News Disneyland Working on Future Master Plan- includes Theme Park Expansions, Retail/Entertainment Space, and More!

lazyboy97o

Any kind of huge expansion is years away. These placeholders aren’t exciting (especially Toy Story Land), but I understand why they’re there. There’s really nothing here though anyway. Just talk.

They need to focus on what we have now, like re-fixing DCA. DCA 2.0 is nearly already a decade old and it’s only gone backwards since.
If there ever even is any sort of expansion like this. This is about Disney exploiting the pandemic to get even more exemptions from the planning and development process. Unless Anaheim gets some strings attached there’s not much incentive for Disney to follow through as we’ve seen repeatedly around the world.

SteamboatJoe

Seems like they are just updating their master plan and had to throw some concepts in there to get the public excited and sell it. Taking the time right now to invent new things wouldn't make sense so might as well slap together a bunch of stuff you currently don't have. Can always come up with some new stuff or make changes once you get the approvals. Also strikes me as an attempt to get out ahead with PR and put public pressure on Anaheim to approve the revision of the master plan.

Last edited:

TP2000

I simply read this as "Please zone/rezone the areas we occupy with a basic envelope so that if/when we decide to develop or redevelop we can do so with little hassle." Basically Resort District 2.0 .

Things are very much intentionally vague.

That's a perfect summary of what all this is.

With a snazzy website using vague theme-parkey pretty pictures purposely designed to intrigue and excite the neighbors and get their support for future redevelopment.

That said, this reuse of the surface parking lots along Disneyland Drive is a new concept to be released publicly. It's a better use of the space than when Michael Colglazier wanted to build a new 5 star hotel on the Downtown Disney parking lots. :rolleyes:

That's all been forgotten now, and now Josh Damaro is going on record as saying that land is for Disneyland park expansion, not hotel expansion. That's the one piece of solid news out of all this.

The rest of this is just pretty-shiny marketing and political propaganda for local voters and business owners. Not that there's anything wrong with that, as any smart business with a recent history of icy relationships with the neighbors would do the same.

Last edited:

BayouShack

Disney said approve or we’ll turn Matterhorn into Olaf’s Bobsleds.
66C22B6C-1E9A-4B75-9C1C-7FBEC8C2F50D.jpeg

TP2000

Well, gang, it's already that part of the thread where I have to ask...

I assume there are YouTube videos going up where breathless bloggers in their home command centers are releasing videos scrutinizing every little detail of this artwork? And then blabbering excitedly about what it could all mean, and how the waterfall on this fake volcano looks just like that one waterfall from Moana and so Moana E Ticket Water Thrill Ride is CONFIRMED! for Anaheim?

I can't look. And it's too early for a cocktail to bolster my nerves. Someone else go do it. Go to the YouTube and find the bloggers already obsessing over this artwork and expansion concept and report back here, please. 🧐

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

I assume there are YouTube videos going up where breathless bloggers in their home command centers are releasing videos scrutinizing every little detail of this artwork? And then blabbering excitedly about what it could all mean, and how the waterfall on this fake volcano looks just like that one waterfall from Moana and so Moana E Ticket Water Thrill Ride is CONFIRMED! for Anaheim?

I can't look. And it's way too early for a cocktail to bolster my nerves. Someone else go do it. Go to the YouTube and find the bloggers already obsessing over this artwork and expansion concept and report back here, please. 🧐
I wish you hadn’t asked.

Darkbeer1

I can't look. And it's too early for a cocktail to bolster my nerves. Someone else go do it. Go to the YouTube and find the bloggers already obsessing over this artwork and expansion concept and report back here, please. 🧐

What I wrote to a former WDI CM who lives in Buena Park.

>>As a planning commissioner Mark, you should see that in reality, all Disney is asking for is another resort overlay, where individual projects don't need to go in front of the planning commission, like the current policy from the 1990's.

Disney has a very favorable council (6 friendly, one that opposes anything the majority likes). That said, Anaheim is a host city to the 2028 Olympics, and the Convention Center was being booked solid before COVID. Expect to see the Eastern Gateway get completed, and new Hotels, things that Disney wants, and will be needed in the next few years. Alas, the Shiny stuff is just that, Shiny stuff just for looks, and not being proposed. Just zoning changes.<<

Interesting to note, at the big Council Meeting where the council voted to get up to $210 Million in loans to cover the next few years of deficit spending's, Dr. Moreno was not available to attend via tele-conference.

BasiltheBatLord

I read the whole blog post and I still don’t understand anything about it.

It looks to me like a third park? But Disney says it’s not a third park? People say it’s just expansions of the existing parks but it doesn’t look like there’s any separation between the two “expansions” in the photos.

Also this is just a “proposal?” Disney announced it even when they don’t know if they’re going to do it yet? Is it to try and convince City of Anaheim?

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
So...this is awesome?!?

Even if it’s 1 in 3 to actually happen, it’s a (proposal for) real investment! In a theme park! In the US! 2 in fact!

Its shocking. I honestly thought this day was at least 1 CEO+5 years away.

And if it’s 75% clones of rides that otherwise only exist at SDL, TDL, TDS, and DLP.....so? 99% of DLR guests will never have a chance to ride them otherwise.

I’m pumped. Everyone start your letter writing campaigns to the Anaheim City Council lol.

Brer Oswald

It looks to me like a third park? But Disney says it’s not a third park? People say it’s just expansions of the existing parks but it doesn’t look like there’s any separation between the two “expansions” in the photos.

Also this is just a “proposal?” Disney announced it even when they don’t know if they’re going to do it yet? Is it to try and convince City of Anaheim?
Basically just a pitch to get the city on board with more development on that plot. Could be a hotel. Could be shopping. Could amount to nothing.

jaxonp

Have you been on the Winnie the Pooh ride they opened at Tokyo Disneyland back in 2000? That is lightyears better than the two cheap Pooh rides in the USA. And it's twenty years old and still leaves you with your jaw on the floor!

Hunny Hunt is still my favorite trackless attraction built and I've been on them all. There's just something about it that works.

SteamboatJoe

If you zoom in the plan view (not the pretty, artistic painting) you can see the middle, just east of Disneyland Hotel where all the purple buildings are is an esplanade with gates at the north and south. I can't imagine they would cut off the Disneyland Hotel path to the main gates.

mickEblu

Not sure if you were posting here at the time, but sometime in 2019 or 2018, we discovered that someone on Twitter who was stalking us and making comments directly from their Twitter page referred to our clan here in the DL forum as “a hive of miserable b@stards.” The name was fitting and some of us have been referring to ourselves as such since.

That reminds me, did we agree to a t-shirt design? @mickEblu @SuddenStorm

I think we have to go with the quote on the back for sure. As for the logo I’m thinking a beehive with this guy flying out of it...

18509818-0A0A-429F-9F56-12921A80308C.jpeg

jaxonp

The concept is meant to be ruminated on but good grief don't squander scarce expansion space on a Toy Story Land.

Studios Toy Story land turned out way better than I could have hoped. The Toy Story lands in Asia and Europe are a complete waste. Unless they're going to do something of the level they did at DHS, and honestly that a minimum, than don't do it at all. Slinky has been a big hit, is probably cheap to build, and they know people will eat it up. But... can't we have something unique?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom