfts.

Although hopefully they spend more money on the skybridges and design than they originally were going to back in the 2010's, because their initial plans and designs were cheap and ugly. Did they learn that lesson, I hope? 🤔
My guess is the parking structure and the bridge over Harbor will be phase one whenever they get approval in May. And that it'll be announced before the end of the year with a starting date for construction.

TP2000

TP has become fixated on a new canard, time to distract him...

The extremely wise YouTube algorithm already beat you by two days on that one. It's spooky how it recommends this stuff to so many of us all at the same time, isn't it?!?

And when that 4K image showed up on my 100 inch screen, I honestly thought the third lady was Johnathan Winters in drag doing a bit on the Cher show. Then I read the title that it was actually just Kate Smith, and I died laughing. 🤣

My guess is the parking structure and the bridge over Harbor will be phase one whenever they get approval in May. And that it'll be announced before the end of the year with a starting date for construction.

Exactly my point. When Disney makes their next Official Announcements On Resort Expansion!, we all need to sit back and wait for six months and see what happens. TDA now has a growing list of Official Announcements! under its belt of major expansions and projects they've announced, then cancelled and forgotten.

Anything that Sidekick Tightpants might mention or show Hazy Concept Art 2.0 of at D23 this summer related to the DisneylandForward property west of Disneyland Drive needs to be taken with a tablespoon of salt and an extreme dose of skepticism.

And remember how excited we all were when TDA released this planning image below for their Official Annoucement!, showing a rerouted monorail track and expansion land for DCA to the north of HollywoodLand?

We were all so young and naive back then to believe them, weren't we? 😢

Expansionland!.jpg

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

With any of this stuff I'll believe it when it happens.
Same, I think we’ll see plans for new garages, new security areas, pedestrian bridges, a couple new hotels, a couple new DVC towers, and a DTD expansion within a years or 2 of approval, I’d be shocked to see any park expansion before 2030 though, and maybe even 2040.

To me this is all about convincing the public to approve the zoning change, you do that by promising park expansion and new rides, not by promising new hotels and shopping.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Exactly my point. When Disney makes their next Official Announcements On Resort Expansion!, we all need to sit back and wait for six months and see what happens. TDA now has a growing list of Official Announcements! under its belt of major expansions and projects they've announced, then cancelled and forgotten.

Anything that Sidekick Tightpants might mention or show Hazy Concept Art 2.0 of at D23 this summer related to the DisneylandForward property west of Disneyland Drive needs to be taken with a tablespoon of salt and an extreme dose of skepticism.

Well you have enough skepticism layered in snark for everyone here. So the rest of us can view things with a bit more optimism.

But lets get this out of the way.... Any discussion about announced or rumored projects always are viewed through a grain of salt lens as we all know Disney cancels projects all the time. So there is no reason for you to try to stamp down any optimistic discussion about said projects. Just let the discussions fly uninterrupted and if they get cancelled so be it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Same, I think we’ll see plans for new garages, new security areas, pedestrian bridges, a couple new hotels, a couple new DVC towers, and a DTD expansion within a years or 2 of approval, I’d be shocked to see any park expansion before 2030 though, and maybe even 2040.
I agree, Phase one is likely going to be the Pumbaa parking structure, Harbor Bridge, and hopefully a new security screening area. As everything else is going to be dependent on that being completed. So I wouldn't be surprised to see that start by 2025 and finished by 2027/2028.

To me this is all about convincing the public to approve the zoning change, you do that by promising park expansion and new rides, not by promising new hotels and shopping.
Yes that is what DisneylandForward is all about, this is known. Its not a real project with timelines. But that doesn't mean they don't have real projects ready to go when things get approved, I suspect they do.

TP2000

Agreed. And whatever park expansion that is included in DisneylandForward property will be stretched out over at least 15 years, and more likely several decades. This is property that will take them into the 2040's for both parks, likely using IP and theme concepts that haven't been invented yet and won't hit theaters and Disney+ until the 2030's or later.

I just think it's important to remember that this is where Disneyland and DCA will be expanding in stages through the 2030's and 2040's, and not all at once by the Summer Olympics in 2028. And there's no guarantee that big chunks of this area won't be given over to stucco DVC towers instead of lavish new E Tickets and theme park frivolity.

Also agreed. I just hope the locals are smart enough to realize that at these schmoozy public shows that TDA is now doing, and I imagine they are. The bigger question is... Are the elected officials in Anaheim City Hall as smart as the average Anaheim taxpayer?

Let's hope so, but the political scandals in Anaheim circa 2019-2023 aren't a good sign of that. Does the FBI still have a white van parked out in front of Anaheim City Hall? Did TDA's Director of Government Relations, Ms. Carrie Nocella, finally get her FBI subpoena, or are the Feds still investigating her? 🤔

Vegas Disney Fan

Also agreed. I just hope the locals are smart enough to realize that at these schmoozy public shows that TDA is now doing, and I imagine they are. The bigger question is... Are the elected officials in Anaheim City Hall as smart as the average Anaheim taxpayer?
When we were in Anaheim a few weeks ago we decided to go bourbon hunting and from what we saw Anaheim desperately needs the additional tax revenue. Within a mile or 2 west of Disneyland we decided not to leave the safety of our car at several of the map suggested liquor stores, we quickly made a rule not to stop at any store with bars on the windows or sketchy looking people milling around outside.

I’ve seen the occasional homeless person near DL but it was a bit of an eye opener, outside the entertainment district Anaheim was pretty rundown.

Anaheim hills to the east was beautiful though.

TP2000

When we were in Anaheim a few weeks ago we decided to go bourbon hunting and from what we saw Anaheim desperately needs the additional tax revenue. Within a mile or 2 west of Disneyland we decided not to leave the safety of our car at several of the map suggested liquor stores, we quickly made a rule not to stop at any store with bars on the windows or sketchy looking people milling around outside.

I’ve seen the occasional homeless person near DL but it was a bit of an eye opener, outside the entertainment district Anaheim was pretty rundown.

Anaheim hills to the east was beautiful though.

It has definitely taken a turn for the worse in the past five years. Parts of OC aren't nearly as bad as LA County is nowadays, but the overall trajectory statewide and in OC is not going upwards.

When I moved from California, it honestly took me six months of culture shock to realize homeless encampments and drug dens on sidewalks were not supposed to be normal. Most of America doesn't live like this.

IMG_0533.JPG

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It has definitely taken a turn for the worse in the past five years. Parts of OC aren't nearly as bad as LA County is nowadays, but the overall trajectory statewide and in OC is not going upwards.

When I moved from California, it honestly took me six months of culture shock to realize homeless encampments and drug dens on sidewalks were not supposed to be normal. Most of America doesn't live like this.

View attachment 765041
This is not the thread for this, but you do realize that ~83% of the US lives in urban areas that have similar issues. And its even found that as much as 7% of the homelessness in the US occurs within rural areas as well. So its not limited to just the big metro areas or even California. Its a nationwide issue that we as a nation should try to tackle, instead of just saying its one particular state or another.

PiratesMansion

This is not the thread for this, but you do realize that ~83% of the US lives in urban areas that have similar issues. And its even found that as much as 7% of the homelessness in the US occurs within rural areas as well. So its not limited to just the big metro areas or even California. Its a nationwide issue that we as a nation should try to tackle, instead of just saying its one particular state or another.
Can vouch for the fact that I live in a mid-sized town in the middle of the midwest, and I see homeless people basically every time I go down my main drag.

People like to pretend it's only California or the "left coast" or whatever, but it's everywhere and seems to be increasing.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Can vouch for the fact that I live in a mid-sized town in the middle of the midwest, and I see homeless people basically every time I go down my main drag.

People like to pretend it's only California or the "left coast" or whatever, but it's everywhere and seems to be increasing.
Exactly, its not just a California thing. California just happens to be one of the most populous states in the nation so of course its more widely seen, but its happening everywhere across this great nation. And as the greatest and richest nation on the planet we should be able to do something about it, but that requires political will, something that is lacking these days....

TP2000

Didn’t mean to start a homeless discussion, I was just pointing out Anaheim could certainly benefit from the extra income that would come from more hotel room taxes, construction, jobs, etc.

A very unaware man once said...

“It's as if somehow we should feel fortunate that Walt Disney chose Anaheim,” -Dr. Jose Moreno, Anaheim City Councilman

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You don't get out much, do you? And if you do, you go to Portland or Seattle, right? 🤣
I get out quite a bit thanks. And I've traveled all across this great nation, and seen places both urban and rural.

But since this is not the thread for this, and its wading into both political and social issues we're not suppose to talk about on this site, we should just leave it there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom