Disneyland To Open Sept. 16th?

TP2000

Welp... It's now 4pm in Sacramento, on a Friday before a long paid holiday weekend. The bureaucrats all went home an hour ago, if they even came in to work today. There is no announcement from Governor Newsom on California theme parks in general, or Disneyland specifically.

So that pushes any news from Sacramento to Tuesday, September 8th at the earliest.

Which would seem to push the reopening of Disneyland towards the month of October, if I'm not mistaken.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Welp... It's now 4pm in Sacramento, on a Friday before a long paid holiday weekend. The bureaucrats all went home an hour ago, if they even came in to work today. There is no announcement from Governor Newsom on California theme parks in general, or Disneyland specifically.

So that pushes any news from Sacramento to Tuesday, September 8th at the earliest.

Which would seem to push the reopening of Disneyland towards the month of October, if I'm not mistaken.
I am gonna stand by what I have said from the beginning, if they don't open sometime in August, they will not open this year at all. I predict a January 2021 opening. I WOULD be happy to be proved wrong. but the closer we get to flu season.....

TP2000

I am gonna stand by what I have said from the beginning, if they don't open sometime in August, they will not open this year at all. I predict a January 2021 opening. I WOULD be happy to be proved wrong. but the closer we get to flu season.....

I don't think anyone thought it would go this long when it closed March 13th for two weeks to "flatten the curve".

In a rare defense of Governor Newsom, I do honestly believe that he is having a dynamic conversation with theme park operators in his state, and that he genuinely thinks he is being responsive and effective. I just fear he's dragged the conversation out too long, as the typical Sacramento career bureaucrats that fill that city have no idea how to run a business and have no concept of efficiency and timeliness.

And so the damage that's been done will take several years to repair for California's theme parks. With many small businesses in Anaheim that depend on Disneyland destroyed and gone for good.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I don't think anyone thought it would go this long when it closed March 13th for two weeks to "flatten the curve".

In a rare defense of Governor Newsom, I do honestly believe that he is having a dynamic conversation with theme park operators in his state, and that he genuinely thinks he is being responsive and effective. I just fear he's dragged the conversation out too long, as the typical Sacramento career bureaucrats that fill that city have no idea how to run a business and have no concept of efficiency and timeliness.

And so the damage that's been done will take several years to repair for California's theme parks. With many small businesses in Anaheim that depend on Disneyland destroyed and gone for good.
I agree, i don't think anyone thought it would be closed for this long

DrAlice

According to my county's health officer, September 8 is when the state will re-evaluate each county's color placement for the next 3 seeks, so maybe there was never any intention to make an announcement until that date.

Just a guess... ???

westie

Original Poster
Here in the S.F. Bay Area it was just announced that a couple counties are seeing a covid resurgence and others are seeing covid rates going down. I'm confused and losing hope for Disney to open by the 20th. My ressie date. I'm going to wait till thursday and cancel my vacation plans. Disney actually gave me till the 13th to cancel without penalty. (shrug) I wonder if they will try to talk me out of it again?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Here in the S.F. Bay Area it was just announced that a couple counties are seeing a covid resurgence and others are seeing covid rates going down. I'm confused and losing hope for Disney to open by the 20th. My ressie date. I'm going to wait till thursday and cancel my vacation plans. Disney actually gave me till the 13th to cancel without penalty. (shrug) I wonder if they will try to talk me out of it again?
I'm not sure what you mean resurgance when the overall 7-day trend is still going down for all Bay Area counties. This is the exact reason why they switched to look at the 7 and 14 day trends and not the daily numbers. You can have a single day spike and still be trending downward.

Emmanuel

According to my county's health officer, September 8 is when the state will re-evaluate each county's color placement for the next 3 seeks, so maybe there was never any intention to make an announcement until that date.

Just a guess... ???

Most likely we'll get an update then. OC should drop to Red by then too. They're also likely to get to Orange *Ba dum tiss* after 3 weeks staying and maintaining themselves in the red.

Imagine the headline: Orange County drops to its colored tier namesake Orange

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Napa county yes but, not Alameda county where I live. I guess it depends on what news station your watching.
I'm not watching some news station, I'm looking directly at the state's own website where all county data is stored. And ALL Bay Area counties are on a downward trend. Meaning I'm not looking at only a single county.

Alameda county is also trending downward from its peak back on 8/14. Its weekly change from the previous 7 days is down 15.3%. Again meaning its trending downward.

Again a county may have a single day spike, but still be on a week-over-week downward trend. Alameda County is doing just fine despite what the news reports say.

Darkbeer1

>>Q: With Disneyland being temporarily closed and corporate meetings being almost nonexistent, what type of business have you received at the hotel in the first few weeks of being open?

A: “What we’re learning is, people are making decisions, literally, they get up in the morning and they’re making decisions on where to take their children (and) can have fun and feel safe. Typically, our business used to be a business or leisure traveler (would plan) their vacation, some cases months, some cases weeks (ahead), now people are making these decisions the same day. What we’ve found in week one (of being open), local driving, those who can drive in, I can’t even tell you how many people I’ve met … who live in south Orange County … (drive-to business), that is our business until we get all of the meetings and conferences and business comes in.<<

“We also happened to have a small five-people, eight-people meeting (booked) the same day literally the second day our hotel was open. Somebody called us and they wanted to have a meeting for five people for today.”

SuddenStorm

>>Q: With Disneyland being temporarily closed and corporate meetings being almost nonexistent, what type of business have you received at the hotel in the first few weeks of being open?

A: “What we’re learning is, people are making decisions, literally, they get up in the morning and they’re making decisions on where to take their children (and) can have fun and feel safe. Typically, our business used to be a business or leisure traveler (would plan) their vacation, some cases months, some cases weeks (ahead), now people are making these decisions the same day. What we’ve found in week one (of being open), local driving, those who can drive in, I can’t even tell you how many people I’ve met … who live in south Orange County … (drive-to business), that is our business until we get all of the meetings and conferences and business comes in.<<

“We also happened to have a small five-people, eight-people meeting (booked) the same day literally the second day our hotel was open. Somebody called us and they wanted to have a meeting for five people for today.”

Sounds about right. The hotel I work at is an extended stay property that caters primarily to business travel, local conventions, insurance rooms, and ski travel in the winter. With all of these shot, and our rates about half of where they should be, our guests have shifted to primarily families wanting to take their kids swimming. Most of the people I check in now live within an hour of the property and come for the pool, bbq, and basketball court we have on site. We went from being busiest m-f, with slow weekends due to the business travel to slow during the week with 30% spikes in occupancy on the weekends, all for local families.

Oh, and some drug dealers, tweakers, and a prostitute but those are stories for a different time... which used to be far rarer at my property due to us being considered a 'nice' extended stay property with rates that (used) to reflect that, and far cheaper options nearby. I've had to evict two rooms in the last month.

Very interesting time to be working in hospitality. I've also noticed a huge shift in the last few weeks, with far more guests getting irritated at the additional covid measures we've had to take (no breakfast buffet, reduced housekeeping, etc.). I think more people are starting to get 'over' this whole mess.

Let me add, this model isn't sustainable. Our revenue is half of what it was last year, and with the additional cleaning measures we've had to add our costs are higher. Not to mention the added wear and tear on the rooms, that are getting abused by the occupants. I expect additional shifts in the hospitality industry if this ridiculousness continues into next year, with many hotels significantly altering their amenities permanently.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

I dig 'Extended Stay'
I've stayed in two over the years, very reasonable rates and the room was nice.
They used to email me special deals for quite a stint that I took full advantage of.

:)

-

Oh, and some drug dealers, tweakers, and a prostitute but those are stories for a different time... which used to be far rarer at my property due to us being considered a 'nice' extended stay property with rates that (used) to reflect that, and far cheaper options nearby. I've had to evict two rooms in the last month.

Haha! To clarify, I work at a Residence Inn by Marriott, not an Extended Stay America.

The wife, kids, and I just stayed at the Residence Inn on the corner of Katella and Harbor just a few weeks ago and definitely noticed A heavy amount of drug dealers, tweakers, and prostitutes. On our way to Downtown Disney one night we came across a friendly tweaker/homeless/prostitute who was screaming at traffic offering herself up for a very reasonable $200 to anyone who could hear her. Then across the street on the sidewalk next to the 7/11 there was what would appear to be a massive human bowel movement on the floor. Just a few steps down the road past the candy cane inn there was another homeless man pulling up his pants behind a bush after doing his business. The area has become very lovely.

The Residence Inn was very nice and the staff was great (maybe you helped us!) but everything around it was far worse than Ive ever seen in the resort area.

Darkbeer1

Alas, as many locations are closed, or have cut back due to lack of business, the amount of private security guards in the area have been reduced, along with other issues.

The city has worked wit CalTrans to close down the campsites under the freeway, pushing them elsewhere.

The city just added 100 new shelter beds, as have many nearby cities, and available beds are usually available IF the "person experiencing homelessness" is willing to accept the offer. Alas most refuse.

Last edited:

Jefro

Alas, as many locations are closed, or have cut back due to lack of business, the amount of private security guards in the area have been reduced, along issues.

The city has worked wit CalTrans to close down the campsites under the freeway, pushing them elsewhere.

The city just added 100 new shelter beds, as have many nearby cities, and available beds are usually available IF the "person experiencing homelessness" is will to accept the offer. Must most refuse.
Absolutely. There is little you can do besides offer.

Typically, from my experience/conversations, people that are living out of their cars typically are the under housed portion of the community. Those that aren't seeking or don't have even that type of "housing" just need to be pretty consistently voluntarily homeless. Saw all the time in Chicago and had lots of conversations buying people dinner and that came up over and over.

Hopefully they'll find the right people who are willing to take them up on shelter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom