Disneyland To Open Sept. 16th?

SuddenStorm

The wife, kids, and I just stayed at the Residence Inn on the corner of Katella and Harbor just a few weeks ago and definitely noticed A heavy amount of drug dealers, tweakers, and prostitutes. On our way to Downtown Disney one night we came across a friendly tweaker/homeless/prostitute who was screaming at traffic offering herself up for a very reasonable $200 to anyone who could hear her. Then across the street on the sidewalk next to the 7/11 there was what would appear to be a massive human bowel movement on the floor. Just a few steps down the road past the candy cane inn there was another homeless man pulling up his pants behind a bush after doing his business. The area has become very lovely.

The Residence Inn was very nice and the staff was great (maybe you helped us!) but everything around it was far worse than Ive ever seen in the resort area.

Unfortunately, the Residence Inn I work at is outside of California, so I didn't have the pleasure of dealing with those prostitutes, tweakers, and drug dealers.

Supreme Leader

The wife, kids, and I just stayed at the Residence Inn on the corner of Katella and Harbor just a few weeks ago and definitely noticed A heavy amount of drug dealers, tweakers, and prostitutes. On our way to Downtown Disney one night we came across a friendly tweaker/homeless/prostitute who was screaming at traffic offering herself up for a very reasonable $200 to anyone who could hear her. Then across the street on the sidewalk next to the 7/11 there was what would appear to be a massive human bowel movement on the floor. Just a few steps down the road past the candy cane inn there was another homeless man pulling up his pants behind a bush after doing his business. The area has become very lovely.

The Residence Inn was very nice and the staff was great (maybe you helped us!) but everything around it was far worse than Ive ever seen in the resort area.
Sounds like a normal day in San Clemente. 😂

Figments Friend

This is why i stay away from Harbor Blvd when i can.
The only good thing about Harbor Blvd. , besides Disneyland itself, is Mimi's Cafe.
That is IT!

Hotel / motels on W. Katella Ave. , West of Disneyland Drive, are more my thing.
They are close enough for a leisurely walk to Disneyland Park in 15 minutes or less under the beautiful palm trees and twinkling string lights..... yet far enough away to help you avoid the crowds, chaos, and 'touristy' vibe of Harbor Blvd.

It is a far more pleasurable experience in comparison, in my personal experiences over the years.
Remember, even Uncle Walt HATED Harbor Blvd. being right outside of Disneyland's front gate !

Look into some of those W. Katella options to avoid such happenings for the most part next time!
Nothing overly glamorous, basic lodging for the most part, but decent.

:)

-

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

Absolutely. There is little you can do besides offer.

Homelessness in California will never be resolved until we make an effort to understand how to prevent it. I don't buy the notion that most homeless people in California are resistant to permanent housing. From what I can tell the shelter programs in most California cities are nothing more than revolving doors. I can't imagine that this isn't obvious to most unhoused people, so why would they bother with offers to stay in a temporaty shelter?

OAN, I'd be surprised if the two DLR parks were fully operational before Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:

cmwade77

Sounds about right. The hotel I work at is an extended stay property that caters primarily to business travel, local conventions, insurance rooms, and ski travel in the winter. With all of these shot, and our rates about half of where they should be, our guests have shifted to primarily families wanting to take their kids swimming. Most of the people I check in now live within an hour of the property and come for the pool, bbq, and basketball court we have on site. We went from being busiest m-f, with slow weekends due to the business travel to slow during the week with 30% spikes in occupancy on the weekends, all for local families.

Oh, and some drug dealers, tweakers, and a prostitute but those are stories for a different time... which used to be far rarer at my property due to us being considered a 'nice' extended stay property with rates that (used) to reflect that, and far cheaper options nearby. I've had to evict two rooms in the last month.

Very interesting time to be working in hospitality. I've also noticed a huge shift in the last few weeks, with far more guests getting irritated at the additional covid measures we've had to take (no breakfast buffet, reduced housekeeping, etc.). I think more people are starting to get 'over' this whole mess.

Let me add, this model isn't sustainable. Our revenue is half of what it was last year, and with the additional cleaning measures we've had to add our costs are higher. Not to mention the added wear and tear on the rooms, that are getting abused by the occupants. I expect additional shifts in the hospitality industry if this ridiculousness continues into next year, with many hotels significantly altering their amenities permanently.
Well, honestly, the cleaning should have been happening all along, but the breakfast should still be able to be served, we did a road trip and one hotel figured out how to do it by requiring all guests to wear gloves that were provided when serving their food.

westie

Original Poster
Homelessness in California will never be resolved until we make an effort to understand how to prevent it. I don't buy the notion that most homeless people in California are resistant to permanent housing. From what I can tell the shelter programs in most California cities are nothing more than revolving doors. I can't imagine that this isn't obvious to most unhoused people, so why would they bother with offers to stay in a temporaty shelter?

OAN, I'd be surprised if the two DLR parks were fully operational before Christmas.

The problem with the problem is that only 2% of the homeless population want aid. The other 98% want a bottle and a doobie. I see no fast result. And in my hometown they are going from building to building destroying property. They avoid shelters because of the zero tolerance drug and alcohol rules and would rather sleep in a bush with a good buzz than sleep in a bed and get a shower. I have no fast answer.

BayouShack

The problem with the problem is that only 2% of the homeless population want aid. The other 98% want a bottle and a doobie. I see no fast result. And in my hometown they are going from building to building destroying property. They avoid shelters because of the zero tolerance drug and alcohol rules and would rather sleep in a bush with a good buzz than sleep in a bed and get a shower. I have no fast answer.

When addiction takes hold of you it’s no longer a choice. You lose control. You go into violent withdrawal if you stop. You won’t even be able to sleep without your substance.

Addiction is not a vice, it is a disease.

Needing a substance to avoid withdrawal and wanting to get better are not mutually exclusive.

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
Happy Tuesday! Definitely a great thing to see 😁

Attachments

• D08EB32A-1582-4D71-A942-41AE340EFA01.png
    D08EB32A-1582-4D71-A942-41AE340EFA01.png
    70 KB · Views: 156

Darkbeer1

When addiction takes hold of you it’s no longer a choice. You lose control. You go into violent withdrawal if you stop. You won’t even be able to sleep without your substance.

Addiction is not a vice, it is a disease.

Needing a substance to avoid withdrawal and wanting to get better are not mutually exclusive.

Anaheim has multiple Drug/Alcohol programs for the Homeless, including Drug Free Anaheim.

Orange County has the new Be Well program for Mental Health issues.

Anaheim has 2 programs to help deal with the Homeless.

The Homeless Outreach Team works with the social services group, CityNet.

Psychiatric Emergency Response Team (P.E.R.T.) partners with the Orange County Health Care Agency.

The help and the programs are there to help and provide services in Anaheim.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom